CA Glue - Wouldn’t it be nice if ......

nheather

They made the bottles and spouts out of a material that CA does not stick to.

Seriously, I’d appreciate any advice on how to look after my bottles.

I buy ZAP CA, prepared to spend considerable more for what I presume is a better product.  I have all three viscosities in the 1 oz bottles.

No matter how well I try to look after them excess glue seams to appear (presumably after I have used it and replace the cap) and drip down the spout.  I  then end up with a cap that no longer has that satisfying click when it closes and a nozzle that gets blocked, either with a hard glue plug or a gel.

And to clear it, my only option seems to ram the offending plug/gel back down into the bottle for it reappear when I try to use it next.

As for the glue on the spout, I have tried chipping it off but the spout seems to be made of a plastic that CA really works well adhering to.

Appreciate any advice - otherwise I’m seriously thinking of swapping to smaller cheaper alternatives to Zap in the future.

• Like 1

I genuinely can't be bothered with brand Super Glue. I just get blisters (3x1g) from Lidl when they pop up every now and then. The Pattex black cap ones are really liquid-y and they have a very small whitening effect. When they dry up I just toss it in the bin.  

• Like 3

I agree! Zap could probably spend a little more time experimenting with different materials and designs. Wouldn't it also be nice to have some sort of dispenser when you just need a small amount of glue? Like, always? I mean, a dispenser that actually works, like a integrated brush or some kind of metallic pointy thingy. Should you really have to buy that from a different manufacturer conciderng the price-tag of the glue?

• Like 1

I use this. I get it from the pharmacy up the street. The green cap has a built-in pointy pin in it that goes into the neck, to keep it clear. After most every use, I give the tip of the vial a wipe with a bit of paper towel moistened with some acetone based nail polish remover. I've had this vial for over 3 years now and it's still useable.

49593842711_1cf6bfe36f_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dunderklumpen said:

Wouldn't it also be nice to have some sort of dispenser when you just need a small amount of glue?

I decant a drop onto a plastic lid and use a length of wire or a cocktail stick to apply the glue where I want it.

I'm with you, though, on wishing the nozzles wouldn’t cake with glue. :rolleyes:

I did some reading today and this is what I discovered.

1. If you can remove the spout then soak it is acetone might remove the dried CA
  2. Smear the outside of the spout and where the cap joins with petroleum jelly - stops excess glue sticking to spout and lid
  3. When finished, hold the bottle up right and squeeze a little a few time so that air comes out and is then pulled back in - this will help pull the residue glue from the spout into the bottle and help prevent the spout from sealing up

Started trying 2 and 3,  seems to be helping a little though limited because I already have hardened glue but think it would work very well with a new bottle.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 4

On 29/03/2021 at 18:40, Heather Kay said:

I decant a drop onto a plastic lid and use a length of wire or a cocktail stick to apply the glue where I want it.

I'm with you, though, on wishing the nozzles wouldn’t cake with glue. :rolleyes:

I do that too, but sometimes (often) I’m lazy, and then I wish for a smaller nozzle 😀

On 3/30/2021 at 8:57 PM, Dunderklumpen said:

I do that too, but sometimes (often) I’m lazy, and then I wish for a smaller nozzle 😀

This is what I do to.  I use Zap 1 oz bottles, bet never apply directly with the spout, or even the thin applicator spout.  I always decant a little onto a piece of polythene and then apply with a pin or cocktail stick.

The mystery is that when I have finished there is no glue on the spout, I put the cap back on, store it upright - and then some time later I realised that the spout has somehow become caked in dried CA - how does that happen?

Cheers,

Nigel

4 hours ago, nheather said:

The mystery is that when I have finished there is no glue on the spout, I put the cap back on, store it upright - and then some time later I realised that the spout has somehow become caked in dried CA - how does that happen?

No one knows. It's one of lifes great mysteries 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue, exascerbated by the fact I normally apply glue direct from the nozzle to the parts required, so I tend to get extra glue on the outside of the spout. I normally give it a squeeze and a few taps on the desk to try and pull it back into the bottle but I get sticky crusty bits too. I normally trim mine off with an old blade when they get bad but would be great to have a real winning solution to the problem yep.

I just use Poundland superglue 7tubes or 3 bottles for a pound.  Seems to work fine on models including for biplane rigging.  And so cheap you don’t resent chucking a tube when it gums up - though it’s still random; one will be able to be used for months and another gums up after a couple of uses!

I actually went the other way around and got myself some larger CA bottles from ebay UK. They are cheaper by the ml and last a pretty long time. The rigid nature of the bottle prevents the glue from going out too much without being able to get back in, and to hold the bottle firmly while wiping out any excess from the tip. As others have mentionned, it's always best to get a drop on a disposable surface (I use the sprues plastic wrapping), clean the bottle tip, close it and then use the CA drop.

Arnaud

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

I just use Poundland superglue 7tubes or 3 bottles for a pound.  Seems to work fine on models including for biplane rigging.  And so cheap you don’t resent chucking a tube when it gums up - though it’s still random; one will be able to be used for months and another gums up after a couple of uses!

Same answer -  but additionally a smear of vasaline on the threads, to prevent the lid sticking to the nozzle.

• Like 1