HMS Griffin - G class Destroyer, 1939

That is a beautiful looking ship.

There's so much to take in, on many different levels.

My ship modelling such as it was, was many years ago, the Airfix 1.600 scale range were the available kits at the time. HMS Cossack and HMS Nelson and so forth. The small Destroyers were exactly that to my young eyes, small. Your model, with it's figures to provide scale, dispel that thought. It's quite a stroll from one end to the other! HMS Nelson must have been vast! It's only taken fifty or more years for the penny to drop here.

Then there's the details that bring home how cold and harsh life aboard must have been. Open Bridge, Turrets, windswept decks, cold steel everywhere and so on. What my mind saw as tiny pop guns turn out to be quite a size with figures to compare against. The mast ladders look absolutely terrifying.

Then there's the setting. The calm of the mooring invites closer inspection and the quality of the build rewards just that. I felt myself being drawn into the scene.

All in all a magnificent model. Thank you for posting.

Tony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well Rob, you really knocked it out of the park with this one, what a jewel, your attention to detail is first rate, as someone just said, it slowly sucks you in as you notice more and more clever little touches, simply lovely !!

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

You are right, Fellows - all scene could be a painting titled "Silence before Storm". 

This model is as good book - you want go back to it and once again recognizing another after another different aspects or just... to please the eyes.

Very fine in all dimensions - from narration, composition, eye - catching anecdotes (boat, figures) till details.

I like especially last photo with gun directed us and subtle blicks of light on broadside. 

And finally - very quick build!

Splendid as always.

Are (galleys?) chimneys ( H-shaped) made from plastic profile or injection needle?

One thing I like less are rather thick edges of decks and bridge, but these are minor details only. Never mind 😉

Lot of lessons and inspirations for me, many thanks!

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your very kind and generous comments, they are very much appreciated :)

6 hours ago, Zigomar said:

C'est magnifique!😍

Tres sympa - merci beaucoups.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, socjo1 said:

Are (galleys?) chimneys ( H-shaped) made from plastic profile or injection needle?

Hi Michal - they are Plastruct rod 0.5mm -  the Photo-etch ones did not look right

Thanks again all

Rob

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Michal - theay are Plastruct rod 0.5mm -  the Photo-etch ones did not look right

👍 Fully agree!

Regards, Michał

• Like 1