Yellow Peril Desert Texan - T6G-2 EALA11/72, Armée de l'Air, La Réghaia, Algeria, 1957

Wez

This is a placeholder for the first of my two builds.

I'll be using the excellent Academy 1/72nd scale kit with the Berna Decals for the EALA3/1 option.  I've got the LF resin bits and bobs to arm the beastie with but I'm in two minds about using them.

Kit and gubbins

IMG_20210329_191503

References

IMG_20210329_191332

The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted there's two kits in that box, well I haven't settled on my 2nd subject yet (and to be fair, I'm hoping Special Hobby get a wriggle on and release their Harvard kits).

• Like 8

• Wez changed the title to Yellow Peril Desert Texan - T6G-2 EALA11/72, Armée de l'Air, La Réghaia, Algeria, 1957

This'll be fun @Wez.  And you're not the only modeller building 2 aircraft!  I think I might have to build 2 (because I have 2), @Corsairfoxfouruncle has the same Encore Fun Box that I have and @Foxbat has his duet.  Those books looks like good references to get too.  I might have to search them out.

• Thanks 1

A very nice choice Wez.

I have been pondering a French Tomcat for my build too, but in 1/48 scale.

Great selection of references, I have them except for Tome 2 of the Armee De L'Air in North Africa and regularly kick myself for not getting it when I had the chance.

I shall be following along with interest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Wez...is your Academy kit the same as the Encore moulds?  It looks like it...

Yes John, Encore, like the forthcoming Special Hobby and Wolfpack kits all used the Academy plastic - fortunately, it's a very good kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So there he is, he proposes this GB and then nothing happens...  ...well, truth told I've been in a bit of a modelling fug but I think I've come out of it now :D

The French used a number of Harvards and Texans in North Africa, the Harvards were used for training whilst the Texans, though originally intended for training, got used for light attack.  The version used by these light attack units (L'Aviation Légère D'Appui), was the T-6G.  When the French armed them they initially had a single MAC34/39 7.5mm machine gun bolted under the wing with ammunition fed from tanks in the wings, the guns were exposed to the elements not least of which was dust and dirt and the guns were unsurprisingly, prone to jamming, the French referred to this version as the T-6G1.

To overcome this a gun pod was developed, this housed two MAC52 7.5mm machine guns, doubling up firepower and eliminating the jams, the French refer to this version as the T-6G2.

Most T-6G's were fitted with a spinner, most but not all! 

Typically, my subject didn't have a spinner and the propeller hub was exposed (as seen on most Harvards and earlier Texans), this is a bit of a problem because the kits hub is plain and lacks detail which is fine if you use the spinner but as I'm not, I had to do something about it.  First of all, I needed to find a decent picture of the spinnerless prop hub, fortunately, there's plenty out there, this one in particular proving very, very useful.

So I set to work and hopefully, it was quite easy really and hopefully, my step by step guide will help you if you decide you need to go down this route...

Stages 1 and 2

Stages 3 and 4

Stages 5 and 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Next on the agenda is the ignition harness for the engine...  ...see the next episode!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is fantastic detailing Wez, especially in 1/72 scale. :worthy:

It's the curse of being an aircraft engineer, you see something wrong, you want to fix it.

Thanks for the compliment.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wez said:

It's the curse of being an aircraft engineer, you see something wrong, you want to fix it.

Actually the curse of being a GOOD aircraft engineer, I have worked with quite a few that when faced with something wrong would rather walk away and let someone else fix it.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Actually the curse of being a GOOD aircraft engineer, I have worked with quite a few that when faced with something wrong would rather walk away and let someone else fix it.

Too stubborn to do that, people like that don't work with me for very long

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

So there he is, he proposes this GB and then nothing happens...  ...well, truth told I've been in a bit of a modelling fug but I think I've come out of it now :D

The French used a number of Harvards and Texans in North Africa, the Harvards were used for training whilst the Texans, though originally intended for training, got used for light attack.  The version used by these light attack units (L'Aviation Légère D'Appui), was the T-6G.  When the French armed them they initially had a single MAC34/39 7.5mm machine gun bolted under the wing with ammunition fed from tanks in the wings, the guns were exposed to the elements not least of which was dust and dirt and the guns were unsurprisingly, prone to jamming, the French referred to this version as the T-6G1.

To overcome this a gun pod was developed, this housed two MAC52 7.5mm machine guns, doubling up firepower and eliminating the jams, the French refer to this version as the T-6G2.

Most T-6G's were fitted with a spinner, most but not all! 

Typically, my subject didn't have a spinner and the propeller hub was exposed (as seen on most Harvards and earlier Texans), this is a bit of a problem because the kits hub is plain and lacks detail which is fine if you use the spinner but as I'm not, I had to do something about it.  First of all, I needed to find a decent picture of the spinnerless prop hub, fortunately, there's plenty out there, this one in particular proving very, very useful.

So I set to work and hopefully, it was quite easy really and hopefully, my step by step guide will help you if you decide you need to go down this route...

Next on the agenda is the ignition harness for the engine...  ...see the next episode!

That is nice work, Wez. I recall your very useful guidance in that regard when I was building my Gabonese Harvard :).

It’s great to see you back at it, mate!!

Martin

• Thanks 1

It's nice to see this one underway Wez.  With all that detailing on the prop hub, I'm guessing that you're probably now about 25% complete :winkgrin:.

• Haha 3