F86 Sabre Italian Air Force

Rodders

Hi All,

the boss has chosen me the Airfix 72nd scale Sabre kit no.a3082. I've also got the eduard detail set ss397 plus a Pavle resin ejector seat. As i know nothing about the Sabre and even less about the Italian air force i was after info on the cockpit. The airfix kit has a grey colour for the cockpit but the eduard set has a black painted cockpit to bend to shape. I've only got the Haynes manual which i think focuses on the A which has a black cockpit.

Can anyone help with any info,

Thanks,

Rodders.

The Italian Sabre Mk.IV were all former RAF aircraft. These were US owned during their service British service and remained so after their initial retirement when they were refurbished in the UK before being delivered to other users.

I am not sure of what happened to the cockpits during this refurbishment work, but I've seen pictures of Italian aircraft with both black and grey cockpits ! Could be that black was the colour originally applied and grey was used after the aircraft passed through maintenance in Italy, could be that both colours were used during the refurbishment work, I have no idea. What matters is that you could use both

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The Italian Sabre Mk.IV were all former RAF aircraft. These were US owned during their service British service and remained so after their initial retirement when they were refurbished in the UK before being delivered to other users.

I am not sure of what happened to the cockpits during this refurbishment work, but I've seen pictures of Italian aircraft with both black and grey cockpits ! Could be that black was the colour originally applied and grey was used after the aircraft passed through maintenance in Italy, could be that both colours were used during the refurbishment work, I have no idea. What matters is that you could use both

thanks for the clarification,

Cheers,

Rodders.

16 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Very true ! However there are plenty of pictures of Italian Sabres in natural metal still sporting black cockpits

As I said, very rough. In fact it would be fair to say that the camo a/c should all have black cockpits.

• 2 weeks later...