A Group of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs and a Hasey Friend

CedB

Looks like you have hit the ground running Ced, well done!

I must confess, as it's been a while I have just had to re familiarise myself with this thread, to be able to follow again now, and I had a pleasant digression back to the great 2019 visit of @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird and @Procopius which reminded me of my last Telford visit (I missed last year due to my gammy legs, now with a fix date I'm pleased to say), and that wonderful day at Yeovilton with you guys. Looking forward to seeing everyone again sometime soon I hope.

OK, all caught up so do carry on!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:56 AM, CedB said:

Next problem is getting used to this again:

52070733750_82cac8a46b_z.jpg

Gasp! The young king has returned!

• Haha 8

On 14/05/2022 at 12:10, Biggles87 said:

Ooh look, there’s bits of aeroplanes.

I hope you kept all the instruction manuals for your tools Ced, you might have forgotten how to use some of them by now ( or even what they’re for. )

Stay safe 

John

🇺🇦

Thanks John :D Instructions? Who reads those?

On 14/05/2022 at 13:57, HAMP man said:

I have a small attic window where I can see the Skirrid, sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Very comforting to have CedB updates again

Box on

Strickers

Thanks Strickers. Enjoy the 'Garret' :)

On 14/05/2022 at 14:29, giemme said:

Good to see some action, Ced! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) I'll try to keep it up (snurf)

On 14/05/2022 at 14:37, Terry1954 said:

Looks like you have hit the ground running Ced, well done!

I must confess, as it's been a while I have just had to re familiarise myself with this thread, to be able to follow again now, and I had a pleasant digression back to the great 2019 visit of @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird and @Procopius which reminded me of my last Telford visit (I missed last year due to my gammy legs, now with a fix date I'm pleased to say), and that wonderful day at Yeovilton with you guys. Looking forward to seeing everyone again sometime soon I hope.

OK, all caught up so do carry on!

Terry

Thanks Terry. I hope the legs get fixed soon :)

On 14/05/2022 at 14:40, Procopius said:

Gasp! The young king has returned!

Thanks PC :D

I watched that clip to the end expecting the usual PC punch line. Not there, dammit.

OK, the scheme from Pin-Up decals shows that "Earlier code letter B is cleary visible" under the overpaint. Rats.

I searched my stash for a big enough B and found one, sort of.

Out with the decal fix as a little bath. 

Lid stuck.

Grunt, grunt:

52077952270_cd9302f8c9.jpg

Don't know my own strength. I didn't think I had any left.

With that applied I need to let it dry but the rest of the 'outer masks' are on:

52076434957_fce5ed80e6.jpg

52077734574_9ed852a6a8.jpg

Now to find a green that shows up.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Now to find a green that shows up.

How does sir want it to show sir?

Brighter?

Or seriously duller? Not able to remember that far back in history is a drawback.

if you want a brighter flat green you could do worse than Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green.

16527181685047534386833607526772.jpg

Nice colour, anyway good to see Ced back at the bench and some of the magic of BM reappearing...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 15:03, giemme said:

Interesting masking, Ced :clap: Slowly but steadily getting all things going, right? :winkgrin: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Getting going, slowly as you say.

On 16/05/2022 at 17:28, perdu said:

How does sir want it to show sir?

Brighter?

Or seriously duller? Not able to remember that far back in history is a drawback.

if you want a brighter flat green you could do worse than Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green.

16527181685047534386833607526772.jpg

Nice colour, anyway good to see Ced back at the bench and some of the magic of BM reappearing...

Thanks Bill :) 

It looks like this now:

52080281504_80605687fa_w.jpg 52080532110_7de7780759_w.jpg

…just on my kit. Happyish with the 'obvious' B but the overworks should be darker than the background.

I've checked the scheme (which of course requires much shuffling of paper - why can't they name the paint on the scheme instead of the 'T' and 'U' that makes you find the index sheet?) and that translates to Nato Olive and Bronze Green. I used the Bronze Green but the main body is VMA Yellow Olive. Too dark?

I think I need to respray :(

BM says you can spray Revell thinned with water. We shall see.

• Like 12

Thanks Bill :) I think it's the background that's too dark rather than the overpaint.

Repainted with Revell's suggested colour:

52082242943_ffa3a39366_z.jpg

Gave me a chance to get used to the airbrush again. I hope I've got a lighter and patchy finish.

We shall see.

• Like 18

Thanks Hendie, getting there :)

Much better:

52083070630_8e1706c9ac_z.jpg

What's that you say? Be careful when you pull the mask off the B that the decal doesn't come off too?

Too late:

52083071955_1a9b0e4a6f_z.jpg

I'm going to say, with a little touching up (snurf), that I like that effect.

So there :) 

• Like 11
  • Sad 9

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

What's that you say? Be careful when you pull the mask off the B that the decal doesn't come off too?

Too late:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ced! I would have thought for certain that the vinyl mask was too low-tack to have the umph to do it, but I would have thought wrong, clearly. 

• Like 4

EEEeek!

Virtual hug Ced and a shot of rum in the coffee.

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ced! I would have thought for certain that the vinyl mask was too low-tack to have the umph to do it, but I would have thought wrong, clearly. 

Experience with the recent batch of Alclad grey leads me to believe that merely waving Oramask at an aircraft can cause it to spontaneously shed primer like a molting snake...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

After a bit of a monster catch up , it seems the your Lordship is back on the game again.

Which is great to see, the humour coming back as well as some of the fun and games we have with this hobby.

As for Revell`s colour call outs, I write a list out of them first then convert to what ever paints I am going to use, saves toing and throwing.

Stay safe .

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/05/2022 at 23:11, CedB said:

Wow, what a reception I

Thoroughly deserved old chap, it was lovely to read about your adventures, and I confess scout shooting sounds terrific!

On 05/05/2022 at 23:11, CedB said:

Mark 'BBT' is Big Bang Theory. Science and that.

Gosh, CedB is a fan of BBT, and Mark is a fan of Big Big Train. I'm sure Ced it's the witty dialogue, the science and the pin sharp acting rather than Penny that attracts you to the programme.

(Speaking of Penny, Kaley Cuoco returns in Series 2 of the Flight Attendant next week)

Mark, as a fellow BBT fan, no need to ask why you're a fan, I started with Underfall Yard and haven't looked back since.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, CedB said:

I've checked the scheme (which of course requires much shuffling of paper - why can't they name the paint on the scheme instead of the 'T' and 'U' that makes you find the index sheet?) and that translates to Nato Olive and Bronze Green. I used the Bronze Green but the main body is VMA Yellow Olive. Too dark?

Hi Ced,

A couple options to paper shuffling.

1. go through the instructions and write in the correct colors everywhere the letters are or...

2. Make a separate copy of the color page and have that to the side so you can easily see them.

Looking good so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, philp said:

Hi Ced,

1. go through the instructions and write in the correct colors everywhere the letters are or...

2. Make a separate copy of the color page and have that to the side so you can easily see them.

Or... my method. When you get to the painting stage, put it all back into the box, stick aforementioned box on a shelf and start another kit! 

No paint problems, everrrrr! 🤪

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

Me too PC, me too… :) 

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

EEEeek!

Virtual hug Ced and a shot of rum in the coffee.

Experience with the recent batch of Alclad grey leads me to believe that merely waving Oramask at an aircraft can cause it to spontaneously shed primer like a molting snake...

Thanks Tony :) I'll be more careful in the future, for sure.

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

After a bit of a monster catch up , it seems the your Lordship is back on the game again.

Which is great to see, the humour coming back as well as some of the fun and games we have with this hobby.

As for Revell`s colour call outs, I write a list out of them first then convert to what ever paints I am going to use, saves toing and throwing.

Stay safe .

Simon.

Thanks Simon, very kind and a good tip :)

13 hours ago, Whofan said:

Thoroughly deserved old chap, it was lovely to read about your adventures, and I confess scout shooting sounds terrific!

Gosh, CedB is a fan of BBT, and Mark is a fan of Big Big Train. I'm sure Ced it's the witty dialogue, the science and the pin sharp acting rather than Penny that attracts you to the programme.

(Speaking of Penny, Kaley Cuoco returns in Series 2 of the Flight Attendant next week)

Mark, as a fellow BBT fan, no need to ask why you're a fan, I started with Underfall Yard and haven't looked back since.

Thanks John :)

BBT? Of course it's the witty dialogue and 'nerd appeal'. ALL episodes are streaming on All4 now (if you can take the ads or £3.99 per month). I may have it running on my other screen. Apologies for the bursts of laughter…

Penny? Ah, well, looking at episode 1 again I think I can say we've grown older together! I did watch a few Flight Attendant episodes but it's not the same IMHO. Still gorgeous but the script?

6 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Or... my method. When you get to the painting stage, put it all back into the box, stick aforementioned box on a shelf and start another kit! 

No paint problems, everrrrr! 🤪

One option Rob, but, er… :D 

5 hours ago, philp said:

Hi Ced,

Looking good so far.

Thanks Phil :)

Option 2 is my go to:

52084033843_30868c3d9c_w.jpg

…but when you don't have the matching Revell paint it's a bit harder.

I need to sort out this lot:

52082920212_f3807ebfc6_w.jpg

The red and grey are easy; the rest are options for Olive Drab (OD) and, well, we all know the problems with that. Time for iModelKit and it looks like it's now available on Android too:

52084030378_f048cbb540_w.jpg

See? Even the FS guys can't decide. So what does the scheme say? 'U' for the body, 'F' for the wing panel and anti-glare. 'F' is 46 Nato Olive so that's done. 'U' is a 3:1 mix of 46 and Yellow 15 (which I don't have). Can I mix it from stock?

52084573130_b681e53a86_w.jpg 52084101323_0f876011a4_w.jpg

Ha. I think I'll go for the 'by eye' option:

52084121138_9ec48fd90a_z.jpg

I need to mask up, a lot, then I think I'll try spraying some bits.

Spraying Humbrol?

I know…

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Penny? Ah, well, looking at episode 1 again I think I can say we've grown older together! I did watch a few Flight Attendant episodes but it's not the same IMHO. Still gorgeous but the script?

Script? CedB I am beginning to worry about you.

Oh, my favourite episode is episode 11, series 9.

how I worried that Penny might have cut her hand when she broke the glass.........

• Like 2

Worth getting Bill and, for me, paying for the upgrade so you can scan/input your stock for easy mixing. Fill yer boots! :) 

OK John, I'll watch it and get back to you :)

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Too late:

52083071955_1a9b0e4a6f_z.jpg

I'm going to say, with a little touching up (snurf), that I like that effect.

So there :) 

Ced. it should be easy enough to cut a mask with your Silhouette and spray the B on, shouldn't it?

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ced. it should be easy enough to cut a mask with your Silhouette and spray the B on, shouldn't it?

Ciao

Indeed:

52083724807_86c3d729b8.jpg

Good idea, thanks Giorgio :) 

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

I couldn't find it in the Playstore but did see it elsewhere for about a tenner.

Seriously considering it, ta.

I certainly think it's worth it Bill but I'd make sure it was a proper site to avoid toe rag scammers.

• Like 4

Thanks again Giorgio :) 

Happy with the Hu155:

52086707306_3112b236c5_z.jpg

I'll spray the museum one.

Masking, Ugh.

I had a plan to make a template using tape and Silhouette design from that (times two) but, when I started the nacelles, decided I could tape them up with the help of the circle cutter:

52086750516_47a7568dc8_z.jpg

One down, seven to go.

I think I'll still use the template idea on the fuselage anti-glare though. Probably.

Broadband has been down most of the day. Shovel through a cable methinks :(

• Like 16