Jump to content

Finding it difficult to track down a 1/48 A-4B Skyhawk.


DrumBum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Greetings all,

As I continue to purchase the goodies for my Falklands diorama, I have the Kinetic SHAR and associated PE accoutrements and now trying to figure out where to get an A-4B, a short nose Skyhawk.

I know Hasegawa do an A-4B and a B/C variant with the additional Argentine comm/nav externals but I cant find any of these for sale.

Ebay has several listed in the almost 200 USD mark with shipping from Europe but are these kits really that hard to find?

Is there another “B” model Scooter that would fit the bill? Or maybe a resin nose to use with a later version of the A-4?

Cheers in advance, any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Edited by DrumBum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DrumBum changed the title to Finding it difficult to track down a 1/48 A-4B Skyhawk.

1/48 A-4Bs seem to be very sought after kits, particularly those with parts for Argentine aircraft, so be prepared to spend a lot of money... or be very patient and hope to find one whenever you're not expecting it (that is what often happens in these things). The Hasegawa C seems to be easier to find and generally cheaper, but still not a cheap kit by any standard, easily fetching twice as much as the A-4E and A-4M boxes.

As others have said, Hobbycraft also had a kit, not as good as the hasegawa one and a series of kits that didn't arrive in huge numbers in Europe... but may be easier to find in the US. A quick check on Ebay shows one available in your Country, so you may buy it right now. Be prepared though, it's not as expensive as the Hase A-4B but still not pocket money...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steel Beach SBA48118 is a A4B/C conversion for the Hasegawa A4E/F kits, unfortunately almost as difficult to find as the Hasegawa A4B kits...

Edited by Nebbor
corrected part number
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the parts layout for the Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4B/C Falklands kit.

The A-4B and A-4C share the same parts except the nose parts (K) for A-4B and (L) for A-4C.

As the A-4B and A-4C are powered by the J65 engine, there are differences in the fuselage air scoops and vents compared to that of the J52-powered A-4E/F/M aircraft. Hasegawa took care of that as well.

 

10037784z4

 

Edited by YK GOH
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, usetherudders said:

Hobbycraft do one in Falklands markings HC1433 I have one in the stash.

 

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbycraft-hc1433-a-4b-falklands-fighter--147280

 

I noticed this kit when I was conducting research however I have failed to locate one from the usual online stores.

 

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

1/48 A-4Bs seem to be very sought after kits, particularly those with parts for Argentine aircraft, so be prepared to spend a lot of money... or be very patient and hope to find one whenever you're not expecting it (that is what often happens in these things). The Hasegawa C seems to be easier to find and generally cheaper, but still not a cheap kit by any standard, easily fetching twice as much as the A-4E and A-4M boxes.

As others have said, Hobbycraft also had a kit, not as good as the hasegawa one and a series of kits that didn't arrive in huge numbers in Europe... but may be easier to find in the US. A quick check on Ebay shows one available in your Country, so you may buy it right now. Be prepared though, it's not as expensive as the Hase A-4B but still not pocket money...

Yep, tracked one down on Ebay but still up around the 100 dollar mark with shipping. I dont know much about the Hobbycraft kit but apparently its....ok?

 

6 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Steel Beach SBA48118 is a A4B/C conversion for the Hasegawa A4E/F kits, unfortunately almost as difficult to find as the Hasegawa A4B kits...

I ventured down this path also but alas cannot find any steel beach skyhawk nose.

 

5 hours ago, Nebbor said:

No idea if this would be also usable as a starting point for a A-4C to A-4B conversion, decide yourself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT4-R48019-A-4C-Skyhawk-big-radome-nose-section-for-Hasegawa-Upgrade-set-1-48-/293674937094

Now this has me intrigued and its on amazon too. I take it its a "B" nose that can go on a "C" kit? Now just gotta find a "C".......which is proving difficult also.

 

4 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Is there much difference between Hasegawa’s A-4B and C kits in terms of general shape?

I think its 1 foot and 1 inch difference between the B and C.

 

 

My plan A was a diorama featuring Sharkey Wards Harrier and the Dagger he shot down although I changed plans when I heard Morgans story of the encounter with the Skyhawk flown by Sanchez and thought this was an even better story.

I have the Dagger/Mirage on the way and will build it anyway however failing to secure an A-4B I may just have to revert to plan A. 

I must say I am finding hobby kits and materials harder to find, possibly related to supply chain issues? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built the Hobbycraft 1:48 A-4B. Break out your favourite mud, you'll need it......lots of it!!!!!

Edited by fubar57
Added extra exclamation marks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, fubar57 said:

I built the Hobbycraft 1:48 A-4B. Break out your favourite mud, you'll need it......lots of it!!!!!

Yes I understand its a little average in fit.

I have tracked down a HC "B" on Ebay and it is half the price of a Has kit, but still really expensive.

 

Apart from fit issues, is the cockpit ok and are the surface details reasonable?

And does the HC kit include the spine antenna/bulge particular to the Argentine aircraft?

 

regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DrumBum said:

Yes I understand its a little average in fit.

I have tracked down a HC "B" on Ebay and it is half the price of a Has kit, but still really expensive.

 

Apart from fit issues, is the cockpit ok and are the surface details reasonable?

And does the HC kit include the spine antenna/bulge particular to the Argentine aircraft?

 

regards

 

Hi DrumBum,

 

I have built the HC A-4C. I also own the "B" and is basically the same kit with different nose and decals. 

 

As fubar57 said, fit is not very good. Cockpit is spartan to say the least, and surface details is ok. Not as refined as Hasegawa's A-4, but ok. Panel lines are a bit on the heavy side, but look good with a coat of paint.

 

The HC kit does include the antennas specifically for argentinian Skyhawks (tail and fuselage).

 

Here is mine. I know is a C, but can help give you a general ideal of what the kit looks like. I only used a True Details ejection seat and change the horrible canopy and windscreen with a Squadron Vacuforme one (a must!).

 

Hope this helps!

 

 

Regards,

Tato

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do get a bit fed up with these 'limited releases'. There seems to be more decal sheets available for the B than there are kits and that's just daft. What are the makers of these decals thinking of in terms of kit availability for their subjects?

 

I already had an Hasegawa A-4C kit so bought a resin nose for originally designed to display the A-4A but appears to suit the basic A-4B. I'm hoping this, along with my own scratch version of the radio blister for the spine, will give me more options to choose from when building a kit to go up against my Kinetic FRS.1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tato said:

 

Hi DrumBum,

 

I have built the HC A-4C. I also own the "B" and is basically the same kit with different nose and decals. 

 

As fubar57 said, fit is not very good. Cockpit is spartan to say the least, and surface details is ok. Not as refined as Hasegawa's A-4, but ok. Panel lines are a bit on the heavy side, but look good with a coat of paint.

 

The HC kit does include the antennas specifically for argentinian Skyhawks (tail and fuselage).

 

Here is mine. I know is a C, but can help give you a general ideal of what the kit looks like. I only used a True Details ejection seat and change the horrible canopy and windscreen with a Squadron Vacuforme one (a must!).

 

Hope this helps!

 

 

Regards,

Tato

Tato, thanks for the feedback. It sounds to me like I will only consider the Hasegawa kit if I can rake up the courage to spend the insame amount of money.....

But your HC "C" looks great, it obviously turns out well in the correct hands.

14 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

I do get a bit fed up with these 'limited releases'. There seems to be more decal sheets available for the B than there are kits and that's just daft. What are the makers of these decals thinking of in terms of kit availability for their subjects?

 

I already had an Hasegawa A-4C kit so bought a resin nose for originally designed to display the A-4A but appears to suit the basic A-4B. I'm hoping this, along with my own scratch version of the radio blister for the spine, will give me more options to choose from when building a kit to go up against my Kinetic FRS.1.

Yep, I have located the resin nose but zero evidence that a "C" can be found to attach it to!!! Or Ebay prices as silly as the B/C version.

Do you have a plan as to which mrkings you will be painting the A-4/SHAR combo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DrumBum said:

Do you have a plan as to which mrkings you will be painting the A-4/SHAR combo?

If the nose works out ok then my preference would be an Argentine Navy A-4Q. If not, then an Argentine AF A-4C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DrumBum
I just checked my spare Hasegawa PT22 A-4C box that I had set aside with Argentine bits for such things and found an extra, spare "L" sprue in there for the C version nose.

Drop me a message if it could be of any use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RMP2 said:

@DrumBum
I just checked my spare Hasegawa PT22 A-4C box that I had set aside with Argentine bits for such things and found an extra, spare "L" sprue in there for the C version nose.

Drop me a message if it could be of any use.

RMP2 (Airbus pilot?)

Thanks for the offer but a "C" nose will still be too long to represent a "B". Also, the only A-4 kit I can find is an E/F which I think has bigger engine intakes so even a nose graft will not be sufficient to present a "B"

Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DrumBum said:

RMP2 (Airbus pilot?)

Thanks for the offer but a "C" nose will still be too long to represent a "B". Also, the only A-4 kit I can find is an E/F which I think has bigger engine intakes so even a nose graft will not be sufficient to present a "B"

Cheers

 

 

(I hope not. There must be a hell of a queue of passengers by now if Im supposed to be :) )

No worries. I know its wrong for a B, just thought its a start to another option of a C using an another boxing as a base was all. Had a quick look around earlier for the Bs and theres nothing, like you say.

 

Have you looked here for the common sprues? 

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hi DrumBum,

 

I just found on ebay a Hobbycraft A-4B. It's located in California as you are. 

 

It is ridiculously expensive, but it has the option of making an offer to the seller. Or you just can keep an eye for it until the seller drops the price.

 

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Craft-HC1433-A-4B-Falkland-Fighter-1-48-Brand-New-Sealed-Parts-Rare/184648068858?hash=item2afde1eefa:g:YRQAAOSw2DFgGhwh 

 

I know it's not much, but better than nothing I suppose!

 

Regards,

Tato

Edited by Tato
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

 

(I hope not. There must be a hell of a queue of passengers by now if Im supposed to be :) )

No worries. I know its wrong for a B, just thought its a start to another option of a C using an another boxing as a base was all. Had a quick look around earlier for the Bs and theres nothing, like you say.

 

Have you looked here for the common sprues? 

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

Wow, I have not seen this detailed break down of different sprues issued. Will take a look, thanks.

RMP, an Arbus thing, just coincidence. cheers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tato said:

 

Hi DrumBum,

 

I just found on ebay a Hobbycraft A-4B. It's located in California as you are. 

 

It is ridiculously expensive, but it has the option of making an offer to the seller. Or you just can keep an eye for it until the seller drops the price.

 

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Craft-HC1433-A-4B-Falkland-Fighter-1-48-Brand-New-Sealed-Parts-Rare/184648068858?hash=item2afde1eefa:g:YRQAAOSw2DFgGhwh 

 

I know it's not much, but better than nothing I suppose!

 

Regards,

Tato

Tato

 

Thanks, Yes I saw this yesterday. I even have a friend who lives nearby and can pick it up but I think I have settled on a Hasegawa  kit or nothing. I will go ahead with the diorama build starting with the Harrier and keep an eye on A/B Skyhawk kit market and grab one if it becomes available at more reasonable retail pricing but the almost $200 price range for one on Ebay right now is a little beyond my building skill level. cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, the Hasegawa kit is way better!

 

I just can't understand why Hasegawa doesn't keep those variants available all the time like de E/F or M models. The Skyhawk is a very popular subjet in all it's variants. Anyway, hope you find one!

 

Cheers.

 

Tato

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2021 at 10:14 PM, fubar57 said:

I built the Hobbycraft 1:48 A-4B. Break out your favourite mud, you'll need it......lots of it!!!!!

As someone that has attempted their A-4M, I gave up and still haven't built an M since the late 80’s. I will if I can someday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the Hasegawa A-4B initial limited edition boxing and the A-4C as well first issue. I had no idea they were getting so collectable. Looks like the TA-4J is getting that way as well. I'm sure Hasegawa will rerelease them sooner or later. I have heard they are hurting financially. 

Edited by jpk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jpk said:

I have the Hasegawa A-4B initial limited edition boxing and the A-4C as well first issue. I had no idea they were getting so collectable. Looks like the TA-4J is getting that way as well. I'm sure Hasegawa will rerelease them sooner or later. I have heard they are hurting financially. 

I suggest then selling them.now!

If you are not a collector but modeller of course! ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...