Desert Camouflaged Harrier GR.5

Des

Came across a picture of a Harrier GR.5 in a wraparound desert colour scheme in a second-hand book that I have just bought.

Book is ’80 ANS DE COMBAT AĖRIEN’ by Tim Laming & Jeremy Flack published 1998 by ETAI in France as a reprint of a 1996 original by the Promotional Reprint Company Ltd possibly as ‘80 Years Of Air Combat’ or similar.     Book is in French throughout and is quite possibly a straightforward translation although the number of French types covered suggests maybe a modified reprint.     Type of book that might be sold new in Garden Centres or unlikely chain stores with a book stand , a third of the pages with text and some images , remainder is mainly colour captioned images.    Was not what I thought it was going to be but at £5 including shipping from MOMOX in Germany it adds a few new images to the library.

On pages 222/223 there is a double-page spread of as I mentioned a desert camouflaged Harrier GR.5 seen from head on in wraparound Sand or Light Stone/Reddish Brown or Earth colour scheme seen as in a camouflage net ‘hide’ with a building behind and sitting on PSP wheel guides laid on sand with a selection of grey painted UK-built weapons each carrying their name displayed around it.     My impression is that it might well be a full-size fibreglass promotional model rather than an actual airframe and that its is being shown at a Trade Show somewhere although a friend who regularly attends there reckons not Farnborough.

I realise that it was most definitely not an operational colour scheme and most probably not even applied to a real aircraft but despite the many trees that have died to provide my library and an internet search I can find nothing at all about this although the more well known plastic RAF recruiting display Harrier does feature , anyone have any information?

12 hours ago, Silverkite said:

Sure it's not this one?

12 hours ago, Richard E said:

Something of a very long shot, although it's from a different era could it be Hawker's appropriately registered two seat Harrier T52 demonstrator G-VTOL ?

Definitely no in both cases I'm afraid.

However , another look at the photo in daylight and I realised what was niggling me about it and makes me even more certain that it was a full-size Trade Event 'plastic' replica is that it has the four pylon wing of the GR.5/7 but the FLIR and radar nose of an AV-8B Harrier II Plus although the detail around that area in particular is very vague.

1 hour ago, Des said:

However , another look at the photo in daylight and I realised what was niggling me about it and makes me even more certain that it was a full-size Trade Event 'plastic' replica is that it has the four pylon wing of the GR.5/7 but the FLIR and radar nose of an AV-8B Harrier II Plus although the detail around that area in particular is very vague.

It's not a Trumpeter 1/32nd scale kit .....? :)

• Haha 3