Me 262 – Tamiya 1/48

spacer.png

This is my first WWII kit after primary school. I always loved the design of the 262, but never found the regular mottle camo even remotely attractive, so I was happy to learn at some point that there were more uniform schemes available. The inspiration for this particular paint job came from a build by the great Chris Wauchop; I hope the enthusiasts here will forgive me that I just slapped the kit's incorrect aircraft numbers on it.

spacer.png

I chose the Tamiya kit over the Hobby Boss offering simply because it comes with a pilot. Beware that the kit will totally spoil you with it's meticulous details and great fit (though I can't attest to it's accuracy)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for the painting process (all colors are Tamiya acrylics), the whole kit was primed with Dark Sea Grey, the underside then was irregularly painted inside the panels with a mix of 2 x Sky Grey - 3 x Light Blue - 7 x White. The top received an overall misting of pure Field Grey, then the light green was applied in a 1:1:1 mix of Sky Grey, Flat Green and White. Finally, a 1:1 mix of Field Grey and White was used to live up the dark areas and to blend between the colors. Since the panel lines are molded pretty sharp, no panel wash was used. The decals were misted with the camo colors to tie them in.

Some more pics in my Flickr album.

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

The lines of the 262 really do beg to be shown gear up and in flight!

Have been wanting to build some in flight (Like Walter I need the shelf space and am running out of folded wing subjects) so that is now on the list.

• Thanks 1