Look At Life,... 1960`s Paratrooper,.... great views of the Beverley too!

tonyot

5 minutes ago, RichG said:

Just watched this on YouTube about 30 mins ago and I wondered if you'd seen it! :giles:

Rich 

Spooky!! 

I have a friend who was an RCT Air Despatcher in the 60's and he could have been one of those chaps doing sport parachuting as he was on the British team sometime about then. He often tells us of the time when he would make his own steerable canopy by experimenting with which panel to cut out of a second hand X type chute, and as each parachute was personal to the jumper who modified it they painted their surnames on the pack. My friend's used to cause some odd looks as his surname is Angel.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I have a friend who was an RCT Air Despatcher in the 60's and he could have been one of those chaps doing sport parachuting as he was on the British team sometime about then. He often tells us of the time when he would make his own steerable canopy by experimenting with which panel to cut out of a second hand X type chute, and as each parachute was personal to the jumper who modified it they painted their surnames on the pack. My friend's used to cause some odd looks as his surname is Angel.

He might know an old friend,..... an ex Air Despatcher from the 60`s,...... I knew him as my missus boss in the 80`s,..... Staff Sgt. (Dave?) Dixon,..... a proper old school RCT bloke and cracking mechanic. Loved his sailing and was in the Army sailing team,....... we still have a wicker basket that he gave us,..... probably ww2 vintage and used for dropping stores,..... scrubbed up really nice. 

Yeah those pioneers of free falling were rum uns for sure,...... stand up landings with an X Type are hard enough without having panels cut out,.... and I`m sure one of them had a WW2 German Fallchinrjager helmet on?

Cheers bud,..... Tony

• Like 1