A Group of Gals - Two Revell B-17Gs and a Hasey Friend

CedB

Top persistence Ced, pinged parts always seem to attempt never to be found again. I once found a model part inside my printer which is tucked well under my work desk. 

Good use of the masking mojo, time we'll spent!

• Thanks 1

Nice to see it closed now Ced and a nice masking start. Also good to see the clear part reappeared. Mostly I don't have that luck and I'm a master of mislaying blue flashlights of my diecasts. Wherever they may go, when they ping away.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I can't tell you how many times parts have gone Zing!, with me crawling around on the floor for hours before finally admitting defeat, only to find the silly part sitting right there on the workbench. Drives me nuts...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Wait a minute, I already am nuts!

• Haha 10

47 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I can't tell you how many times parts have gone Zing!, with me crawling around on the floor for hours before finally admitting defeat, only to find the silly part sitting right there on the workbench. Drives me nuts...

Cheers,

Bill

But if you know you are nuts, you can’t be nuts. 

Edited by Robin-42
  • Haha 4

On 29/04/2021 at 15:41, Biggles87 said:

That gives me some hope for the F-4C centreline tank a kind BMer sent me from Germany about 2 weeks ago and hasn't turned up yet.

Have you checked you socks/shoes for the missing part. I lost a clear part some time ago and found it when I took off my boots that evening and it fell on to the floor!

John

EDIT: oops, didn't read the last bit.

Fingers crossed for the tank arrival John :fingerscrossed:

Finding parts in your boots - that's lucky!

On 29/04/2021 at 15:45, RichieW said:

Top persistence Ced, pinged parts always seem to attempt never to be found again. I once found a model part inside my printer which is tucked well under my work desk. 

Good use of the masking mojo, time we'll spent!

Thanks Richie :) 

I admire your persistence checking inside devices for lost parts - kudos! :worthy:

On 29/04/2021 at 16:31, giemme said:

Nice progress, Ced - with some skillful masking! :clap: And great recovery from the carpet table transparency monster! :rofl: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - more done this morning! :)

On 29/04/2021 at 19:13, bbudde said:

Nice to see it closed now Ced and a nice masking start. Also good to see the clear part reappeared. Mostly I don't have that luck and I'm a master of mislaying blue flashlights of my diecasts. Wherever they may go, when they ping away.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

Blue lights? They'll be off to the station then…

On 29/04/2021 at 19:31, Spookytooth said:

Coming along very nicely, balls painted or not.

As for the disappearing clear part, well at least you found it, more can be said when similar happened to me.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - Ah, now, I'm not even keen on face paints :D

On 30/04/2021 at 00:19, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

now check the bench first Bill - learned that one! :D

That reminded me of the joke about the guy who goes into the psychiatrist's office in a cling film (saran) wrap.

Trouble is the grammar police won't let me correctly type the "I can clearly see your / you're nuts" punchline without spoiling the scan…

On 30/04/2021 at 01:07, Robin-42 said:

But if you know you are nuts, you can’t be nuts. 

Ah, Catch 22 eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This morning I completed the seam sanding so looked at the PE Jim had supplied.

Grunt.

These bits:

51149954096_81af05392a_z.jpg

…go here:

51149959421_7f16d7d692_z.jpg

With this:

51151068420_9b2ac8cb65_z.jpg

…and these:

51150755064_ae550571f9_z.jpg

How DO you roll these bits to match the kit profile?

Tips appreciated.

On to the nose glazing.

I've already painted the internals so masks on and edges Aqua Glossed:

51149312842_3078ceacf3_z.jpg

I'm going to paint those before fitting so I can get up close.

Better check the fit first I guess.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I have a selection of different diameter cocktail sticks and old brush handles which I use for rolling PE, cheap tools but useful.

John

Same here, when conforming the PE to the kit part isn't a viable solution (like in the case of those tiny winy little .... pieces you have there :frantic: )

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s some cunning hiding! The best I had was a inner flap from a B-25 that thought it had hid from me forever, until the basement flooded which made it float to the surface.... unfortunately I now build in the loft so folding there is not an issue, in fact if it is flooded then something is horribly wrong with the word.

the PE is setting it off a treat, a really nice addition! And well done on taming that seem.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ced, really coming along nicely.  I think that the fit problem closing up the fuselage is a B-17 thing, regardless of whose kit, probably because of all the "stuff" stuck in between.  I certainly had the problem on my XB-40 prototype build, and that was an Academy fuselage with Hasegawa wings...

Speaking of wings, I did not see on the pictures of the kit parts, where Revell had included the long-range fuel tank vexts:

spacer.png

Ignore lower arrow, this is the Hasegawa wing.  The point is, weren't these late-model vents standard on all late "F" models and all "G" models?  (That's a question, not a statement of fact!).

Ed

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, CedB said:

Blue lights? They'll be off to the station then…

Hopefully Ced, The main fire station is only 800 m away from my home. Maybe I should search there....

Btw I like the old ones of the 70-80 most in their simple classic fire red paint as well as the old german police cars in the fir/mint (later) green-white or just white colour.

https://abload.de/img/img_225067eu.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img_2238h78t.jpg

Nice work with the fiddly ecthed thingies, but I know you will have the right tools for that. Masking looks also great.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2021 at 12:18, Biggles87 said:

I have a selection of different diameter cocktail sticks and old brush handles which I use for rolling PE, cheap tools but useful.

John

On 01/05/2021 at 15:27, giemme said:

Same here, when conforming the PE to the kit part isn't a viable solution (like in the case of those tiny winy little .... pieces you have there :frantic: )

Ciao 

On 01/05/2021 at 16:26, hendie said:

Same here, sort of. I use anything I can find - generally lives of brass rod and roll the part on top of some thin foam which allows the part to bend nicely 

On 01/05/2021 at 17:50, dnl42 said:

Work is progressing very nicely! :thumbsup:

Small Shop has a PE rolling set. It's very useful and has allowed me to readily form tubes from PE and metal sheet.

Thanks chaps :)

The Small Shop set is tempting and oooh, DSPIAE do a nice one but I think I'll try 'things on the bench' first as suggested. 

I'm not planning much PE in the future…

On 01/05/2021 at 17:19, rob85 said:

That’s some cunning hiding! The best I had was a inner flap from a B-25 that thought it had hid from me forever, until the basement flooded which made it float to the surface.... unfortunately I now build in the loft so folding there is not an issue, in fact if it is flooded then something is horribly wrong with the word.

the PE is setting it off a treat, a really nice addition! And well done on taming that seem.

Rob

Crikey Rob, that has to win the prize! :D 

On 01/05/2021 at 18:49, TheRealMrEd said:

Ced, really coming along nicely.  I think that the fit problem closing up the fuselage is a B-17 thing, regardless of whose kit, probably because of all the "stuff" stuck in between.  I certainly had the problem on my XB-40 prototype build, and that was an Academy fuselage with Hasegawa wings...

Speaking of wings, I did not see on the pictures of the kit parts, where Revell had included the long-range fuel tank vexts:

spacer.png

Ignore lower arrow, this is the Hasegawa wing.  The point is, weren't these late-model vents standard on all late "F" models and all "G" models?  (That's a question, not a statement of fact!).

Ed

Thanks Ed :) 

Revell do have vents, but only one:

51154111992_89ce5c1b47_z.jpg

I'll leave it to the experts to comment!

On 01/05/2021 at 20:41, AliGauld said:

Fiddly little bits. Eh.

Nicely dealt with.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Ali :) 

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hopefully Ced, The main fire station is only 800 m away from my home. Maybe I should search there....

Btw I like the old ones of the 70-80 most in their simple classic fire red paint as well as the old german police cars in the fir/mint (later) green-white or just white colour.

https://abload.de/img/img_225067eu.jpg

https://abload.de/img/img_2238h78t.jpg

Nice work with the fiddly ecthed thingies, but I know you will have the right tools for that. Masking looks also great.

Cheers

Cheers Ben :D 

Jim's fuselage is almost ready for primer:

51154777541_56ae321afd_z.jpg

The Lego's not really needed for the tailplanes - it's a good solid fit - but better safe than sorry…

Time to get mine up to the same place.

• Like 17

Good morning CedB

Your work is progressing well, faster than mine! 👍

About wing tip vents, I am certainly not an expert, however I have noted some informations for my own builds.

These hatches allowed the gasoline vapors contained in the wing tanks to escape into the atmosphere, and thus avoid explosions in flight.

These vents were tested on B17Gs of the Fifteenth Air Force, then they were available in kits which allowed modifications by the air depots.

Sometimes the mechanics only installed one per wing.

The installation in production was at the rate of two vents per wing tip from the following blocks:

_ block B17G-15-BO(eing) (s/n 42-31332 and following ) from October 1943,

_ block B17G-25-DL (Douglas) (s/n 42-37989 and following) from December 1943,

_ block B17G-?- VE(ga) (s/n???) from? 

Sleepy Time Gal was a B17G-35-DL delivered in Tulsa on February 24, 1944. She must therefore have two vents per wing tip.

But that remains a detail ...

Have fun in modeling.

Regards, 

Eric-Snafu35

Edited by Snafu35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The so called 'Tokyo tanks?'

Wiki says this-

Although the tanks were removable, this could only be done by first removing the wing panels, and so was not a routine maintenance task. A drawback to the tanks was that there was no means of measuring remaining fuel quantity within the cells. Fuel was moved from the cells to the engine tanks by opening control valves within the bomb bay so that the fuel drained by gravity. Although the tanks were specified as self-sealing, vapor buildup within partially drained tanks made them explosive hazards in combat.

Hence the vents. Probably

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2021 at 00:19, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

So how are we to differentiate between you having been driven nuts and your normal nuts?

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Martian said:

So how are we to differentiate between you having been driven nuts and your normal nuts?

Confused of Mars 👽

Today my 5-year old grandson said "I don't want apple juice because it makes me crazy. I want chocolate milk so I'll only be part crazy." So, like that.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 10

On 03/05/2021 at 10:58, Snafu35 said:

Good morning CedB

Your work is progressing well, faster than mine! 👍

About wing tip vents, I am certainly not an expert, however I have noted some informations for my own builds.

These hatches allowed the gasoline vapors contained in the wing tanks to escape into the atmosphere, and thus avoid explosions in flight.

These vents were tested on B17Gs of the Fifteenth Air Force, then they were available in kits which allowed modifications by the air depots.

Sometimes the mechanics only installed one per wing.

The installation in production was at the rate of two vents per wing tip from the following blocks:

_ block B17G-15-BO(eing) (s/n 42-31332 and following ) from October 1943,

_ block B17G-25-DL (Douglas) (s/n 42-37989 and following) from December 1943,

_ block B17G-?- VE(ga) (s/n???) from? 

Sleepy Time Gal was a B17G-35-DL delivered in Tulsa on February 24, 1944. She must therefore have two vents per wing tip.

But that remains a detail ...

Have fun in modeling.

Regards, 

Eric-Snafu35

On 03/05/2021 at 11:04, Pete in Lincs said:

The so called 'Tokyo tanks?'

Wiki says this-

Although the tanks were removable, this could only be done by first removing the wing panels, and so was not a routine maintenance task. A drawback to the tanks was that there was no means of measuring remaining fuel quantity within the cells. Fuel was moved from the cells to the engine tanks by opening control valves within the bomb bay so that the fuel drained by gravity. Although the tanks were specified as self-sealing, vapor buildup within partially drained tanks made them explosive hazards in combat.

Hence the vents. Probably

Thanks Eric and Pete - interesting stuff and more confusion… 

I guess these aircraft had lots of mods during their life and it's hard to model something at 'a point in time' eh? :) 

On 03/05/2021 at 13:06, Martian said:

Confused of Mars 👽

On 03/05/2021 at 19:22, Navy Bird said:

Today my 5-year old grandson said "I don't want apple juice because it makes me crazy. I want chocolate milk so I'll only be part crazy." So, like that.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Marian and Bill - asked and answered! :D 

I'm in one of those moods today, again, where I start with good intentions and then something irritates me and I have to stop.

Luckily I 'looked ahead' (rare, I know) and saw that the nose turret fairing gets added right at the end.

Why, I thought. Better glue it on before the primer:

51159776804_a090b32825_z.jpg

There are locating pins in the bottom of the part.

No holes in the fuselage (I checked the other one) and no instructions to drill them.

Oh well, off with the pins and stick it on.

Of course now, when I paint, I'll have to rotate the turret to paint the back.

That's why.

Grrrr.

The broken arm on the ball turret support broke again.

Glued, again:

51160247050_7e26d6a2b4_z.jpg

I've also noticed in the scheme the stencils that go on the ball turret.

Better put those on before the ball gets stuck in eh?

Assembly before close up and a last look at the internals on this one:

51158478557_92c9d1a847_z.jpg

I think I have all the bits ready:

51160247960_3eb1fe9a64_z.jpg

Nope, nose windows.

More masking.

• Like 17
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Marian and Bill - asked and answered! :D I

Marian? I wasn't aware I had had a sex change. I'm sure I would have noticed if I had.

Observant of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, Martian said:

Marian? I wasn't aware I had had a sex change. I'm sure I would have noticed if I had.

Observant of Mars 👽

John Wayne's real first name was Marion. He never had a sex change. Just saying...     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 7