1/72nd Minicraft Ventura Mk.IIa, FD640/B2, 34 OTU, RAF, based at Pennfield Ridge, Canada, late 1943-early 1944.

Hiya Folks,

Here is a Minicraft B-34 Lexington kit built as a Ventura of the RAF`s 34 OTU based at Pennfield Ridge in Canada in late 1943, early 1944. This Operational Training Unit was established to train newly qualified aircrew from around the Commonwealth who had qualified in Canada at the various Empire Air Training Schools, who were bound for the UK to serve with 2 Group flying Ventura`s, Boston`s, Mitchell`s etc.

This model represents Ventura Mk.IIa, FD640/ B2 `The Blissfull Jinx' equipped with a Martin dorsal turret and the decals came from Aviaology in Canada, whose instructions including photos of the real aircraft can be found here;

https://www.aviaeology.com/store/p176/Venturas-in-Canada-1_USN-34-OTU-and-test-aircraft_Docs.html#/

The WIP,... where it was built alongside an RAAF aircraft can be seen here;

And here is the model;

DSCF0230-NEW.jpg

DSCF0228-NEW.jpg

DSCF0229-NEW.jpg

DSCF0231-NEW.jpg

DSCF0232-NEW.jpg

DSCF0234-NEW.jpg

DSCF0227-NEW.jpg

DSCF0233-NEW.jpg

DSCF0236-NEW.jpg

DSCF0238-NEW.jpg

DSCF0235-NEW.jpg

DSCF0237-NEW.jpg

Just realised that I`ve knocked off the nose mounted pitot tube while photographing the model!! 

A massive thanks to Bill (Navy Bird) for sending me the kit, Chris (bigbadbadge) for the British style canopy and to Terry at Aviaology for doing the decals,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 37

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Minicraft Ventura Mk.IIa, FD640/B2 of the 34 OTU, RAF, based at Pennfield Ridge, Canada, late 1943-early 1944.
Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Tony, you have done a splendid job fella.  Fantastic model.

Chris

Thanks Chris. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Tony, you have done a splendid job fella.  Fantastic model.

Chris

I meant to say,... thanks for the canopy too mate.

• Like 1

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd Minicraft Ventura Mk.IIa, FD640/B2, 34 OTU, RAF, based at Pennfield Ridge, Canada, late 1943-early 1944.

You've done a cracking job with this Tony. I've just started the Minicraft kit myself, but hadn't decided on the colour scheme, but I do hope you won't mind if I copy this one. There's just something about that big "B2" painted on the fuselage. 

Thanks for sharing it here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cngaero said:

You've done a cracking job with this Tony. I've just started the Minicraft kit myself, but hadn't decided on the colour scheme, but I do hope you won't mind if I copy this one. There's just something about that big "B2" painted on the fuselage. 

Thanks for sharing it here. 

Thanks Chris,.....  yeah no worries mate and there are some other nice options on the Aviaology decal sheet in different schemes,..... mostly with huge letters! Good luck with your model.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

👍 👍 :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve!  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Ventura II with martin turret! Nice and different!

Thanks Dave,..... yeah it does make it look a bit different!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A masterpiece just like the other Ventures you have recently built. 👍  

Thanks mate,.... very kind of you.