Monitor & Merrimac

Faraway

Whilst wandering, a bit lost, around the internet. I came across this kit. I remember my Father built the Monitor, what must be 50+ years ago. 

I think this kit is a 1960's edition, it looks like fun despite the instructions being a bit brief.

Jon

p?i=ee28747b82a545945c0e843a83d4f67c

p?i=b135e26d6a3bb71344dbc6d5b3e94a46

p?i=303989690aaf56abbc8002de783607eb

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Tchech company "Roposmodels" has both ships in 1/350 scale as resin models. Might be hard to find due to the company being out of buisness ( I think, theis site is down) but you might still find some stock if you are lucky. I recently bought two other kits of that company in an online shop based in Prague. You wll probably end up with better, more detailed models in a "sensible" scale. I mean - 1/210? 1/300? WTF?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rop-os-samek-models-s350-002-css-virginia-1862--958377

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rop-os-samek-models-s350-003-uss-monitor-1862--958378

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Wonder what happened to all the Pyro moulds

At least some have been re-released (relatively) recently (2015) as Lindberg/Round 2 kits

I built a 1/1200 Yamato a few weeks back in a GB

/P

• 1 month later...

Lindberg got a hold of most, if not all, of the Pyro molds many many years back. It made for some frustrating purchases back in the late 90s -early 2000s when Lindberg was tooling up some decent kits in the automotive genre, but also packaging those old Pyro kits at the same time. I recall having been impressed with the Lindberg '61 Impala, Ford Crown Vic police car, '53 Ford Ind Pace Car, and so on, so I happily swiped up the "Lindberg" '48 Lincoln, only to cry with disappointment to see the old multi-piece, toy-like appearance of the Pyro kit within. The box art was a photo of the real car, so no clues given. I still taste the bitterness.

• Haha 1

BTW, Lindberg packaged the Monitor and Merrimack  together, along with a vacu-formed water base complete with cannonball splashes so you could display the battle of the iron-clads!

I believe all the Lindberg  ( and thus Pyro) tool inventory is now the property of Round2 Models, though someone more knowledgeable may have more exact info.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford
added info.

On 3/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, Faraway said:

I think this kit is a 1960's edition, it looks like fun despite the instructions being a bit brief.

Gidday, not sure if I've seen this before. At a glance I like the instructions as they say what each part actually is. As for different scales it would be disappointing from a scale perspective and true size comparison but it seems that they were built more to a similar size, USS Monitor at 1/210 scale would be 248mm long, CSS Virginia at 1/300 scale being 280mm long. They were 52m and 84m long respectively. But yeah, I would prefer that they were the same scale, 1/600 of course. 😁

Regards, Jeff.