A 1/72 De Havilland Sea Vixen -Restored

I purchased this Frog Sea Vixen last year along with a De Havilland Vampire (F3 I think) and a Gloster Meteor. They were all bought as ‘needing TLC’ for £10 = p&p. 

The Sea Vixen always stuck in my memory as I live near Christchurch (Hampshire) where, up until the early 90’s there sat a Sea Vixen outside the shopping complex, which used to be part of the De Havilland factory where the Sea Vixens were built. My dad used to take us 5 kids on a surprise trip out (if we’d been good). On one such trip I saw the Sea Vixen as we went past - but we had no time to stop and look at it😔. I never did get to see it before it was removed as it was suffering damage from the weather and mindless idiots who would vandalise it every now and then. I’m happy to report it now lives at Tangmere where it can be appreciated by those who visit the museum - which I plan to do when circumstances allow.

O7jW2NN.jpg

This model had been built by someone who was either young or in a hurry to finish it - maybe both. The panel gaps were terrible as the sprue gates hadn’t been removed. The paint was so thick, it must have been poured on and there were finger prints in it.  The underwing stores were all pointing different directions. The decals were a sight to behold - especially the roundels as they were wildly off centre. 
But despite all that it was mostly there - just one outer wheel cover missing.

]
rx65toF.jpg
DriByHY.jpg

rBRDCqH.jpg

The WIP thread for this restoration is here 

I’m happy to report, the restoration of this Sea Vixen is now complete.

cY94LGE.jpg
NIifEQ4.jpg

3Z4nTln.jpg
5RhdFSS.jpg

Td603oP.jpg
LZgj2IS.jpg

With some other carrier borne aircraft from my collection.

4UNMWXL.jpg

And finally with what must be my favourite 3 completed jet models

nfUWSe9.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

AMAZING!!!

What a great salvage operation! 

Congratulations are in order!

JR

• Thanks 1