Not your grandfather's Hawker--ZE396

All:

Here is ZE396, the subject of a walk-around in Britmodeller, as she appeared in the mid-80's, https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9775977, when the world was different.  Lumps and bumps came later, as did other paint schemes.  She was one of the last group of four to be retired in 2015.  As "working" military aircraft, these jets were clean, but not spotless.  They served the RAF loyally for 30+ years.

To build the CC3, I had to bash three kits together: Sword's U-125A, Matchbox's 1974 HS.125-600, and bits from Airfix's Dominie T1.  I approached this build with some trepidation, but it worked out to be a fair representation of the real thing.  Hope you enjoy it!

spacer.pngspacer.pngey served the RAF

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

You`ve done a fabulous job,.... I`d love to know which bits of which kits you used,...... as you`ve really got the look of the real thing off to a tee mate,

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

@RMCSThanks so much!  I really want to honor lesser-sung heroes of the air.  Next time I need to try a Beaufort!

12 minutes ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done a fabulous job,.... I`d love to know which bits of which kits you used,...... as you`ve really got the look of the real thing off to a tee mate,

Cheers

Thanks so much, @tonyot!  I have an WIP, but to be brief, I shortened the engines from the Sword kit, stole its horizontal stab, landing gear, interior bits, and underwing flap guides.  From Airfix, I took the Dominie's clear cockpit part, air data probes, and one of the antennas (glide slope? I'm unsure).  Matchbox supplied the base kit, but it needed loads of work.  

12 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Quality work! Like Tony says above, you've really captured the look of the original.

Thanks, @Harry Lime!  It was a long struggle to get there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@RMCSThanks so much!  I really want to honor lesser-sung heroes of the air.  Next time I need to try a Beaufort!

Thanks so much, @tonyot!  I have an WIP, but to be brief, I shortened the engines from the Sword kit, stole its horizontal stab, landing gear, interior bits, and underwing flap guides.  From Airfix, I took the Dominie's clear cockpit part, air data probes, and one of the antennas (glide slope? I'm unsure).  Matchbox supplied the base kit, but it needed loads of work.  

Thanks, @Harry Lime!  It was a long struggle to get there.

Brilliant cheers,.... I was looking for a WIP,.... I`ll have another look mate!

• Like 1

What a great looking model!

Great photography too!

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Thanks, AdrianMF--I really appreciate the compliments! The photos hide a few sins.

Don’t worry, I’m sure we all do a bit of that! 👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Just amazing!

Thanks so much!  It's amazing that I finished it...!

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

What a great looking model!

Great photography too!

Thanks, @Bandsaw Steve!  I do not have a really great camera, but the dark blue background really helps with something like this.  The little ramp is a resin molding from a friend of mine in South Carolina.  I think it really helps in terms of composition and visual interest, so I'll try and use it more often on projects that fit on it.

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

old school model skills with some new wrinkles.

Thank you so much, @stevehnz!  I really, really, wanted to show myself that I could do better than the two previous builds I did in middle school (eons ago), and moreover, really wanted an RAF BAe 125-700 that looked like a military aircraft with roundels in the six positions.  So I went out of my way to purchase this Matchbox kit on e-bay.  I don't know what first attracted me, as a 12 year old, to the Matchbox HS-125, but I think the box art helped.

11 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Exceptional work and finish well done!

TT

Thanks so much, TT!  

• Like 2

You've produced a beautiful model. It's a shame that executive jets apparently aren't popular subjects for model kits. You'd think the military variants would be produced and those with a thing for civilian markings could find a way to produce a model more to their liking. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

It's a shame that executive jets apparently aren't popular subjects for model kits. You'd think the military variants would be produced and those with a thing for civilian markings could find a way to produce a model more to their liking. 

Agree.  It IS a shame, particularly for those of us who like the older exec jets, but A-Model is working on this part of the market, including with the Lear 35/36, G550, and Falcon 50/50EX--all in 1/72 scale.  I'm hoping for a "clean" BAe-125 from Sword or A-Model, but not holding my breath on this.

18 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Brilliant looking 125, and Dominie

Thanks so much Lord Riot!  I really appreciate it.

18 hours ago, rodenlee said:

I wish someone would do a 1/48 kit...

I hear you on this, and 1/48 would be a logical scale for a subject this small.

9 hours ago, Bangseat said:

we do need a new 125-600 in 1:72

We need any of these beautiful aircraft--all variants--as a new injected kit.  Will it happen?  Who knows.  I'm unsure what Matchbox's production run was on these things after 1974 or how well they sold.  Kudos to Matchbox for some unusual subject matter!

17 hours ago, scottyphbeta said:

Really excellent modelling.

I worked on these in the mid 90's so brings back some good memories

Thanks so much for your encouragement!  I'm glad that this brings back good memories.  For others (on the maintenance side), it reportedly does not, given how non-standard the airframe and avionics can be from aircraft to aircraft.  But if you were working on RAF aircraft, perhaps standardization was not at issue, and you maintained a high availability rate!

17 hours ago, cngaero said:

The finished model is first class and captures the look perfectly. 

Thanks so much!  For me, the engines and presentation of the cockpit transparency were among the most important, as well as the fin height.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Agree.  It IS a shame, particularly for those of us who like the older exec jets, but A-Model is working on this part of the market, including with the Lear 35/36, G550, and Falcon 50/50EX--all in 1/72 scale.  I'm hoping for a "clean" BAe-125 from Sword or A-Model, but not holding my breath on this.

I read a recent build review of the Amodel G550. It looks real nice when finished but the kit is not builder friendly. Getting the passenger windows to fit right is difficult. 

• Thanks 1