Snargasher - Finished

Now I think that I'm back in Specsavers! Is that a D or an O at the end? Let me ask my guide dog for a second opinion!

With the 'boot's on the undercarriage it looks like the one that's in Aeroplane magazine though.  I'm not usually a fan of booties, but without them the u/c does look spindly.

Nice work though

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, matford said:

plus these might be handy

Thanks for those!

I've seen the IWM ones thanks, but the cutaway and the photo of the canopy are particularly useful. The plan would be brilliant but I've started with the Aeromodeller plan and so I have to stick with it - on a brief viewing, I think  both plans probably have their own separate issues, and I've gone with the photos in a couple of places. The photo shows that the canopy actually can have both front and back sections open at the same time, and the cutaway shows that the front wing spar is quite narrow - I made mine much deeper front to back to give me some structural strength, so there's not much legroom in the back, and I'm not sure I would try to alter it now that it's all joined up. The canopy photos still seem to show the second seat at about the same place that I've put one (It can't really be much further forward because of all the folding canopy action, and it is consistent with the visible heads in the IWM photos), so that third place must have been extremely cramped! And there are no signs of instrument panel for the second seat in the photo. I will be chopping up a canopy and seeing what it looks like open, I think.

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

g-aeoo

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Is that a D or an O at the end?

The Aeromodeller article actually commented on how similar the "O"s and "D"s are on this aeroplane! I will keep having to remind myself when I do the registration...

4 hours ago, malpaso said:

older modelling techniques

...matching the builder. I'm feeling a bit guilty that no dope or talc was harmed making the wings. I will be going for the camo because I love the trainer scheme (once I've finished all the yellow coats!) and - ahem - I'm not sure my home-made surfaces would be up for a shiny one-colour finish with lots of white cheat lines!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

As a fellow ancient mariner modeller I am truly disappointed that no talcum powder and dope was harmed in this model. Be ashamed of yourself sir!!

The only reason I will not be using the stuff on my build is because I do not have wood parts - but if I build an Oertz then things will be different....

P

• Haha 1

Today’s progress so far:

6368-D0-BF-1569-4779-ADF8-E24-BD63507-D0

The hinges for the dropped flaps and ailerons are now in. The drawing shows fairings in front of the hinges. The only available photo I have shows a barely-discernible ripple on the wing surface. So I have marked the fairings with furnace tape rather than the obliquely-chopped 30 thou rod (also in pic) that I was initially going to use. By the time that’s had my customary umpteen coats of brushed dark earth it should look about right.

And the wings are now on:

EB9568-A2-173-F-4845-AEE0-C0-C2-C92634-A

You will note a section of mangled brass tubing with fragments of balsa attached. My handy wing joining mechanism gummed up prematurely on the superglue so drastic measures were taken.⚒️⛏️

A bit lairy at the time, but everything is now on and straight.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Really shaping up now

Thanks Ced! I now have all the airframe (apart from the fins) together:

5-CEDCAA7-A5-C2-495-D-BCE3-7050-D81657-D

AB924-EB5-F37-D-46-BC-8-E73-936-A27581-B

I had sanded down some 20 thou strip to a tapered cross section and it is now hanging behind and slightly below the main wing to provide flaps and ailerons. Anglo Saxon was used. And I’m not going to guarantee there won’t be breakages because it’s very fragile and I’ve got big hands. So all in all this has been the hardest bit so far. After all that, I’m quite looking forward to a few relaxing coats of Hu24 trainer yellow!

• Like 13

9 hours ago, spaddad said:

Yet

Well I won’t be holding my breath for an Airfix 1/24 announcement...

Meanwhile, a bit of cheating?

I’ve made Oyumaru moulds of the back of a Spitfire wheel and filled them up with Two-part filler:

CC08-FFC1-98-E7-4383-B69-B-3-F7733-BB59-

Hmmm, not quite ready to become a professional resin caster:

870-A7-EC6-37-C2-4770-8735-C4-F339-B5-B4

I’ll give them another go in P38 with a bit more care, and if that doesn’t work it will be Milliput on a sunny windowsill.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, matford said:

Scanned an Air-Britian article for you.

Gosh, thanks! Another couple of photos in there that I haven't seen before. I'm committed to doing the camouflage scheme to go with my trainers collection but the civil scheme does look very attractive.

My Milliput wheels turned out much better than the car filler ones, so I sanded them down and stuck them together. These are the bad sides - the red dots are a reminder to put that part of the wheel inside at the top so that the flaws can hide behind the wheel fork:

FAFCFD09-BE00-478-C-98-D5-1-A7-AA9812-D7

• Like 11

To do wheels from putty is heroic work, I am admiring. your courage...the tide wheels are like shoes on woman leg - make the look :)

Edited by JWM

I haven’t forgotten about this. It’s very busy at work so I’m only got the weekend, and I’ve been press-ganged into gardening too!

Anyhow, cockpit and landing light on, masking done and topsides painting under way:

1-C8-D0-F06-36-DD-4829-B035-BC160-EEE8-F

• Like 12

5 hours ago, pheonix said:

but not one that I have seen before!

Thanks P! I needed a bit of a booster with this one and doing the camo was exactly what I needed. I do like the brown/green/yellow trainer scheme. It gave me the momentum to get the props done, which I’ve been dreading!

My previous rarest bird was a US Coastguard PB4Y-2 Privateer for a mate whose Dad was crew in one, but I’d never even heard of this one until a few months ago.

• Like 1

Looking stunning Adrian :) 

I'm really enjoying this - lots of techniques and tools on show - what's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1