A Group of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs and a Hasey Friend

CedB

On 01/03/2023 at 12:44, perdu said:

Snip the pieces off the runners and save in a small box, save SOME straighter runs off the runners to use for stretching and plant the rest in re-cycling.

Saves space.

Reminds me I ought to do the same instead of having unwieldy lengths of useless polystyrene hanging around.

🥳

On 01/03/2023 at 12:49, perdu said:

A rationale: you do  not need the part numbers once the model is done, do you?

You will find  the space saved more useful than lengths of unidentified plastic which you will remember came of the Tilson Butterfingers mark three you made in 2002.

And yes I really need to start doing this myself, do I need five sprue sets from old Frog Typhoons?

Boxes of Catalina runner which I saved because they are the thickest of polygons I can remember seeing in a kit?

NO

On 01/03/2023 at 12:50, giemme said:

That's what I do! :frantic:  :rofl: 

Except for ordnance: those, I snip them off their sprues and keep them in a separate box, along with their decals :winkgrin:

Ciao

Great tips chaps. I have boxes I've bought to do exactly this. When I get around to it…

On 04/03/2023 at 07:27, The Spadgent said:

@CedB when you did the top coat what did you do with the NMF? Mask it or leave it? I’m assuming leave. Was that ok with your silver bits?  Or did you brush it on? I just gots ta know. 🤔🤔🤔

also.    

an advent calendar….

full.

of.

WINE!!!! 🤩🍷🍷

why do I not know about this???  *(adds wine advent calendar to Amazon shopping g list) 😉

Regardless everything is looking great. Get those wings on to stop me worrying about it, I guess if you have to do any filling you can add a dot of that thar magical metal paste. 🤩

As for spares I keep em on the trees just so I don’t need to go and find the other bits. (Usually sun assemblies and such)

eeek. That was a bit of a waffle. 

carry on dear boy.

Johnny. 🙌🙌🙌

Once the paste is 'cured' it takes a top coat fine, but I lie to leave areas 'bare' as they gradually weather themselves. Like this one:

52731956059_13968d2cb4_z.jpg

On 04/03/2023 at 18:22, Pete in Lincs said:

Chortle! Come on Ced, do keep up!

Sorry Pete, still out of practice!

What am I up to?

Trying to remove the dried on masking fluid. Getting there, very slowly:

52731170757_b28ddd6b67_z.jpg

• Like 17

Slow progress, busy life…

Getting there with the masking removal:

52736057899_5e694277cf_z.jpg

I hate close up pics.

First pass on the Hase seam:

52736283673_be8e6325d0_z.jpg

• Like 21

On 04/03/2023 at 17:45, perdu said:

(Usually sun assemblies and such)?????

Gah!!!! Yes thanks @giemme I meant “Sub assemblies” this dang phone … or maybe my sausage fingers. 

On 09/03/2023 at 09:45, CedB said:

Getting there with the masking removal:

52736057899_5e694277cf_z.jpg

How strange Mr B. I had exactly the same problem on my build last night. The fluid had gone all crispy and was a real pain to remove.   Glad to see you’re getting the better of it mind. She’s looking great. 🙌🤩

Johnny

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Heather and Giorgio.

On 09/03/2023 at 12:40, perdu said:

Can I send you my Hasegawa Lightning to de-seam please Ced, you're working wonders on that one?

No thanks. I hate de-seaming, sorry.

On 10/03/2023 at 18:07, Cookenbacher said:

I must get some more metal paste - the B-24 looks fantastic!

The Hasey is already looking very B-17ish.

Do Cookie, I love it. Did you guess?

On 11/03/2023 at 07:52, The Spadgent said:

Gah!!!! Yes thanks @giemme I meant “Sub assemblies” this dang phone … or maybe my sausage fingers. 

How strange Mr B. I had exactly the same problem on my build last night. The fluid had gone all crispy and was a real pain to remove.   Glad to see you’re getting the better of it mind. She’s looking great. 🙌🤩

Johnny

Auto-correct eh? 

A lesson I've learnt now - don't leave masking fluid on for a long time. I checked the Molotov website and guess what that says.

"The Masking liquid can be removed without leaving residues for two days after drying."

Ah, not months then. Oops.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some progress has been made!

Despite life getting in the way.

Not only grandchildren, bless them.

One of my best school mates passed away at the beginning of March and I went to his funeral last week. It's a bit sobering when people of your age start 'moving on'.

Then we had some friends down planning to go on the Wine Arts Trail - remember the London Bus drinking trip? My friend passed out getting out of bed. Ambulance called, trip cancelled and 24 Hours in A&E. Just like the TV!

I guess I need to get used to it.

Anyway, the nose on 'Little Miss Mischief' got cleaned up and the top re-pasted:

52797494769_ff7e30a39d_z.jpg

Happy with that, but the bottom needs a bit more attention (fnaar):

52796682447_81dcbc8c22_z.jpg

Seams on the Hase are receiving attention too:

52796683022_29e6c15974_z.jpg

52797697963_19abed4680_z.jpg

BUT the lawn needs mowing and we're off to the Daughter's for Easter. Hopefully eggs will be had. Or bunnies. Chocolate, of course.

• Like 20

Good to see some progress.

Commiserations on the loss of your friend, it is indeed a sobering thought when people your age begin to disappear. We nearly lost a good friend, several years younger than me,  at the  beginning of the year, he had a severe heart attack with electric shocks and the whole works. Fortunately he  managed to survive after several weeks in hospital and a month in what used to be called a sanitarium ( they still have them here ) in the UK.

Have a good Easter

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your friend, Ced.

The clean-up looks to be proceeding well :thumbsup2: 

Happy Easter! Have a lot of chocolate! :) 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sad times Ced, sorry for your mate's loss and pleased that your other chum got over his episode.

Giorgio re: clean up has it right, looking promising,

Easter, a time to reflect and also stocking up on chokky

I advise the latter rather than too much introspection

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Condolences on the loss of your friend, Ced. Thoughts of mortality hit me early with my cancer diagnosis. Then all my rock 'n' roll heroes started dying (the ones who didn't pass when they were 27 anyway) and then mates from school, etc. Getting old ain't what it used to be.    :(

Fortresses looking good.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's official. Getting old does suck. 

We lose our friends and hero's. But it's an honour to be able to pay tribute to their lives. And to remember them as we go along.

Heart attacks suck too. Done that twice. Got rebored the first time. It worked for seven years. Second time they used spares*. Highly recommended. 

Ced remembered how to do a Fnaar! Yippee!

Oh, nice models BTW.

* You have two veins in each leg. You only really need one. They contain non return valves. Useful. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yes, really sorry to hear of your friends demise Ced. I have several (younger) friends who between them have recently suffered a major Heart attack and close calls with the big C. All are OK now, but the calls were very close. I also lost a very good friend nearly 20 years ago to a sudden heart attack. He was in his mid 40's at the time, with a young family.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You have two veins in each leg. You only really need one. They contain non return valves. Useful. 

Tell my legs that Pete! Had to have leg veins lasered last year, and in one leg the blood was indeed going the wrong way in the vein! That leg is still not right, so am back to the laser people this summer. But none of that has been life threatening thank goodness.

Good progress on the build Ced.

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Oh Ced. 😔 So sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he had a good life. Excellent to see you back at the fortresses, they’re looking spot on. 🤩

Enjoy Easter with the family. 
many egg hunts? 🐇🪺

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your loss Ced, but anyone who can count you as a friend must have lived a good life.

The B-17s are looking grand, and my trumetal paste arrived last week - just need to build something to try it out on!

• Like 3

Thanks Guys, very kind of you all.

Easter went well with only one egg (cuh!) and then it was back to the grindstone. I think I'm volunteering too much; it's certainly curtailing my modelling time. Nice to be busy though I suppose.

I'm a bit obsessed with the nose on 'Sleepy Time' but I'm almost there now:

52822238875_036b00edbd_z.jpg

The Hase seams are done, I think:

52821263682_f379bc9b30_z.jpg

Onwards.

• Like 17

On 16/04/2023 at 17:19, CedB said:

Easter went well with only one egg (cuh!)

One more than I had.... :( (I did get a very nice dose of 'flu though which laid me low for all of last week, gone now though. Touch wood!! 🤣 )

Gals are coming on well, 'Sleepy time' has a very pretty nose!

Keith

• Sad 2