Sherman II - Dragon and Asuka - 1/35

Hello everyone,

My initial idea was to build Dragon's Sherman II kit in 9th Lancers markings. However, after finding out that all 9L tanks that I was able to identify in my references were Lima built, while Dragon's kit was PSC built one, I decided to build Dragon kit as 3rd Hussars one, that I was able to identify as PSC built tank, and to build Asuka Sherman II kit as 9th Lancers, Lima built tank. It turned out to be an opportunity to compare those two kits.

So, there are two finished models in this RFI:

• Asuka kit No. No. 35-014, built as Lima manufactured tank, identified as T125063, of the 9th Lancers regiment, that participated in El Alamein battle as a part of 2nd Armoured Brigade, 1st Armoured Division. After the battle, regiment participated in a frantic chase for a few days until they reached Fuka. This build is intended to represent the tank that survived the battle and participated in this pursuit.
  • Dragon kit No. 6447, built as PSC manufactured tank identified as T144976 of the 3rd Hussars regiment, that participated El Alamein battle as a part of 9th Armoured Brigade, then attached to 2nd New Zealand Division. This regiment participated in the initial breakthrough during operation Supercharge, suffering great casualties. However, this 9AB brigade charge proved crucial in punching the hole in Axis lines that was heavily exploited afterwards by the 1st Armoured Division. I decided to build this kit as a tank ready for battle, that went through some training during one month period, but is in relatively good condition.

Kits are mostly built OOB, with some smaller changes and additions according to the reference photos I was using. The only AM additions are Panda tracks used on Asuka kit, Miniart stowage and AFV Club jerrycans. Decals are combination of kit provided ones, ToRo and Archer Fine Transfers. Both tanks are painted with a combination of Gunze and MRP paints and Vallejo paints for detail painting. Weathered with Mig's Nature effects and pigments.

You can find more in WIP section here.

Here's the the Asuka 9th Lancers tank:

9L - 1

9L - 5

9L - 4

9L - 3

9L - 7

9L - 10

9L - 9

9L - 8

And one on a black background:

9L - B

And here's the real thing I tried to represent:

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH AFRICA 1942

And this is the Dragon, 3rd Hussars tank:

3H - 1

3H - 2

3H - 4

3H - 3

3H - 5

3H - 7a

3H - 9

3H - 6

Black background:

3H - B

3H - 10

And this is one of the reference photos I was using:

4795114_orig

Thanks for looking and thanks for feedback!

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Excellent job Nenad on both tanks. The build and paintwork on each one looks spot on even under close inspection. I really like your dusting which adds a perfect dimension to the overall finish. You've got to happy with them.

Trace

• Thanks 1

Fabulous work on both. Very realistic paintwork and weathering. But I think you should have censored the serial of the 9th Lancers tank - to recreate the photo! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, Cerberus said:

Fantastic work Nenad on both, and the dusty weathering on the Asuka is so very very good :thumbsup: 

and those troublesome tracks turned out good :)

Matt

On 3/27/2021 at 9:11 PM, Stef N. said:

Fantastic pair Nenad. Really great modelling.👏👏

On 3/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, WYATT said:

Just awesome.... Can't beat abit of shermaness lol

On 3/27/2021 at 11:23 PM, Carius said:

Brillant job Nenad, I like that a lot, both

On 3/27/2021 at 11:52 PM, keefr22 said:

Two cracking models Nenad, both beautifully painted and weathered - and I also especially like the dusty weathering on the Asuka kit! Really nice photos too!

Excellent work all round!

Keith

On 3/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, Das Abteilung said:

Very nicely done.  Worth all the earlier research.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:19 AM, f matthews said:

Spectacular!

On 3/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Nenad, on both of them. You've done an excellent job. You can never have too many Shermans.

John.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, Whitewolf said:

Those are both really nice models! Beautiful scale accurate replicas of the real thing!

On 3/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, APA said:

Very nice job(s) indeed. Nice and dusty. Like the plain one with the OD showing through. Top job all round 👏

Andrew 

On 3/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Autle said:

Excellent job Nenad on both tanks. The build and paintwork on each one looks spot on even under close inspection. I really like your dusting which adds a perfect dimension to the overall finish. You've got to happy with them.

Trace

On 3/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, LiamA said:

Great builds Nenad, your pictures really show them off!! Liam.

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

They are both really impressive! Beautiful modelling! :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

6 hours ago, Ernst said:

Excelent work Nenad, two awesome models in one rfi.👍

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thank you all for your kind words! :thanks:

On 3/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, IanC said:

Fabulous work on both. Very realistic paintwork and weathering. But I think you should have censored the serial of the 9th Lancers tank - to recreate the photo! 😀

Thank you Ian. Now that is a great idea :)

On 3/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, junco said:

Fine work, I must finish my Asuka MKII now.

Neil

Thanks Neil. It's really a nice kit and joy to build, I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

Those are two first class models Nenad. The paintwork is spot on and I really like the dust effects on the Asuka build. Very nicely photographed as well.

It's been a very interesting WIP and great to see the comparison between the two kits. I will probably base my decision on which subject I decide to model but that's sometime down the road.

Keep up the good work, I shall look forward to your next project.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, diablo rsv said:

Those are two first class models Nenad. The paintwork is spot on and I really like the dust effects on the Asuka build. Very nicely photographed as well.

It's been a very interesting WIP and great to see the comparison between the two kits. I will probably base my decision on which subject I decide to model but that's sometime down the road.

Keep up the good work, I shall look forward to your next project.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne.

I started my new project, which will be a Airfix M3 Honey. I'll go with that unusual paint scheme used by 5 RTR which is a variation of Caunter scheme. Kit is nice, but will require some AM replacements and some scratch building, so it looks like that it will be an interesting build. I'll have to skip posting it in WiP this time unfortunately though :(

Cheers,

Nenad

On 3/31/2021 at 1:23 PM, supersonic said:

Superb!

12 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Both look really good with nice weathering and good photography too!

10 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

It looks great, building and paintwork.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Nenad