Hello everyone ...

w0UlMNB.jpg

I have this and the plan is to start with just the one build. Im thinking I will save the second one for a later time. My plan is to build it as a AT-6D used by the Spanish Air Force in North Africa. 52vFJaB.jpg

Fvnxvj8.jpg

Decal sheet is worth the cost of the boxing all by itself, mine are just left of center. 

ymifcp0.jpg

nd7qQ4q.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

A great choice, Dennis, and welcome to the GB :), That two-kit set offers some nice options. :)

As far as I know there are some nice aftermarket sets for the Spanish T-6s. I’ll have to do a search on the net ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Very nice subject!

Spanish aircraft and combat use in the Western Sahara is very interesting.... I wonder why the could use the Texan... because they had to resort to Bf-109 / Buchons instead of the plentiful F-86 Sabre....

Take your time, do NOT run ;)

• Thanks 1

For much the same reasons that the French used the T-6 in Algeria, the British in Kenya, the Portuguese in southern Africa, to name but three.  An appropriate combination of speed, ruggedness and payload.  Throw in cost of operation, ability to use a wide range of airfields with a fairly wide range of pilot ability, and a complete lack of enemy air opposition.

I also suspect that the provision of Sabres to the then-Spanish regime will have come with strong political constraints (basically home defence only), but a fairly totally unsuitable type anyway.  Even the Portugues only graduated to G-91s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

From where might I ask?

From me, John. I should have further spares. Would you like a set? They are the Sakr rails and rockets from the Airfix MiG-17. Apparently they are the same as those on the Spanish T-6 and Buchon. Who knew! ;) 

PM me if you’d like a set

Martin

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I see Martin has already volunteered the information. 

:)

My only thought now is whether they are also the same as the rails fitted to Swiss Mustangs? If so I might keep a set back. Don’t worry, though, as I would still have three spare sets - two for you Dennis :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

:)

My only thought now is whether they are also the same as the rails fitted to Swiss Mustangs? If so I might keep a set back. Don’t worry, though, as I would still have three spare sets - two for you Dennis :)

No I have rails for a 1/48 Swiss mustang, not the same for sure. Though I was going to modify those into the Spanish type so not too far different. The big difference being the oerlikon is over/under where as the Swiss type are single use. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Any new developments Dennis?

Hello John, no the rockets are in the post. I cant do much on this until they get here. I need to have them here to have an idea of where to mount and drill the holes in the wing. Once they arrive I can do that and mount the internal wing guns. Then I can add the under wing gondola’s for the guns, not sure if those held live or spent ammunition ? Once all of that is done Its just a little sanding and into the paint shop. Im itching to get back to her but cant. In the mean time Im working on my USS Essex project, the Cavalier Mustang can start tomorrow, and Im prepping for a double 57th F.G. Thunderbolt build from Italy which will follow as soon as my Essex build is finished. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In the mean time Im working on my USS Essex project, the Cavalier Mustang can start tomorrow, and Im prepping for a double 57th F.G. Thunderbolt build from Italy which will follow as soon as my Essex build is finished. 

Sounds like a busy bench!  Excellent!  I am off to make some struts for the LVG...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone … Well I received the rockets I needed in the mail yesterday from @RidgeRunner and after destroying my airbrush on my mustang build jumped over to this to calm down. I first drilled the holes for the six sets of rails, and glued the wings together. Then I needed to build up the shell collector’s for the 7.7mm wing guns. I took the spare Airfix hurricane in flight landing gear and sawed off the little half wheels. Glued them together and when they were dry I sanded and ground them down to a smoother/smaller width. They might be a bit oversized but the point is to get the idea and look across. Not to get micrometer perfection on everything. Once they were mounted I drilled some holes for the barrels, and added the guns to the wings. I finally mocked up the rockets to show what it will all look like.

G1wsrgv.jpg

UKCzxMu.jpg

6xVC9Ei.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5