A Group of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs and a Hasey Friend

CedB

On 07/06/2022 at 15:53, AdrianMF said:
On 07/06/2022 at 10:30, CedB said:

"Only my Mother called me Cedric, and only when I was in trouble" I say.

Me too? If Mrs MF calls me “Adrian” and not “Ade” then I start wondering which think in particular has annoyed her this time…

Ced, Adrian,  If ever my parents got mad at me, for family reasons that are too invcolved to go into, I only ever got called John !! when parental disapproval was voiced.

They couldn't go "John Edward George!!" could they? By the time they's finished they'd have forgotten what I had done. 

Of course, my wife instantly knows when I'm displeased with her, because it's Angela !! instead of Ange.

Oh, and Angela can only say "John!" no matter what it is I've no idea I've done.

Ced, you're out tomorrow? We're taking the grandson (now 3) to Drayton Manor tomorrow for Thomas world. He's obsessed with trains, you see!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, rob85 said:

saw some pics of Facebook and the models look amazing.

Where on facebook are these Rob?. Ced's picture of the illustrious gang of 7 is great, but what I really want to see are the models!  I found 453rd Bomb Group Heritage Museum, but that doesn't show any and I also found 453rd Bomb Group Heritage Collection, but that's a private group, so my request to join is still pending. I assume they are there?

Well done @The Spadgent, @Fritag, @general melchett, @tomprobert@woody37, @giemme and of course you Ced, for making this happen!

I'm anticipating my package from Jim some time soon!

Terry

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced, Adrian,  If ever my parents got mad at me, for family reasons that are too invcolved to go into, I only ever got called John !! when parental disapproval was voiced.

They couldn't go "John Edward George!!" could they? By the time they's finished they'd have forgotten what I had done. 

Of course, my wife instantly knows when I'm displeased with her, because it's Angela !! instead of Ange.

Oh, and Angela can only say "John!" no matter what it is I've no idea I've done.

Ced, you're out tomorrow? We're taking the grandson (now 3) to Drayton Manor tomorrow for Thomas world. He's obsessed with trains, you see!

I'd never thought of that John (said nicely) :D

Have a good day at Drayton.

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely red there Ced. Seems like a mojo boat was just what the doctor ordered. 😀

Johnny.

Just got to get back to the bench myself.

🦸‍♂️

Thanks johnny - absolutely! :)

13 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Where on facebook are these Rob?. Ced's picture of the illustrious gang of 7 is great, but what I really want to see are the models!  I found 453rd Bomb Group Heritage Museum, but that doesn't show any and I also found 453rd Bomb Group Heritage Collection, but that's a private group, so my request to join is still pending. I assume they are there?

Well done @The Spadgent, @Fritag, @general melchett, @tomprobert@woody37, @giemme and of course you Ced, for making this happen!

Terry

Models? Here you go:

52145975570_748d269e56_z.jpg

52145975565_4926a1cf03_z.jpg

Woody's I think.

52145975555_f470840920_z.jpg

Fritag's Spitfire

52145489061_af97aa43a9_z.jpg

Johnny's Mustang, Giorgio's Mustang and I think Woody's?

52145489006_a0eb02991f_z.jpg

The General's Lightning and Tom's B-17s.

Most have been RFI'd here (except perhaps Tom's two B-17s in the last pic) and I wasn't watching who brought what so if I've mis-labelled them, sorry.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Bit of time this morning so I started practicing the masking on mine:

52144461937_c758bfb500_z.jpg

Tools all over the place. This is the bit I'd been dreading:

52144462447_0940085a23_z.jpg

I may use Oramask on the anti-glare I think.

Later.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

Models? Here you go:

Thanks Ced! They all look great, and I had followed two or three of the RFI's but missed the rest. Great to see them in their new home!

Nice bit of masking practice!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's great to see you back at it, Ced, looks like you're making good progress. Saturday was a thoroughly enjoyable day, and it was great to catch up with everyone; hopefully, we'll do it again in the future.

My Dad's favourite book. Lucky for me I suppose, it could have been 50,000 leagues and I'd have been Nemo…

Count yourself lucky...my father's favourite read was the Necronomicon. Doesn't bear thinking!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Ced! They all look great, and I had followed two or three of the RFI's but missed the rest. Great to see them in their new home!

Nice bit of masking practice!

Terry

You're very welcome Terry :) 

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

It's great to see you back at it, Ced, looks like you're making good progress. Saturday was a thoroughly enjoyable day, and it was great to catch up with everyone; hopefully, we'll do it again in the future.

Count yourself lucky...my father's favourite read was the Necronomicon. Doesn't bear thinking!

Thanks Melchie :)

Great to see you again too - now I just need to try to reach that high bar set by you and others. Gulp.

There will be more visits I'm sure; the museum's getting bigger!

Necronomicon? Gracious… Mr Lovecraft* has a lot to answer for.

* He's the author. Behave yourselves

17 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

CedB—thanks for sharing the build display & the B-17 is looking like another benchmark build—best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin - too kind :)

There will be a short intermission while I try to cope with this heat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, CedB said:

There will be a short intermission while I try to cope with this heat.

What heat?

:D  :D :D  

Ciao

• Haha 3

Typical, I duck out for a bit & the fun begins. :(

It was nice to see in the models at the museum the results of the varied threads on here concerning them. Well done those chaps. 👍

I've impressed with your progress Ced, a good recovery on the stickiness woes, looking good now. :)

I came in on this when you were having paint cap probs, it brought to mind the other day when I had a bottle of Testors steel that had a grip of the same twixt cap & bottle. My once steely grip wasn't up to it either, very ginger use of multi grips won the day but I really do need something a bit more jar friendly.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 9:33 AM, Terry1954 said:

Terry

8th airforce heritage gallery group on Facebook. Jim has put a number of pics on there from the visit and models. Hope that helps!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rob85 said:

8th airforce heritage gallery group on Facebook. Jim has put a number of pics on there from the visit and models. Hope that helps!

Rob

Yes, thanks Rob. I actually got an invite to join from Jim this morning!

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 08:29, giemme said:

What heat?

:D  :D :D  

Ciao

Well, er, hot for England! Shorts on (you have been warned!)

On 15/06/2022 at 11:11, stevehnz said:

Typical, I duck out for a bit & the fun begins. :(

It was nice to see in the models at the museum the results of the varied threads on here concerning them. Well done those chaps. 👍

I've impressed with your progress Ced, a good recovery on the stickiness woes, looking good now. :)

I came in on this when you were having paint cap probs, it brought to mind the other day when I had a bottle of Testors steel that had a grip of the same twixt cap & bottle. My once steely grip wasn't up to it either, very ginger use of multi grips won the day but I really do need something a bit more jar friendly.

Steve.

Thanks Steve :)

You need a 'Baby Boa Constrictor Strap Wrench' (posted above) to hold the jars. Make sure you get a small one. Cheap as chips.

On 16/06/2022 at 09:34, rob85 said:

Rob

Ah, FaceBook. I came off that as I was fed up with being tracked and sold to.

I may need to re-activate :( 

On 16/06/2022 at 09:42, rob85 said:

Fine work with the masking by the looks of it so far, I’m sure you will nail it! Looking forward to the true metal!

Rob

Thanks Rob - it's a trial to be honest…

On 16/06/2022 at 09:57, Terry1954 said:

Yes, thanks Rob. I actually got an invite to join from Jim this morning!

Terry

Great news Terry :)

• Like 2

Very slow getting back in the masking groove:

52183915179_71b7db8f66_z.jpg

In my defence, life has been getting in the way.

I've picked up my new specs which are making a huge difference - the cheap ones didn't correct my astigmatism apparently, but these (more expensive) vary-focals are great. I can see!

Had a trip to the Roman Villa at The Newt - amazing. They found a villa in the grounds, had archeologists document it and then built a full sized 'replica'. Stunning!

Hot though - 28º, phew.

We grabbed a quick break too - overnight ferries to St Malo and then four nights looking at Chateaus in the Loire.

Very relaxing, if not a bit hot one day - 38.5º!

Leonardo da Vinci moved there for the last three years of his life and there's a great museum at Chateau Clos Luce (sorry, can't remember how to accent 'e's)

Also found a great hotel in Chateaubourg; Ar Milin stands across the river and in large grounds with art works scattered around. Worth a trip.

Police Advisory Group taking my time trying to recruit.

Eldest down for the weekend with connected grandchild care.

Old Theatre - my first tour, went OK.

No more excuses. I shall continue to mask.

Slowly.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, CedB said:

(sorry, can't remember how to accent 'e's)

search for "character map". I have it permanently on my taskbar.

The French trip sounds very interesting!

Ian

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

search for "character map". I have it permanently on my taskbar.

Thanks Ian, I have had problems with this for years. Now I can finally  email my French friends properly (they seem not to speak Martian for some inexplicable reason).

Grateful of Mars 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ian! :) 

Looks like a Windows feature… on my Macs, there's a couple of methods. The easiest is to hold down the key to accent and choose one from the pop-up menu.

So you can à é ī ö ū č to your hearts content!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Slowly.

Patience, dear boy, patience. You'll get there, in the end, and the Museum will have a worthy addition to the bombers collection :) 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Slowly.

As Giorgio suggests, patience when masking is the answer Ced, and I agree with him that you will get there. I've realised lately that a huge percentage of the "paint time" of any model I make these days, is taken up with masking!

I'm watching closely to pick up tips for when I do my B-17 😬

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

St Malo yes?  How was the ferry? Next year I am doing Poole Cherbourg again but I do fancy arriving in France in a different place for '24.

24 for the 24, sounds almost lyrical no?

Ced I am one who hates, detests and sincerely dislikes masking, how about if I get my models for masking over to you so you can have more fun?

The trip to France you undertook sounded marvellous, I hope to get Mrs P to travel there with me, I'd forgo the 24hrs if she did.

Now, where was I?

Oh yes packing a Hurricane and Hunter for a trip to Bathshire...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 01/07/2022 at 09:13, giemme said:

Patience, dear boy, patience. You'll get there, in the end, and the Museum will have a worthy addition to the bombers collection :) 

Ciao

On 01/07/2022 at 09:20, Terry1954 said:

As Giorgio suggests, patience when masking is the answer Ced, and I agree with him that you will get there. I've realised lately that a huge percentage of the "paint time" of any model I make these days, is taken up with masking!

I'm watching closely to pick up tips for when I do my B-17 😬

T.

Ah, there you go again with that 'patience' stuff. I really must get some :)

On 01/07/2022 at 09:26, perdu said:

St Malo yes?  How was the ferry? Next year I am doing Poole Cherbourg again but I do fancy arriving in France in a different place for '24.

24 for the 24, sounds almost lyrical no?

Ced I am one who hates, detests and sincerely dislikes masking, how about if I get my models for masking over to you so you can have more fun?

The trip to France you undertook sounded marvellous, I hope to get Mrs P to travel there with me, I'd forgo the 24hrs if she did.

Now, where was I?

Oh yes packing a Hurricane and Hunter for a trip to Bathshire...

The ferry was great Bill - loading in the evening so time for a beer in the bar before kip and then, lo and behold, waking up in St Malo.

Drive to Bléré to find 28º temperature and warnings of a heat wave - they cancelled their music festival even though the stage had been set up :(

Next day to Amboise - 39º with a 41º forecast so drove around in the car with the a/c and only occasional trips out.

On to La Loge to the next hotel but then back to Le Château du Clos Lucé for Parc Leonardo da Vinci to see all his great inventions. They have 'full sized' models in the grounds:

52209821317_a60cd0df5b_z.jpg

Great fun!

Visit the Chateau at Chenonceau, built impressively across the river.

Next stop Fontvraud-l'Abbaye to see the the Abbey, founded in 1101! Impressive building to say the least. And that weird kitchen!

52211318670_0afb72d604_z.jpg

Bought some wine in Samur - nice!

Final night closer to St Malo at a great hotel in Chateaubourg. An old mill with huge grounds only open to guest and full of sculptures. Recommended.

Lunch in Dinard, mooch around St Malo and then back on to the ferry for the overnight back to Portsmouth.

Nice trip, and no airports!

On 05/07/2022 at 10:01, Biggles87 said:

The Loire valley eh, you could have popped in for lunch, we’re only about 250km away. 😗

Enjoy the masking.

John. 🇺🇦

Rats, if only we'd known! Thanks John :) 

On 10/07/2022 at 22:26, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful museum pics, and looks like some great company as well - looking forward to these new additions (both to the museum and to the ceiling)

Thanks Cookie :) 

Not much more will get done for a week or so because:

52211295855_453b070702_z.jpg

…we've got the painters in and we're off to Devon with the family.

Then I must get on with the masking!

• Like 11