Blenheim Question

Adam Poultney

So I'm building an Airfix Bristol Blenheim MkI in 1/72, the painting instructions show some panels on the canopy plated/painted over. I know Mk.Ifs had some plated or painted over, so it's not unreasonable to assume that some Mk.Is may have had them plated over as well. However, the Eduard masking set provides masks for all canopy panels, and the box art shows no painted over panels (hardly a definitive source though). Can anyone more knowledge on the Blenheim advise what is correct?

I'm undecided as to whether I will paint the Romanian or RAF scheme, but am at the point in the build where I need to decide. Both have the same painted over panels according to the painting instructions which I've circled in red on the Romanian scheme.

6cfb32ce425485c1053f7bae4072017e.jpg

8633cbbdbf4bbc316a1c9d65d4f99eb8.jpg

I've just been through the same quest, but in 1/48. Adam, if you're talking about the front panels on the port side, there was a bolt-on armor plate that was often used to give the pilot a bit more protection. I've come to the conclusion that the plate was more likely to be present than absent on both Mk. I's and Mk. IF's. When there, the plate covers the second panel down (not counting the long rounded panels on the top) and partially protrudes over the top one so its bottom edge is a curved U shape.

I'm not acquainted with the Airfix 1/72 kit, but they goofed with the 1/48th kit by frosting the bottom-most panel on the port side. It was actually clear.

This may help you. A Blenheim Mk1 in Sudan in September 1940, which I understand was probably from 45 Squadron RAF.

The painted name 'Rita' suggests it was likely A flight, but the exact provenance of this aircraft on that day is difficult to confirm without the serial number.

49945347522_ab66c88d29_o.jpg

neg002 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

There are a couple of other shots from my dad's collection in the Flickr folder, all showing a visit by Haile Selassie to the squadron base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sandeha Lynch said:

all showing a visit by Haile Selassie to the squadron base

I was about to say 'that fella on the right looks familiar...'

• Like 1

He always had good reason to look serious but he is also alleged to have had a sense of humour.

The story went round that he sent Churchill a cable after they had finally beaten the Italians, "We have finished the job.  What shall we do with the tools?"  

A tip of the hat to those who understand the reference!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

I was about to say 'that fella on the right looks familiar...'

Looks like an emaciated  Ringo Starr! ("Clean ol' man, ain't he?")

Mike

BTW- looks like this one has been fitted with the tropical air intakes- very good view.

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1