1/48 Northrop F-5 E Tiger III - Chilean Air Force (FACH) - AFV Club kit

Hello friends!

Since 1976 the Chilean Air Force (FACH, Fuerza Aérea de Chile) have been equiped with 18 original F-5 E Tiger II. The Freedom Fighters came to join the FACH during a very difficult time of diplomatic relationships with our eastern neighbour: Argentina. On 1978 tensions arose to a point that almost lead our two countries into a war, after Argentina declared null an international referendum in favor of Chile about three islands on the Beagle Channel, south of Tierra del Fuego. Luckily, peace prevailed. At that tough times the FACH was equipped just with some 30-ish Hawker Hunters, A-37 Dragonfly and the new F-5 E Tiger II in opposition to more than 70 argentinian aircrafts between Skyhawks, Mirage III, Daggers and Canberras. 

During the 90's FACH decided to upgrade the Tigers with the help of Israel's Aeronautic Industry. That's how the Tiger III version was developed, with a lot of new gadgets, including new radar (ELTA EL/M-2032), RWR, Pod Lite, chaff dispenser, in-flight refueling capability (by Tiger Century) and a complete new HUD and instrument panel.

AFV Club is most usual a tank's model brand, but they did a very nice work engineering this little jewel. 

About the ordnance, a pair of Phyton IV missiles (by Reskit) on the tip of the wings and 2 GBU-12 bombs (from the spare parts box) on the inner wing pylon along a 1040 lt. fuel tank on the central pylon. 

Nowadays, the F-5 are still in service, with 13 units based at Chabunco Base, near Punta Arenas.

So, enough talking, let the photos show you my tribute to this cherish american fighter.

Best wishes from Chile and happy modelling to all!

Cris

IMG_E7387

FGUN8896

IMG_E7407

IMG_5006

IMG_5008

IMG_5007

IMG_5005

IMG_5004

IMG_4985

IMG_4979

IMG_4981

IMG_4983

IMG_4982

Edited by Cris Garcia
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 2

• Cris Garcia changed the title to 1/48 Northrop F-5 E Tiger III - Chilean Air Force (FACH) - AFV Club kit
10 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great model and an interesting back story that I was unaware of. I had the very good fortune to visit your country in 2019 and really enjoyed my time there. Go Chile! 🇨🇱 

Thanks Steve! I wish I can travel across the Pacific and witness the beauties of Australia.  Hope it will be soon, as one of my best friends from childhood (chilean) lived in Melbourne for 10 years now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellas! A little update on the Tiger III ordnance.

After a very interesting conversation with a former FACH pilot who flew the F-5E Tiger III on the late 80' and early 90', he was adamant that the main task of the chilean Tiger was interception and aerial superiority, so 4 AAM are more accurate regarding the actual ordnance of the local version of the F-5. Hence, I removed the GBU's and installed another pair of Pythons IV (alternative could be a pair of -also israeli- Derby missiles). GBU capability o the chilean Tiger is real, but that task was given to the Mirages in the 80'-90's and since 2006 to the F-16 Vipers.

IMG_5059

IMG_5060

• Like 2

Simply superb.  Lovely subject.  represented by the best of modelling.

Zhizhou

• Thanks 1