Jump to content

A Couple of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs


Recommended Posts

Glad you have the PE sorted, Ced! :clap:

 

As for the overspray on red, I know what happened: we all have that urge to spray some color on our models, and sometimes that prevails over careful planning... :shrug: :D

 

Ciao 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Nice re-rolling there.

No you're only human. Stuff happens.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Ali, very kind :)

 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Glad you have the PE sorted, Ced! :clap:

 

As for the overspray on red, I know what happened: we all have that urge to spray some color on our models, and sometimes that prevails over careful planning... :shrug: :D

 

Ciao 

Exactly Giorgio :)

In my head was 'spray the grey and then mask for the Olive' - I'd forgotten about the red!

 

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Saying nothing...

No Bill, but I can hear what you're thinking from here! :D

 

2 hours ago, Tcoat said:

0036034928048ce78b32b42395b7e229.gif

 

Big Bang Theory! One of my favourites. I recorded the complete series re-run on the Sky box and I'm gradually working my way through when I need a giggle.

 

 

Like soon, probably.

I remember I had trouble with the nacelle internals when I built Belle and I'd taken a warning from Andy Moore's build of the kit.

This made me nervous.

Not surprising given the instructions:

 

51181576110_598a740bb1_z.jpg

 

I'm going to 'practice' on my kit as the bays will be closed up.

Then I can get Jim's right.

Not a good start. Look at these:

 

51179777487_d254554697_z.jpg

 

Jim's kit on the left, mine on the right. I would call it flash if it wasn't so thick.

Similarly:

 

51181257059_8e92f7492f_z.jpg

 

Good grief.

Eventually I lost patience and left it all here:

 

51181276974_83e2f9b6da_z.jpg

 

Probably best.

Now for some BBT.

There will be wine tonight!

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you deserved a bit of relax and a good laugh with BBT, Ced - incidentally, it's my favorite TV series too, I just re-watched series 1 to 11, waiting for 12 to appear on Prime Video :)

 

Ciao 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CedB said:

51181576110_598a740bb1_z.jpg

 

I keep looking at that. Then looking away. Then looking again. Then looking away. 🤪 enjoy the wine! 😇 looking good Mr B. The red looks the business. 
 

Johnny. 🤩

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those instructions wouldn't look out of place in a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

 

I hope you find Patience soon Ced, she'll be getting lonely out there

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to flesh out the drill bit as rolling tool. The drill bit shanks run up to 1/2” typically for home use. After that, improvise. I live on a farm with a shop, so I have hundreds of bits, a couple of which are actually sharp.... You can typically find cheap sets at your favourite hardware store. As you found, with the larger size, if it’s a tube, you can use it. Where the drill bit’s really shine is rolling things like Wingnut Wings machine gun tubes. You can play with the diameter and roll them to the point where it is a perfect tube with the mating parts just touching. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Off the Amazon looking for large drill bits… then I realised that not only are they expensive but most have the same shaft size (the non-drilly bit) so they fit in drill chucks.

s-l225.webp

s-l225.webp

 

Ced Surely Robin is referring to sets like these* all different rolling diameters, I have hundreds of blunted ones of such sizes should I burden Bath's postal servants by boxing a few and popping them along?

 

I am not suggesting you buy a big steel box of engineering drills such as above but I do have several boxes of the tiny toolzone ones too.

 

Nudge and some of  them will be yours.

 

I have spent several enjoyable minutes studying the drawing for assembly, designed to allow your brain to warm up then cool down as the steam supercools

 

I am truly glad I was able to resist all blandishments to join in your crusade, truly...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Revell Instructions should be fun but why oh why do you need a Degree in Quantum Physics to understand them.

Good to see you can walk away when necessary.

 

Cheers

 

Alistair

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The fuselages look splendid Ced, overspray schmoverspray I always say (I'm sure you'll get it tidied up nicely).

Thanks Cookie - it will be tidied! :)

 

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like you deserved a bit of relax and a good laugh with BBT, Ced - incidentally, it's my favorite TV series too, I just re-watched series 1 to 11, waiting for 12 to appear on Prime Video :)

 

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Wine and films were had last night so well relaxed.

 

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I keep looking at that. Then looking away. Then looking again. Then looking away. 🤪 enjoy the wine! 😇 looking good Mr B. The red looks the business. 
 

Johnny. 🤩

Thanks Jont :)

The instructions were a task but done now - see below.

 

15 hours ago, hendie said:

Those instructions would look out of place in a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

 

I hope you find Patience soon Ced, she'll be getting lonely out there

Thanks hendie. Patience has been lost and found and lost again, but to after some progress :)

 

14 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Just to flesh out the drill bit as rolling tool. The drill bit shanks run up to 1/2” typically for home use. After that, improvise. I live on a farm with a shop, so I have hundreds of bits, a couple of which are actually sharp.... You can typically find cheap sets at your favourite hardware store. As you found, with the larger size, if it’s a tube, you can use it. Where the drill bit’s really shine is rolling things like Wingnut Wings machine gun tubes. You can play with the diameter and roll them to the point where it is a perfect tube with the mating parts just touching. 

Ah thanks Robin, that's clear now :)

 

6 hours ago, perdu said:

s-l225.webp

s-l225.webp

 

Ced Surely Robin is referring to sets like these* all different rolling diameters, I have hundreds of blunted ones of such sizes should I burden Bath's postal servants by boxing a few and popping them along?

 

I am not suggesting you buy a big steel box of engineering drills such as above but I do have several boxes of the tiny toolzone ones too.

 

Nudge and some of  them will be yours.

 

I have spent several enjoyable minutes studying the drawing for assembly, designed to allow your brain to warm up then cool down as the steam supercools

 

I am truly glad I was able to resist all blandishments to join in your crusade, truly...

Awww thanks Bill, kind as always :)

I have enough drills though I think so no need to burden the postie.

 

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Revell Instructions should be fun but why oh why do you need a Degree in Quantum Physics to understand them.

Good to see you can walk away when necessary.

 

Cheers

 

Alistair

Thanks Ali - always best to take a rest :) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 3:37 PM, giemme said:

we all have that urge to spray some color on our models

Says the prime culprit for the phrase "almost time for paint"!

 

Ian

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before we start on the wheel wells I painted my balls again:

 

51181957359_e7e1dc4b34_z.jpg

 

I'd done them aluminium by mistake so now corrected.

 

Right, let's take on the instructions.

Andy's thread showed how part #103 fits in the side of the nacelle - so, without glue, I used that as a reference point:

 

51182185733_80fb271bac_z.jpg

 

 

That gave me the correct location for the rear bulkhead and the front too:

 

51182756789_b7988b9635_z.jpg

 

The tank fits into a single locating slot at the front and its bottom lines up with the top of that nacelle half:

 

51181971136_8693960caa_n.jpg 51182187568_947d963207_n.jpg

 

With the confidence that gave me I did Jim's:

 

51182876618_05a403d603_z.jpg

 

Note the correctly painted tank. 

Everything's had a wash with Nulm Oil:

 

51182907218_ef1e24008a_z.jpg

 

The next job was to put these in the ends of the intake/vents:

 

51181973657_db5fbd8695_z.jpg

 

Strangely the parts on the two kits are moulded differently, one sticking up and the other flatter:

 

51182651431_4c40e63de9_z.jpg

 

I think the sticking up ones are better moulded so I'll use those for Jim's.

Just now, Brandy said:

Says the prime culprit for the phrase "almost time for paint"!

 

Ian

:D 

(Sorry Ian, crashed your post)

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All coming together in the nacelles now, Ced - great job! :clap: 

 

15 hours ago, Brandy said:

Says the prime culprit for the phrase "almost time for paint"!

 

Ian

Guilty as charged :winkgrin: :D 

 

Ciao

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Giorgio :)

"Time for paint" - again.

 

 

Overspray sorted:

 

51184547301_d82767b9c7_z.jpg

 

Looks like I've missed a bit on the LE of the bottom one but it's a reflection - I've checked!

 

The intake parts are in:

 

51184547811_87e3292a85_z.jpg

 

Impossible to clamp (I tried) I used TET Quick and held each section in place until it dried - not long with that stuff.

 

Now I can glue the wings together!

Not.

 

The PE roof fouls on the tank and the rear bulkhead:

 

51185330709_e53feaba49_z.jpg

 

51184771533_2aa8769409_z.jpg

 

Hmmm. "Rats" hardly seems sufficient so just allow me to leave the room for a quick cuss…

That's better.

Hard to cut in-situ so it was ripped off, trimmed and dry-fitted to the lower bit:

 

51184559961_16aefbede7_z.jpg

 

… then glued with GG and clamped.

Again.

 

While waiting for the red and PE to dry I thought I'd check my ball turrets:

 

51185360689_f169ed0089_z.jpg

 

Oh look, the BluTak has reacted with the paint which has peeled off when I tried to remove it. :weep:

I'd better paint those then.

Again.

 

I think I'll have a look at the 1/144 Spits while it settles down.

  • Like 16
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh look, the BluTak has reacted with the paint which has peeled off when I tried to remove it. :weep:

I'd better paint those then.

Again.

Quick Aqua Gloss coat (airbrushed) on them (and let it cure overnight) before you put more BluTak on. :) 

 

Ciao

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, perdu said:

Saying nothing...

 

Me neivver, specially as it all happened so long ago in Ced thread terms that it's ancient history.....

 

Some great saves going on here Ced.  Kasper Schmeichel eat yer heart out....

 

On 5/16/2021 at 12:22 AM, hendie said:

Those instructions would look out of place in a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

 

'cept there's quite a body of work on Bosch-interpretation.    Ced's gotta sort it out hisself.....

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will admit I would have dropped a few phrases in the vicinity of "Oh that's unfortunate"  :rant: if I'd put all that work in to find it didn't fit.

Your restraint is remarkable.

Shame about your spherical objects but you will get them sorted I'm sure.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

seems like you've hit a few bumps, could be worse! One of my friends were varnishing their MiG-15 and the varnish reacted with the paint and all the paint peeled off! (Idk if varnish is the correct term, gloss maybe, the clear coat after paint before decals.)

 

Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Edited by KingTiger435
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Quick Aqua Gloss coat (airbrushed) on them (and let it cure overnight) before you put more BluTak on. :) 

 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - you and your gloss coats! :)

 

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

 

Me neivver, specially as it all happened so long ago in Ced thread terms that it's ancient history.....

 

Some great saves going on here Ced.  Kasper Schmeichel eat yer heart out....

 

 

'cept there's quite a body of work on Bosch-interpretation.    Ced's gotta sort it out hisself.....

Thanks Steve - it's certainly taxing my patience (what little I have!) :)

 

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I will admit I would have dropped a few phrases in the vicinity of "Oh that's unfortunate"  :rant: if I'd put all that work in to find it didn't fit.

Your restraint is remarkable.

Shame about your spherical objects but you will get them sorted I'm sure.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Very restrained of you Ali :D

 

51 minutes ago, KingTiger435 said:

seems like you've hit a few bumps, could be worse! One of my friends were varnishing their MiG-15 and the varnish reacted with the paint and all the paint peeled off! (Idk if varnish is the correct term, gloss maybe, the clear coat after paint before decals.)

 

Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Yikes! Varnish taking paint off is probably the worse; after all that work :) 

 

 

 

The wings still won't close.

Time for some serious surgery:

 

51186176070_89fd28c4fa_z.jpg

 

With those trimmed the wings were fitted.

Starting at the inner nacelle, everything needs wiggling until it fits properly. Glue and tape and on to the next bit.

Finally:

 

51185392238_650fc73741_z.jpg

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

These have certainly been fighting you all the way, but looks like your showing them who's boss!

Coming together nicely now

 

    Stay safe            Roger

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...