Modern Air to Air and Air to Ground Weapons for Russian Combat Aircrafts in 1/72 scale

RAGATIGER

Hi there

Well I been considering to start a tread about the title, so let's start that I'm only a simple modeller, no conection with combat aircraft other than plastic modeling, living in a underdevelopment country also no local hobbyshop El Salvador in Central America (yes right down the border in the middle of Banana Republics) I also think the explanation is necesary to help you and me in the context so the real meaning I don't have no one around to talk about this

Ok I'm also a 1/72 wonderful scale nut, so I already have on the stash DML, Stream and ICM mainstream weapons kits, I also have the Hasegawa Su-27 flanker and Su-33 Sea Flanker kits (so I can say also have the weapons from there) some Advanced Modelling bombs and rocket launchers BUT there is also some Yefin Gordon books with explanations

BUT when I look other than Lierwikispedidia found lots of other weapons drawings and then find out that Chinese Flankers have things attach that look of Israeli Raphael 3, or AMRAAM looking missiles, then Russia in Syria but News networks add armed combat aircrafts with iron and corroded bombs.......... but not many bombs like 2 to 4 bombs max but no smart bombs ahhhh plus rocket pods

It also look that there is something related with the Russia invasion to Ukraine that don't sell them missiles afterwards

Anyway as example: if  you look for USAF aircraft in Vietnam War with lots of bombs its easy to find or NATO aircraft over Bosnia its easy to find them

But not for Russia ........ Ok you look for Russia Aircraft on Indian Service you too don't find too much photos but you find some, a MiG-27 with a Lightning Targeting pod maybe with israeli laser bombs

Well I like to dress my models with normal or standard weapons configurations but is hard to tell

Regards 

Armando

PD Right now I have 3 MiG-29 STM Fulcrum C (Zvesda, ICM and Eastern Express) on the workbench lots of decals and then just order some MiG-29 Fulcrum A (Italeri and Tamiya for the decals) but they all have pretty much the same stock ordenance and I like some variety

Like I understand AA-8 Aphid is long remplaced by AA-11 Archer but AA-12  Adler was made in Ukraine what is the medium range missile in use???

Dragon Model co. offered 2-4 sets of Soviet/Russian Air Force weapons in the late '90s. ICM has also offered sets of air-to-air, and air-to-ground weapons as well. I have the ones in 1/72nd scale. They may offer other scales as well; I don't know off hand. HTH

Joe

Hello, old Friend!

For modern Russian weapons, you can also check ResKit.  They have a wonderful amount of Russian bombs, missiles, and rockets/pods in 72nd scale.  They are not cheap but, they are beautiful representations of Russian weapons (some with photo-etch fins for added realism).  Shop around for the best prices!  ICM weapons sets are best avoided.  Their weapons are very crude, but their load-drawings are nice!

If you use Google, you can look for something like "MiG-29 1/72" for example, and you should get a lot of referrals and pictures for different MiG-29 kits and accessories.  There are a also some sites which will show the instruction sheets like Super Hobby and others (forgot another site, "1999..." something or another!).  Sometimes, I use other scales too for different paint scheme information or weapons loads.  Try it out and see if it works!

Hope this helps,

WARDOG

• Like 1

MiG-29 are basically and foremost air defence assets, shorter range fighters etc.

So for most of them, that is 9.12 and 9.13  Fulcrum A and C models that means R-27 semi active radar guided missiles an either R-60  or R-73 IR guided short range missiles.

You can also mount Bm-8b rocket pods or 250 kg bombs...

That's it basically.

What aircraft in which airforce during which timeframe do you want to depict?

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

MiG-29 are basically and foremost air defence assets, shorter range fighters etc.

So for most of them, that is 9.12 and 9.13  Fulcrum A and C models that means R-27 semi active radar guided missiles an either R-60  or R-73 IR guided short range missiles.

You can also mount Bm-8b rocket pods or 250 kg bombs...

That's it basically.

What aircraft in which airforce during which timeframe do you want to depict?

I was looking for samples from Irak, Poland Syria 

3 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

I was looking for samples from Irak, Poland Syria 

Than I suggest exact what I stated above.

Iraq had very early MiG-29s, so go for the R-60 

Poland use(d) both, the R-60 and the R-73.

Syria upgraded their 9.13 models, they where seen with AA-12 Adder/R-77 recently.

All were seen with the above mentioned air to ground weapons as well.

As to my earlier answer the Iraqis did only use 2 of the wing pylons, so being able to carrying two R-27R (AA-10 'Alamo') medium range and two R-60MK 9AA-8 'Aphid') short range air to air missiles.

59 minutes ago, Jabba said:

As to my earlier answer the Iraqis did only use 2 of the wing pylons, so being able to carrying two R-27R (AA-10 'Alamo') medium range and two R-60MK 9AA-8 'Aphid') short range air to air missiles.

Interesting!

Is there a reason why?

India also got very early MiG-29s and could only use R-60s and R-27s.... 

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi there

The thing I found very interesting is that those Syrian AF MiGs have 2 types of serials: one solid and one sectioned (a simple paper mask)

Lots of interesting things here you can find them by mark and by user country

http://mig.mariwoj.pl/

Regards

Armando

PD It looks that Hechizosuix Productions LTD have a new decals project

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Interesting!

Is there a reason why?

India also got very early MiG-29s and could only use R-60s and R-27s.... 

I am not sure why it does not say so in the books that I have. It also says that the Iraqis were not all that impressed with the MiG-29 and halted their order after only 33, with their interest in the more advanced Su-27 and possibly the Mirage 2000D which they were deeply involved with its development.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I am not sure why it does not say so in the books that I have. It also says that the Iraqis were not all that impressed with the MiG-29 and halted their order after only 33, with their interest in the more advanced Su-27 and possibly the Mirage 2000D which they were deeply involved with its development.

They were definitely badly equipped...

India was definitely more impressed!

Yes, Iraq was a very likely costumer of the M2000, but they wanted more than the basic C model  air defender.... see their top level Mirage F1 Q6 variants!

And the early M2000d was exactly so equipped.... :) surely not a strange coincidence!

Egypt bought very well equipped Mirage 2000E models in the end!

not sure what Saddam fought when invading Kuwait! Seems also to be hard to concede and give in once you notice  your miscalculation.... :wall:

But that is more or less everwhere the same :(

On 4/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, Jabba said:

The inner AA-10 Alamo pylon was moved to the middle position on at least some Iraqi Fulcrums (Fulcra..?).

Pics and some details in Tom Coopers "In the Claws of the Tomcat" volume.  

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...