Nicaraguan Military Air School T-6

Brad

Dad picked me up these decals a while ago and I thought this would be a good time to break them out, although I seem to have had the same idea as Foxbat for this GB! I picked the kit up many years ago slightly started, nothing beyond a few cockpit parts glued. 

tZeYsFW.jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Dad picked me up these decals a while ago and I thought this would be a good time to break them out, although I seem to have had the same idea as Foxbat for this GB! I picked the kit up many years ago slightly started, nothing beyond a few cockpit parts glued. 

Go for it, I have a plan C so nothing spoiled :)

Andy

• Like 2

Welcome, Brad!

Ah ha, a second build of the Blue Rider subject :). A very good choice :). 

if you ever consider building the Thunderbolt note that Blue Rider show it as a F-47D when the FAN were actually F-47Ns.

Martin

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Welcome, Brad!

Ah ha, a second build of the Blue Rider subject :). A very good choice :). 

if you ever consider building the Thunderbolt note that Blue Rider show it as a F-47D when the FAN were actually F-47Ns.

Martin

I did not know that about the F-47, thanks for that. I will now build my F-47 as Cuban or something else!

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I did not know that about the F-47, thanks for that. I will now build my F-47 as Cuban or something else!

Or get yourself a Sword kit ;) 

• Like 1

Today I attended the first model show in nearly 2 years with dad. Lucky there was a train show on only about 15 minutes from my house. Have to say it as nice to go to a show, considering the last one I attended I was crook as a dog and ended up in hospital getting surgery a couple of weeks after it. I got enthused after it and did quite a bit of work on this kit this afternoon.

Started with painting the interior and gluing the wings together. The fact it was 32C here today helped the paint and glue dry pretty fast.

9o73lYY.jpg

I picked out a few bits in the cockpit before putting it together.

JXare6r.jpg

Everything fits pretty well in the fuselage.

TexUwq7.jpg

I did have to run the knife over the mating surfaces, but once done the wings fit pretty snugly in place. There will be a bit of clean up around the front edges of the wheel wells but that's nothing serious. Not bad for an afternoons work, almost feels like a blitzbuild.

t9rgSqU.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/3/2021 at 2:08 PM, Brad said:

There will be a bit of clean up around the front edges of the wheel wells but that's nothing serious.

I found that too. It was pretty much the only weakness of the kit.

Nice quick work so far! :)

Martin

• Like 1

I used some paper just to keep the super glue in the corners of the wheel wells to wing joins, this allowed the glue to fill the gap nicely and get sanded back.

0L8srD2.jpg

After that, I just continued with the build. However I ran out of the brand name scaple blades and those are the sharpest, the dodgy quality ones I have are no good for the way I do canopies, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday now.

MPJhdcT.jpg

• Like 4

A great choice Brad :thumbsup2:.  I'm another Blue Rider fan.  Their decals can be a bit thick sometimes (who am I to talk!), but that shouldn't be a problem on a nice smooth Texan.

• Like 1

Good news is I found some excel #11's on Saturday, so I masked up the canopy, glued it on and painted some interior colour. I also did the yellow for the rudder as I hate using decals for rudders, they never sit right.

JPvJVkc.jpg?1

A little more masking and we're done. So much easier and it looks a lot better. Now I just have to let it dry and mask it off.

8TnF9XQ.jpg?1

• Like 5

Camo on. I just picked a couple of appropriate olive greens and went to work.

izlT5p9.jpg?1

Gloss, decals and ready for weathing. Blue Rider decals are a touch thick, but settle down well with some Mr Mark.

7mnjBUC.jpg?1

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Potato Pete said:

Excellent, I really like it. 

I assume the browner look of the final photos is it just the lighting?

Pete

A little yes, but the matt coat did bring the colours much closer together which was a little strange.