Finding it difficult to track down a 1/48 A-4B Skyhawk.

DrumBum

1 hour ago, cyanide14 said:

Hi everyone,

Is it difficult to convert Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4E/F to A-4C?

Planning to build an A-4SU.

You would need a new nose and new intakes. The B/C intakes are moulded into the fuselage on the Hasegawa kits, but they are seperate parts on the E/F kits.

Jens

Rather than come up with some sort of cite soup. here's my understanding of main physical differences:-

A-4B - Short nose, no boundary plates in intakes, 3 pylon (centreline and inners) wing. Argentinian P and Q models were based on this subseries.

A-4C - Longer nose ahead of cockpit, different IFR probe, intakes and wing as above. Argentinian C was based on this subseries.

A-4E to A-4M - Nose and IFR probe change again, larger intake with boundary plates, 5 pylon ( (centreline, inners and outers) wing. Israeli thermal jet pipe, and fuselage spine, appear on some aircraft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

You would need a new nose and new intakes. The B/C intakes are moulded into the fuselage on the Hasegawa kits, but they are seperate parts on the E/F kits.

Jens

The panels, doors, vents and scoops around the centre fuselage are all different due to the different engines, Hasegawa took care of the differences. Possible of course to sand everything off and re-scribe but quite a lot of work...

Hasegawa did re-release the A-4C kit a couple of years ago, IU managed to buy two, but could kick myself for not buying more as they all went in a jiffy and no even here in Japan none are available anywhere (unless second hand for ridiculous prices).

J

• 5 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 8:09 AM, cyanide14 said:

Anyone? Please help?

I only know of the conversion of Aconcagua resin from Argentina:

http://www.aconcaguamodels.com/prod/det_d_01.htm

min_003.jpg

Regarding availability etc, no idea.

Many years ago I used one of their Mirage conversion sets.  Worked out quite well!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cyanide14 said:

Anyone? Please help?

There used to be a Steel Beach Conversion for the Hasegawa A-4E/F to B/C but the maker shut down not too long ago and it's out of stock at the vendors that carry that product line.  Before Hasegawa launched their Skyhawk line there were KMC and Missing Link resin conversion kits for the Monogram A-4E/F.  I've used a couple Missing Link conversions and they were crude by today's standards.  The final option was a vacform replacement fuselage for the Monogram kit by War Eagle

On 07/11/2021 at 15:14, exdraken said:

Regarding availability etc, no idea

Drop a Messenger to Aconcagua Resin Models on Facebook. Hopefully the owner will answer (they reissued their 48th Pucará to be sold under the Dukel Hobbies brand last year).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 15/05/2021 at 09:21, Jens said:

Jens

On 07/11/2021 at 07:09, cyanide14 said:

Anyone? Please help?

As per Jens' comment, it is theoretically possible, but it'll be challenging.

I too am struggling to find the Hasegawa A-4B/C 😕 (they are rarer than the Hasegawa Sea King!)

1 hour ago, Vlamgat9 said:

CAT4 do resin conversion bits. Nose, intakes, antennae etc. You can find them on ebay.

Indeed they do! A little bit pricey; antennas £17.99, nose £14.39 and, intakes £17.99 - over £50 for the full conversion and that's before buying the Hasegawa kit!

On top of that, it's not particularly easy to get hold of a Hasegawa Skyhawk with the "old" tail anyway 😕

• 1 month later...

Well I've managed to grab myself an A4E that I intend to 3D print a new nose and different intakes for.... 

I now realise its more difficult than I first thought 😕

The new nose isn't too complicated, nor is the different antenna fit. However, the fuselage/intakes require a significant change - I think it's doable... 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for spamming this thread somewhat....

The most practical solution to this seems to be using the less rare, and much more affordable, A-4E/F.

Remove

Raised section on the intake

Splitter plate braces

Extra rectangular fins beneath the cockpit

Raised and recessed panel detail associated with the J52

Add

Scribe panel details applicable to J65

CAT4 intakes (remove the intake and attach that to the fuselage) £17.99

CAT4 nose (A4-C only) £17.99

CAT4 antennae £14.39

That basically gets you an A-4C, with a lot of work and rather more expense that is desirable.

I'm currently working on replacement 3D printed intakes specifically for the A-4E/F, but I'm struggling to get the parts to fit - I think I'll resort to using the CAT4 resin intakes! I intend to model an A-4B, 3D printing the nose and antennae too.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 06:05, wellsprop said:

working on replacement 3D printed intakes

Nice idea, it could become a widespread solution in the hands of someone with a 3D printer.

• 1 year later...

To follow up on this, as Hasegawa have re-released their A-4C, the best solution is now to use that with an A-4B nose conversion. 

Unfortunately, the CAT4 resin nose is far too small, however I am working on a 3D printed conversion. 

The Hobbycraft kit is off shapewise around the cockpit. I believe they went with the same dimensions as the the M release which is wider.

I' ve very likely have most of a HC B or C in my dedicated A-4 bits box ( whos obsessed, not me)

You can have it for postage as I'll never build it