A Group of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs and a Hasey Friend

CedB

Yep, definitely the Cap Opener, I’ve had one for several years now and it’s more paid for itself. As for wing/tailplane jigs, what’s wrong with Lego and paint pots/tins?

Glad to see that you got the OD on the cowlings all on the insides, with two builds I’d have got at least one of them wrong?

John

🇺🇦

• Like 1

16 hours ago, perdu said:

You know what, that happened to me on a Charity Track Day at Marham, before they converted to funny tarmac and stranger shelters etcetera.

Middle of the field, a somewhat elderly looking bus.

Organising lady inside the bus.

Skinny white plastic looking things with long tapery wings and a cover over the the seating area outside.

"How much?" says I.

"Are you joining?" says she.

Only here for the track day or I think I would.

£30 and sit in the front, lid shuts and whoosh.

Heaven in five or six minute slices.

Really really took over my track day experience, mmmmmmm.

Ah, gliders! The closest I've been to flying like a bird, nice and quiet. :) 

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

For the man who lives for tools - Mr. Cap Opener!

gsi-creos-mr-hobby-mr-cap-opener__52152.1630998926

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'm not kidding - this is an actual product from GSI Creos. I find it indispensable not only for Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color bottles, but also Tamiya and any others that use this type of bottle and cap.

Thanks Bill, Cookie, Rog and John :) 

Yep, I have those and, 'cos I'm losing my grip (been said), I've also got a cap opener strappy thing to hold the bottle:

52122193102_1dc3ffaea8_w.jpg

Still needs a grunt though.

Quick review this morning.

I need to paint the bomb doors for my kit so I've chopped it in half as they'll be open for the ceiling:

52123220806_5fba71c942_z.jpg

I also need to paint the de-iceing boots on the wings so they were masked:

52123443836_d47340476c_z.jpg

Ready for lining with Klear before painting. I'm planning to do this by hand.

Then, I removed the masking on the fin to do the boot there:

52122389207_6acfcd15a4_z.jpg

:worry: :worry:   :wtf:     :weep:  :weep:  :weep: 

I'd had his before and had removed the goo with IPA and a cotton bud, but:

52123944740_5229f29fe7_z.jpg

…this time the Tamiya came off too. Same with white and surgical spirit. And of course it's the same on Jim's:

52123687284_b2d9c3d973_z.jpg

Any ideas?

Feeling a bit fed up now :( 

• Sad 20

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Any ideas?

More advice really... take a liberal measure of Steve's thinking juice and take a step or two back. Attack something else in the meantime and come back to this when the mojo isn't doing it's turtle head impression

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, giemme said:

What kind of tape is that, Ced?

Can't remember, but I think it's 'lo-tack' generic masking tape:

52122792957_daea2a35a2_n.jpg

I'm sure I've used it without problems before but, if you look back as I've just done, perhaps I shouldn't have left it on for over a year!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Should you have used Oramask, low tak type stuff?

That's horrid.:(

Yep, lesson learnt Bill. As Douglas Adams would have said “A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.’”

Oramask it is.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

More advice really... take a liberal measure of Steve's thinking juice and take a step or two back. Attack something else in the meantime and come back to this when the mojo isn't doing it's turtle head impression

Thanks hendie, wise advice.

The sticky stuff is coming off by gently rubbing with white spirit on a cotton bud:

52123853568_283ac9b1e6_z.jpg

Once the sticky has gone I'll give it a quick micro-mesh.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm sure I've used it without problems before but, if you look back as I've just done, perhaps I shouldn't have left it on for over a year!

Been there, done that - with the exact same tape. I was asking because, back then when I knew nothing, I used that kind of tape for general masking, including clear parts. I had a Tornado model sitting on the shelf for months with that tape on, and it left exactly the same kind of residue upon removal.

Ditto to Bill's @perdu advice, BTW

Ciao 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

... perhaps I shouldn't have left it on for over a year!

I'm sure that didn't help. I'm also not surprised that IPA took off some of the Tamiya paint, assuming it was Tamiya acrylic. I use IPA as a thinner for that stuff. To look on the bright side, maybe you've discovered a new technique to simulate paint weathering. You might become famous as the inventor of the Cedric Method.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Or is it Cerdic? I haven't read Ivanhoe in a while.

• Haha 9

Gah!!! Bloody hell that’s a bit of a pain up the bum. 🫣😯😞 Was there a top coat on the red before you masked? Even with it I can concur that ipa will if rubbing take the paint clean off. It did it a bit on my hind while I was doing g those blasted rivets. I know it sounds ridiculous but ( be careful )  There is a great “life hack” I got from Chris Evans on his radio show ages ago for getting stickers or price tags from gift boxes. Use a hair dryer. It melts the glue and you can gently peel them off with no issues whatever. Just thinking you could do the same and just dab at the goo with a bit of good masking tape ( Tamiya etc) or even a rubber eraser?  Might just work and no chemical Tom foolery. But please be careful of melting the plastic. 

What ever you do I’m sure it’ll end up wonderful.

Looking forward to seeing it IRL as the kids say. Btw. How are you transporting said Plastic beast?

All the best.

Johnny. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 05/06/2022 at 16:36, giemme said:

Been there, done that - with the exact same tape. I was asking because, back then when I knew nothing, I used that kind of tape for general masking, including clear parts. I had a Tornado model sitting on the shelf for months with that tape on, and it left exactly the same kind of residue upon removal.

Ditto to Bill's @perdu advice, BTW

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Nice to know it's not just me… I have plenty of Oramask (including 'offcuts') so I'll use that to fill in for future masking.

Write that down someone.

On 05/06/2022 at 16:48, Navy Bird said:

I'm sure that didn't help. I'm also not surprised that IPA took off some of the Tamiya paint, assuming it was Tamiya acrylic. I use IPA as a thinner for that stuff. To look on the bright side, maybe you've discovered a new technique to simulate paint weathering. You might become famous as the inventor of the Cedric Method.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Or is it Cerdic? I haven't read Ivanhoe in a while.

Thanks Bill :)

I find the Tamiya acrylics a bit weird to be honest, but I know some people swear by them and they do cover pretty well.

I find they drag sometimes when brushing though - thinners I hear you say…

Ah, Cedric/Cerdic; you're quite right that Sir Walter apparently mis-spelt Cerdic, the Anglo-saxon king, in 'Ivanhoe' and the name was born. Dammit.

My Dad's favourite book. Lucky for me I suppose, it could have been 50,000 leagues and I'd have been Nemo…

As you know I was only ever called Cedric when I was in trouble and I'm just about over the panic feeling when someone uses my full name instead of 'Ced'. "Only my Mother called me Cedric, and only when I was in trouble" I say.

On 05/06/2022 at 17:52, The Spadgent said:

Gah!!! Bloody hell that’s a bit of a pain up the bum. 🫣😯😞 Was there a top coat on the red before you masked? Even with it I can concur that ipa will if rubbing take the paint clean off. It did it a bit on my hind while I was doing g those blasted rivets. I know it sounds ridiculous but ( be careful )  There is a great “life hack” I got from Chris Evans on his radio show ages ago for getting stickers or price tags from gift boxes. Use a hair dryer. It melts the glue and you can gently peel them off with no issues whatever. Just thinking you could do the same and just dab at the goo with a bit of good masking tape ( Tamiya etc) or even a rubber eraser?  Might just work and no chemical Tom foolery. But please be careful of melting the plastic. 

What ever you do I’m sure it’ll end up wonderful.

Looking forward to seeing it IRL as the kids say. Btw. How are you transporting said Plastic beast?

All the best.

Johnny. 

Ah Johnny… 'top coat'? That's that thing patient people do isn't it? Protective coats and all that. Requires more patience, something I'm short of :)

Thanks for the hair dryer tip - I've used that before on (real) car stickers so I'll try to remember.

Looking forward to seeing you too, although I fear the B-17 won't be ready.

I could blame this masking issue but, to be honest, I slowed down in June '21 (I blame Tilly the dog's op) and only restarted on May 4th (oooh, Start Wars day, "May the fourth be with you" :D) I think I need to stop trying to rush things - Jim has made it clear that the project is ongoing so there's no rush.

So, Micro-mesh out and over the remaining glue:

52126989066_b0847e093f_z.jpg

I love this stuff; removes the bumps without scouring the surface. Magic.

First coat of red on:

52128758523_5ed85d7db6_z.jpg

And relax…

• Like 18

Definitely the right plan to not rush, Ced. They'll be a lovely pair when they're finally revealed (ooh er!).

As for names, my due date was Feb 14th and my parents had threatened to call me Valentino. Thankfully I arrived a few days early!

James

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

52126989066_b0847e093f_z.jpg

That stabiliser is some of the most realistic weathering I've seen in regard to faded/peeling paint. What make of masking tape was it again? And how long did you keep it on for? I'll need to give this technique a try...  :winkgrin:

You'll get there, Ced - for me there's nothing worse than working to a deadline when it comes to modelling. Adds pressure that I simply don't need. I am pleased to be able to donate models to the museum I built some years ago without the added hassle. I feel your pain.

I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! Safe travels.

Tom

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Jim has made it clear that the project is ongoing so there's no rush.

Yeah, but you can still make it.... :D :D

Ciao 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That stabiliser is some of the most realistic weathering I've seen in regard to faded/peeling paint. What make of masking tape was it again? And how long did you keep it on for? I'll need to give this technique a try...  :winkgrin:

See what I mean @CedB? You invented a new weathering method - you are now a certified member of the "Modelling Technique of the Month" club! Me, I'm just plain certified. I'm jealous.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, CedB said:

"Only my Mother called me Cedric, and only when I was in trouble" I say.

Me too? If Mrs MF calls me “Adrian” and not “Ade” then I start wondering which think in particular has annoyed her this time…

Nice recovery on the tail. I’ve never tried Tamiya paint. It scares me.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I think I need to stop trying to rush things

I'd agree with that sentiment Ced. I absolutely hate building to deadlines! Jim also made it very clear to me that the project is ongoing with no specific deadlines, that's what appealed so much! I rushed an Avon Sabre a few years back to be ready for Telford. I've never been happy with it, so much so, it got taken off display a few weeks ago and has been partly dismantled and rubbed down for a complete repaint in a different scheme.

I actually find Tamiya Acrylics nice paint to work with although I do usually airbrush it, so have never tried brush painting on larger surfaces.

I do like the red on the tail surfaces!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 81-er said:

Definitely the right plan to not rush, Ced. They'll be a lovely pair when they're finally revealed (ooh er!).

As for names, my due date was Feb 14th and my parents had threatened to call me Valentino. Thankfully I arrived a few days early!

James

Thanks James, and lucky for the early birth :D

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

You'll get there, Ced - for me there's nothing worse than working to a deadline when it comes to modelling. Adds pressure that I simply don't need. I am pleased to be able to donate models to the museum I built some years ago without the added hassle. I feel your pain.

I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! Safe travels.

Tom

Thanks Tom, very kind :)

I bought the tape from Amazon, sold by 'DUSSAL' but they don't seem to stock it anymore. I wonder why?

I left it on for over a year, so probably not a practical option.

Looking forward to seeing you too!

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Yeah, but you can still make it.... :D :D

Ciao 

Oh har har. I do need to sleep you know, and paint takes times to dry :D

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

See what I mean @CedB? You invented a new weathering method - you are now a certified member of the "Modelling Technique of the Month" club! Me, I'm just plain certified. I'm jealous.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill :D

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Me too? If Mrs MF calls me “Adrian” and not “Ade” then I start wondering which think in particular has annoyed her this time…

Nice recovery on the tail. I’ve never tried Tamiya paint. It scares me.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Ade - I shall get it right from now  on :)

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'd agree with that sentiment Ced. I absolutely hate building to deadlines! Jim also made it very clear to me that the project is ongoing with no specific deadlines, that's what appealed so much! I rushed an Avon Sabre a few years back to be ready for Telford. I've never been happy with it, so much so, it got taken off display a few weeks ago and has been partly dismantled and rubbed down for a complete repaint in a different scheme.

I actually find Tamiya Acrylics nice paint to work with although I do usually airbrush it, so have never tried brush painting on larger surfaces.

I do like the red on the tail surfaces!

Terry

Cheers Terry. I may review the red and see if 'weathered' works for me! :) 

• Like 3

Don’t rush. We’re not judging you. 
well Giorgio is but he can buy you a pint in a few days to make up for that. 😉

A protective coat isn’t too much of a big deal mind. That’s why I use rattle can Tamiya. Yes it’s a bit pricey but when at hand it’s a cinch to lay down a coat and it dries pretty quick. I do love that red tail fin though. ❤️

Johnny

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I can’t judge you on not being finished on time! You have me very worried about the masking tape on my B17 now, and my Beaufort that’s been on for ages!

hope you all had a great day, saw some pics of Facebook and the models look amazing. Sorry again all I couldn’t make it… will have to organise my own pilgrimage.

Rob

• Like 4

On 08/06/2022 at 22:43, The Spadgent said:

Don’t rush. We’re not judging you. 
well Giorgio is but he can buy you a pint in a few days to make up for that. 😉

A protective coat isn’t too much of a big deal mind. That’s why I use rattle can Tamiya. Yes it’s a bit pricey but when at hand it’s a cinch to lay down a coat and it dries pretty quick. I do love that red tail fin though. ❤️

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - a few pints were bought! :D 

Protective coats eh? Hmmm.

57 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I can’t judge you on not being finished on time! You have me very worried about the masking tape on my B17 now, and my Beaufort that’s been on for ages!

hope you all had a great day, saw some pics of Facebook and the models look amazing. Sorry again all I couldn’t make it… will have to organise my own pilgrimage.

Rob

Thanks Rob :) 

If you're using decent tape it'll probably be fine :fingerscrossed:

We will be having another visit I'm sure so don't worry!

Here's a shot of the team at the museum:

52140479556_4e0033dd44_c.jpg

Left to right: Jim the curator/owner, Spadgent, Fritag, The General, Tomprobert over my hat (!), Woody and giemme.

A great time was had by all.

It's not over. I picked up this:

52140963230_7c7c5f03e5_z.jpg

…and this:

52140496393_a846a9973b_z.jpg

Better get on with that masking…

• Like 20

Masking. Again.

De-icing boots on the fuselage (the wings were done some time ago) then on with the rubber black:

52142940371_2c4c1328b6_z.jpg

52143175664_e2f03a028e_z.jpg

Brushed on. Well, more 'dobbed' really because I was worried that the XF-85 would 'activate' the Mr Hobby X414 red underneath.

I think I got away with it :fingerscrossed:

Once that's dry I need to remove all the masking then mask the currently painted areas ready for the AK True Metal paste.

Great.

• Like 15

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

I think I got away with it :fingerscrossed:

:fingerscrossed: here too! I guess last WE did boost your mojo a bit, didn't it? :winkgrin:  

Ciao

• Like 4

Great pick of the team!

Not sure about "de-icing boots" on the fuselage though. They are only fitted on wing and tail leading edges so what you painted must be something else!

Ian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, giemme said:

:fingerscrossed: here too! I guess last WE did boost your mojo a bit, didn't it? :winkgrin:  

Ciao

it did Giorgio, it did :)

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great picture of you all at the museum.

Looking forward to seeing the AK paste in action Ced!

Terry

Thanks Terry :)

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Great pick of the team!

Not sure about "de-icing boots" on the fuselage though. They are only fitted on wing and tail leading edges so what you painted must be something else!

Ian

Thanks Ian :)

Sorry, for 'fuselage' read 'fin'. I found a great cutaway diagram here.

I'm out tomorrow so no, or little, progress will be made. Watch this space!

• Like 4