1/32 Moebius Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama

Hi all, in 1966 this was the most expensive Sci-Fi film ever produced, costing 6 million dollars. The special effects cost 3 million dollars and were incredibly difficult to produce, but they looked amazing in the day when you consider they used no computer aided effects, it was all photo chemical film, every set had to be built and filmed through a camera. Today's CGI would give the director total control over the images, which makes it all the more remarkable how this film got made, a true 60's Sci-Fi classic. For this build I will be adding some lighting and all of the crew figures, which will be added into the diorama later in the build.

MDwsQHh.jpg
QBkilcc.jpg
PIqg1CP.jpg
IAOWIr6.png
tpmCpJq.png
Zh1qQOx.png

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 10

Hi guys, here is an update on the build progress of the Proteus sub. I decided to light up the ring around the pilots bubble view window. I had some thin LED strip tape that was a perfect fit. Then I added a LED into the pilots dashboard monitor. For the pilot I used a resin figure from the 1/32 reboxed Mobius Flying sub kit. This figure needed some alterations to his arms and legs to fit the seat and controls, but I think it will look good when finished.

I then started work on the chart cabinet, the movie shows the tray back lighted, so I set about getting this done and added a few more lights in the other electronic boxes. I think the kit decal of the internal body looks cool with the light behind it. I still have loads of details to get done, but I hope you like what I have put together for now.

Aeetayk.jpg
rN3KcnM.jpg
xR0MZbn.jpg
lzpOx0J.jpg
MdRSMMh.jpg
eoA7h0n.jpg
LDTCdAp.jpg
mRIQAc5.jpg
H2RnUdU.jpg
imQV3QA.jpg
ApYLJO0.png
afasaGD.jpg
de93H0V.jpg
jxeDQvo.jpg
92XLKV0.jpg
UH93iAR.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have finished the interior of the sub and its lighting. I decided to build a hatch using the rudder assembly so that it could be easily removed to reveal the rear laboratory. Also I have fitted the aftermarket window gaskets vinyl set. I hope you enjoy the pictures guys and thanks for the interest. I'll continue working on the build when time allows and update you all.

QFWYR1e.jpg
pA2qSbJ.jpg
bHN7Sc6.jpg
1g1Hjdu.jpg
eTa4WRS.jpg
nIBbCEo.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, here is an update on the Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama. I managed to get hold of various 1/32 figure kits that I converted to create the crew team. I have just about completed the crew and I have scratch built the landing legs that were seen deployed in the movie. My main idea is to not go for all out accuracy, but to try to show a flavour of what was seen in the film. Next, I have the diorama base to build and to close up the hull of the sub.

DLnxTow.jpg
AXVoWAt.jpg
RurfXuW.jpg
FSjO0XN.jpg
lBS8RPG.png
wHVQhk0.jpg
KaZzygC.jpg
UC2d7UV.jpg
qSSYFZh.jpg
ZWkr7po.jpg
VLSMrcX.jpg
ijZ9Ky5.png
fQtCE9c.png
UGHmCUn.jpg
Gqve3pP.jpg
1k1cEfY.jpg
0XNlgIJ.jpg
Vo4BawI.jpg
icgD97K.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Carts said:

Great job on the figures,was thinking about getting those Thunderball figures,are they any good?

Thanks ,I have not seen those figures, only seen the Jimmy Flintstone set that I decided to give a miss.

Back in the late 80's early 90's a computer game of this movie was made. I recall playing it on a friends Amstrad 128. It inspired me to watch the movie, which was great. Like how this is turning out.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John_W said:

Superb figure work. I have been eagerly waiting for Raquel to arrive on the scene.

Cheers John, she is a tight fit in my home made wet suit, but I doubt I will get many complain about that!😊

On 28/04/2021 at 20:02, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks ,I have not seen those figures

I think he’s referring to the diver figures,

spacer.png

which depict characters from the James Bond film “Thunderball”, rather than a manufacturer called Thunderball. 

Apologies if I’ve got it all to cock and you knew that, it happens a lot these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Lee Chambers changed the title to 1/32 Moebius Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama