SAAF Harvard MkIII, Encore 1/72nd (from the Dual Fun Box)...

John Masters

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good, lovely paint work John.

Thank you Steve.  My modelling, overall, has improved a great deal over the past two or three years and it is largely due to this forum. My hat's off to you all!

I really do need an airbrushing lesson or two.  I am still sometimes having issues with clogging paint.  

Anyway...time for some decals.  The decals are a bit thick @Corsairfoxfouruncle and they take a long time release from their backing...

The walkways are painted...

51123123151_5beceed443_c_d.jpg

The decals are cut out...

51123123121_26b2ffcdb9_c_d.jpg

And on they go...or went...

51122556392_d1c9126fa2_c_d.jpg

What are these three things?  Are they lights?  Should they be red, green and blue?

51123027028_462c4f5c6a_c_d.jpg

Some varnish and a light touch of exhaust and this will be in the gallery tomorrow.

--John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zebra said:

You really don't know the meaning of procrastination though do you?

Thanks zebra...

Well....I can sit around and do nothing with the best of them.  But I do like to keep active!  

3 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks zebra...

Well....I can sit around and do nothing with the best of them.  But I do like to keep active!  

Mrs Z suggested that maybe modelling and procrastination might actually be the same thing!

I am calling this one 'finished' and I am very pleased with it even though it is a more red day-glo, not orange.  I will let everything settle overnight and tomorrow take some better images in better light and add them to the gallery!

Now, to get some other stuff done (LVG, Snipe, Jaguar [Gulf War GB]...) before I start my second Texan!  Now, @zebra, that's procrastinating!

51123098852_e5563f1c3e_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

Another little beauty John

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

My English friends have dubbed me an anorak.  Oh well.  

wear it with pride (metaphorically, I suppose you don’t really need the actual coat where you live) although I thought we were all nerds these days.

I’m working from home today so I think I’ll go and procrastinate a clear coat onto a Skyhawk before I start!

8 hours ago, John Masters said:

What are these three things?  Are they lights?  Should they be red, green and blue?

Yes, John, there were lights. However the South Africans removed them. 

That is a little beauty of a build :). 👍👍👍

Martin

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, John, there were lights. However the South Africans removed them. 

That is a little beauty of a build :).

Thanks Martin.  I think I can take them off and repaint that area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zebra said:

I suppose you don’t really need the actual coat where you live

Certainly do!  It can get down to 0C here in the winter.  I am wearing a light fleece this morning and it is blissfully raining today.  High in the teens...

10 hours ago, zebra said:

wear it with pride

I do.  I just wonder what all these people do with their free time.  I suppose they yell a lot at the TV.

That looks very smart, John; I remember making the schoolboy (literally - I was 13) error of standing too close behind a SAAF Harvard when it started up with some loose gravel on the ground. Ouch...

If you don't mind me pointing out one glaring but probably correctable error, though: the springboks on the SAAF 'castle' insignia always faced inwards on the upper and lower wings and forward on the fuselage. Yours all face in the same direction (left).

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonners said:

Yours all face in the same direction (left).

Those would be the decals, not me.  They all faced the same direction.  

And since I have already varnished and finished the build, I won't be correcting them.  Thanks though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...