Bf-109G-4/G-6 in Regia Aeronautica Service

Fernando

Hallo, gentlemen,

I am working on an Eduard 1/48 109G-4 and plan to finish it as a G-4/R6 in RA service, either from 364° or 365° Squadriglia. I have enough problems trying to pinpoint a G-4, as most of the aircraft in pictures are G-6 (very logical, as most of the aircraft were G-6s).

My question is: the German insignia were reportedly painted over in Grigio Azzurro Chiaro; this colour, roughly equivalent to FS36307, is a bit darker than RLM76 but much lighter than RLM75. Now, in fuselage especially, the contrast is not so great (on wings it is much more difficult to ascertain due to tha angle of the wings) It has been said that the GAC base was oversprayed in a darker colour: Verde Oliva Oscuro is the prime pick, which is a very dark colour. However, a color picture of "365-1", though it shows some very dark mottles, seems to show mostly Dark Grey overspray of the GAC zone on fuselage. At the same time, the upper wing surface shows the GAC zone and might have some mottling in a dark colour, but nothing can be ascertained. Other machines do show a dark overspray, but neither shows definitely VOS (z.B. "365-14", a G-6/R6 Trop). Even a picture which may be "364-5" ( in D'Amico's book) shows a sparse dark mottle (VAC? RLM70?), but not necessarily covering the GAC. A dark Grey colour could have been used, be RLM75 (if available, probably not) or even Grigio Mimetico (a bit like FS36231). IMHO, VOS is very dark and the contrast would show even in grainy B&W pictures (it does, actually) Cannot say the picture below is not a colorized one; a B&W version exists.

Is there any consensus on the matter among the readership?

Thanks in advance, 

Fernandospacer.png

A very interesting question...and in all honesty I have NO IDEA what the answer might be!

But I wonder if Grigio Azzuro Scuro (the standard "Tavola 10" dark grey upper surface paint for seaplanes) might be another color to be considered? Would maintenance depots or fighter units have had stocks of that?

If German paints were available, 74, 75 and 02 might all be possible. Or, it might have been some "none of the above" field mix...