Airfix Renault Dauphine

On 29/03/2021 at 20:06, Michael Church said:

I didn't grow up with Airfix, so seeing these 1/32 builds sent me off on a Google search. There's something seriously tempting about building a Vauxhall Victor estate or another of the very much non-sporting 1960s British cars if they were available. But I am glad to see Airfix never made a Morris Oxford Series III, because my wife would be demanding that I mod one to look like a Hindustan Ambassador taxicab. 

Actually there is (or at least was) a resin bodyshell  of a Hindustani Ambassador available in 1/32nd for slot racing, have one in my stash!

Sorry if that means you have to make one now!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot guys, I'm glad you like the work.

Today has seen basic spraying of parts. The seats turned out to become red, slightly darker than the body, this after studying an Acton built UK spec 1960 in red that looked very nice. The square sheet is a piece of decal film that will eventually be cut into four door cards if all goes according to plan.

D50.jpg

• Like 4

Your Dauphine looks great in red, looks exactly the same colour as my Gordini Dauphine witch had red seats with red piping.

You are certainly bringing back some very pleasant memories with this build.

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Your Dauphine looks great in red, looks exactly the same colour as my Gordini Dauphine witch had red seats with red piping.

You are certainly bringing back some very pleasant memories with this build.

Thanks a lot Roger, I'm very happy to bring back some memories of such a nice car! 👍😎

• Like 1

Brilliant to see all these old airfix kits being built, around this time last year I did a blue DB5 and this 1/32 Bentley. 

It's amazing how well they come up with a little patience :) I look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Andy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Brilliant to see all these old airfix kits being built, around this time last year I did a blue DB5 and this 1/32 Bentley. 

It's amazing how well they come up with a little patience :) I look forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Thanks a lot Andy. I do remember your lovely Bentley. There is indeed a lot hidden in these old kits, that a little help can reveal.

• Like 1

All the parts have been painted and are waiting for a finished body, that is still some way off.

D51.jpg

I never removed the Airfix logo underneath, I almost always do with such things, but in some strange way it felt good to leave it.

D52.jpg

A little Bare Metal chrome foil applied, and a start at detail painting is made.

D53.jpg

D54.jpg

Bare Metal foil has also been applied to the edges of the front and rear screens.

D55.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks a lot Andy. I do remember your lovely Bentley. There is indeed a lot hidden in these old kits, that a little help can reveal.

On Pendleton slot cars website, there are many resin reproduction bodies for long out of production Airfix kits, I recently bought a Marina shell, but they also have quite a few other bodies to build, might be something you like on there... :)

Andy 

• Like 1

The bodyshell is looking really good Jörgen, did you paint it in gloss paint and polish it, or was it basecoat and clearcoat? If it was the latter can I ask what clear and compounds/polishes did you use? The shine looks just right for the car in period. All the other painted parts are looking really nice too!

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The bodyshell is looking really good Jörgen, did you paint it in gloss paint and polish it, or was it basecoat and clearcoat? If it was the latter can I ask what clear and compounds/polishes did you use? The shine looks just right for the car in period. All the other painted parts are looking really nice too!

Thanks Keith.

It's sprayed with automotive touch-up spray, acrylic laquer, decanted and airbrushed with a small amount of retarder added to slow the drying a little, so it dries with a nice sheen. The top surfaces had a light rub with a soft 4000-pad and light polish with Meguiar's 205. Shiny and smooth but not the thick wet-look.

• Thanks 1

The interior has been assembled. Black rubber floor mats all over for this model and year.

D56.jpg

The dash board and steering wheel of the standard R1090 Dauphine. These are the plain Airfix parts just painted. They did a good job on this.

D57.jpg

Detail painting of the body is done, the home printed decals applied and some assembly has started. Windows will be next.

D58.jpg

D59.jpg

• Like 14

Another great update Jörgen, I do like how the different surface finishes you've got on the interior parts replicates the different materials used in the real car so well. And that dashnoard is great! I also admire your attention to detail in making sure you have the right parts for the model year of car, really good stuff!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot for your kind praise guys; I'm very happy you like the work.

The windscreen is installed and the seal strip painted, wipers and headlights followed. It would be possible to come up with something better than the Airfix headlights, but I had actually expected worse so I leave them.

D60.jpg

The rear window was painted black all around the inner edge and glue joints. With that dry I followed with red on top of that on the inside top edge, to recreate the body colour steel profile the headliner tucks in behind on the real car.

D61.jpg

I made some templates and cut door cards from my painted decal film. The chrome strips are self adhesive from Tron (well known for us into 1/43) in Italy, not sure they are still available.

D62.jpg

And here applied. I have now made some very simple inner door handles and cranks that will also be fitted once paint is dry.

D63.jpg

Door windows fitted, the strips are cut from some photo etch scrap. The dashboard with steering wheel has also been fitted.

D64.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks a lot for the kind praise guys, you are most kind.

A little more progress this morning. The rear screen is fitted and painted in. It's still a bit compromised in shape and curvature but this is as good as I'm going to make it.

D65.jpg

A bit more detail work on the door windows.

D66.jpg

Here is the inside of the rear screen. I also fitted simplified representations of inner handles and cranks to the doors, just to have something there.

D67.jpg

D68.jpg

• Like 9