P 38 G Lightning Tamiya 1/48

Hi all,

Here are a few shots of a build from last year that I had time to photograph this weekend. 

It is the beautiful P 38 G from Tamiya in 1/48 scale. I used aftermarket decals from Exito Decals, to depict ' Beautiful Lass'.

There is not much to say about the build, except that I decided to add rivets, using a riveting plan in a french modelling magazine. This was quite long and 

tedious, but since my technique is at last improving, it went faster than expected.

I painted the kit with Gunze acrylics. The chipping on the wing roots was partly done with an aluminium undercoat and chipping fluid, the smaller chips are done 

with a small paintbrush.

For the final weathering, I changed from my usual technique and used only oil paints. I am now sold on them, since they are so flexible,

have a nice Sunday !

Christian.

P1060610

P1060611

P1060612

P1060616

P1060619

P1060615

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful model and the display is excellent. Question: Should the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer be weathered too or did the airflow off the fuselage reduce abrasion to a minimum such that little or no weathering would be seen? I'm asking so as to learn, not to be critical of your work.

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful model and the display is excellent. Question: Should the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer be weathered too or did the airflow off the fuselage reduce abrasion to a minimum such that little or no weathering would be seen? I'm asking so as to learn, not to be critical of your work.

Hi, thanks a lot for the kind comments ! I must confess that I never thought about the leading edges of the stabilizers, but this is a very sensible question.

It could be that they take less airflow than the wings and hence stay in a better shape. Few pictures of airplanes from the period show stabilizer leading edges,

and I do not remember seeing a model with stabilizer edges chipped. 

So I did not bother with them, but I may very well be wrong,

best,

Christian.