Museum reopening dates?

Adam Poultney

We're rapidly approaching the time when air museums can once again open their... well, not their doors but their gates to the outside exhibits.  I know some are holding off for a while longer yet and others are looking to reopen the outdoor spaces.

Has anyone put together a list of dates when various UK museums will reopen? If not, I'll start a list here. 

RAF Museum Cosford and Hendon

Dates not announced - assuming 17th May?

IWM Duxford

12th April, outdoors only

Army Flying Museum

17th May

East Midlands Aeropark

Date not announced - assuming 17th May?

Fleet Air Arm Museum

17th May

National Museum of Flight, East Fortune

26th April (indoors or just outdoors?)

Newark Air Museum

16th April outdoors only, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

17th May(?) hangars and indoors displays

North East Land Sea and Air Museums

No date announced - work by volunteers resuming April

City of Norwich Aviation Museum

3rd May, outdoors only

Midland Air Museum

17th May full reopening

Yorkshire Air Museum (Elvington)

22 May (?)

etc etc etc

I'll add more as I get info if no one else has already done this

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Nice of IWM to charge £15 to look at half a dozen airliners and a V-1 on a ramp.

I'd love to wander around the site for a day and explore a bit, but £15 is a bit steep for that. 

• Like 1

Not wishing to 'rain on anyone's parade,' as we all know the last year has been more than a little fraught.

Having been in regular contact with the local authority covid team since July 2020, I have been told that the number of new and changing rules is happening daily.

The meeting indoors of more than two households / six people is scheduled to come into operation "No earlier than Monday May 17th 2021" this being under

'step 3' of the government road map to lower restrictions due to covid, with the caviate that the rules we followed, face masks, 2 Meter rule, regular hand washing / sanitizing etc. before lockdown 3 came into force STILL need to be followed. Remember also, there are different rules in force for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Worth mentioning that national museums (RAF Hendon and Cosford and IWM Duxford) CAN rather than will reopen, along with other state / council run sites, libraries etc.

from the 12th April, (step 2) but the date is in the hands of those sites.

The English venues that have so far been listed as 're opening' on the 17th May are currently accurate, BUT can be subject to short notice (24 hours or less) changes.

Will have a word with one of our members who volunteers at the Yorkshire Air Museum what the state of play is with them, if they have a date in mind for their re opening.

Paul Brown, North Riding.

• Like 1

By no means is this the definitive official list, but it's good to have working dates all in one place. These museums have taken such a financial hit on the last year, they need to be supported when safe to do so. 

I'm planning trips to a number of museums which have a substantial amount of the collection displayed outside in May ideally, but of course there is no certainty. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

These museums have taken such a financial hit on the last year, they need to be supported when safe to do so. 

Too right, I'll be going back to the FAAM just to give them some of my cash! Its on the doorstep and I've been many times :)

The Museum of Army Flying is the other one on my list - I've only ever passed by Middle Wallop.

The former Western Canada Aviation Museum here in Winnipeg will be opening early next year. The are currently building a new museum building and have also had a name change after royal assent to the Royal Aviation Museum, https://royalaviationmuseum.com/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Too right, I'll be going back to the FAAM just to give them some of my cash! Its on the doorstep and I've been many times :)

The Museum of Army Flying is the other one on my list - I've only ever passed by Middle Wallop.

My pet hate subject FAA museum theiving gits now that they are part of the dockyard mafia ....just my opinion. 

Spend your hard earned LH cash with middle wallop ....they have earnt it....fab lock lectures

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Yorkshire Air Museum (Elvington)

According to one of the volunteers the intention is to reopen, if all goes to plan, on Saturday 22nd May, tickets will be going on sale shortly. Currently the volunteers are limited to six on site.

• Like 1