Flying Legends 2021 - Happening Or Not?

spruecutter96

Hello, all. 

What do folks reckon are the chances of 'Legends actually occurring as planned this year? I would take a guess that the odds are about 70/30 against, as the virus situation currently stands in the UK. Let's face it, when this year's RIAT was cancelled, the odds on Legends going ahead got a LOT longer. Many big, outdoor events are moving their main shows to August or September from what I've seen - Tankfest is a good example. 

It seems like the Legends management are biding their time and waiting to see how the Summer pans out. I can't blame them - I would do exactly the same if I were in their position. By the way, if Legends does go ahead, I recommend that you get your tickets sooner rather than later. Sywell is a significantly smaller venue than Duxford and I reckon ticket numbers will have to be restricted, as a result. 

On a purely selfish level, I would very much like to do one big airshow this year, but if COVID is still very prevalent, I think I will be giving most events a wide berth.     

What do you think?

Chris. 

PS: We are nearly four months in to 2021 and no visible announcements about Legends participants.... Unusual?

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

Chris, @spruecutter96 for what it's worth, as with 2020, write off  '21 completely. Covid isn't going anywhere, it's something we're going to have to live with for many, many years. We WILL find a way to do this, but it's going to take time. Outdoor or indoor events, it doesn't matter, it's the quantity of bodies in a fairly confined area that will be the problem, be that on a field in Northamptonshire or in Halls 1, 2 and 3 at Telford. With a Government minister saying this morning (Sunday 28-03-2021) that NO guarantees could be made regarding the lifting of restrictions in time for summer. My take, 'suck it and see'. If you have visited a supermarket over the last nine months (the first three months were good) most 'customers' have reverted to type, can't or won't wait etc. etc. Those that have been to a SMW at Telford will know there is NO WAY, on God's green earth, you could separate the throng that hits Hall 3 cash desks between 09:00 and 10:30 on the Saturday. The main problem is, many have had their first jab / jag / injection, and suddenly their 'Superman' and nothing can or will touch them...............WRONG! Many on here and elsewhere will have loved ones working in the NHS, don't take it from me, ask those on the front line, "what will the injection do?" I know, as my Wife works in the 'care' sector and with two Daughters working with covid positive patiences daily, believe me, it AIN'T a magic bullet. When you get the chance, enjoy meeting with your extended family. If you can / are lucky enough to be able, enjoy a break away

(UK only, of course) but DO listen to your own 'self preservation' alarm. Do what's right for you AND for those around you, even though some really should know better.

Paul

• Like 2

Unfortunately, Paul, I think that what your saying will prove to be entirely accurate. COVID doesn't have any concerns about anyone's plans for the Summer - it will spread to as many people as it can find and it will wreck as much havoc as it can. Oh well, roll on 2022, then....!

Chris. 

• Like 2

I really feel for anybody who is trying to, or hoping to, organise any event of size this year. Even with the vaccination programme rolling out there is no visibility on what the next few months brings and trying to contract for printing tickets, programmes, hire staff and volunteers, performers of any kind (aircraft, tanks, bands, etc), book catering providers, marquees, St John ambulance cover, police support, etc etc has to be a nightmare of huge proportions. As for insurance against the event being cancelled? I don't think so.

For some events such as Old Warden or the Headcorn Battle of Britain show last September where specific spaces are marked out and the costs of staging the show with a limited number of customers still makes it economically feasible then I'm guessing we'll see the events go ahead which will be good news. For the larger events with a lot of supporting infrastructure I am very doubtful and would be delighted to be proved wrong.    

I sent the Legends organisers a quick message the other day. They came back with an official-sounding, vague response, along the lines of "Planning is going well, we will let you know when tickets are going on sale, etc". Reading between the lines a bit, I think the main message was "We don't know if it's going to happen or not, either". 

Like a great number of Summer event organisers, I would think they are all holding their breath (no pun intended) and waiting on further developments. 

Chris.   

• 1 month later...