How to paint wire spoke rims

Einar

Hi,

I'm in the process of attaching the wheels to my Revell Jaguar E-type. The chrome wire spoke rims look gorgeous but in the model the spokes are not separate and you can't see through the rims. I'd like to make the rims look more three dimensional (maybe by washing the rims with black acrylic or enamel paint). However, I'm afraid of ruining the parts in the trial and error process. 

Could you, please give some advice as to which is the best and most secure way of getting the wire spoke rims alive.

Thanks

Einar

Edited by Einar

Have you got a source for Citadel war gaming paints @Einar? There seems to be a chain of shops called Fantastiapelit, or an actual Warhammer shop in Helsinki. Amongst Citadel paints are various washes to pop detail on armoured miniatures. There’s a black one called Nuln Oil which is ideal for wire wheels and other metal bits...

best,

M.

When I get around to doing my Revell E-type I'm tempted to strip off the factory chrome, paint the wheels silver (as I think E-types originally had painted rather than chrome wheels), clear coat them and use a dark wash to add depth.

• Like 1

As said before you can use nearly every kind of black wash. Tamiyas panel line series is also a good choice. 

But the plan by johnlambert to strip the chrome and give it a silver paint is imo spot on for the spokes and when everything is done you can paint the rimsbed (is this the right word?) with a molotow chrome effect to give the polished look 

Marco F 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Have you got a source for Citadel war gaming paints @Einar? There seems to be a chain of shops called Fantastiapelit, or an actual Warhammer shop in Helsinki. Amongst Citadel paints are various washes to pop detail on armoured miniatures. There’s a black one called Nuln Oil which is ideal for wire wheels and other metal bits...

best,

M.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you very much for the hint. It sounds excellent. I will go and get me a bottle of Nuln oil wash.

Einar