Snargasher - Finished

Well here it is:

mid_CH_002365_1.jpg?action=e&cat=Photogr

THE SNARGASHER TRAINER. © IWM (CH 2365) IWM Non Commercial License

Nope, I’d never heard of it either until some random browsing brought it to my attention the other day. It was a three seat multi-engine conversion trainer, built by Reid and Sigrist, an established instrument and camera firm. It was never taken up for production, although three or four more evolutionary prototypes were built, the last one surviving today in storage in Leicestershire.

There are no kits of this, so I won’t be embarrassed (although in a world where I have bought and built a Fly Rotachute kit, nothing is certain).

Oh, wait, someone just found me a kit:

B57-BF61-F-713-C-4-A2-B-B28-A-91-BAB19-F

I am going to send off a stern letter to complain to the manufacturer - there’s no PE for the instrument panel! Oh well, better get started.

• Like 18
  • Haha 9

On 27/03/2021 at 19:19, Paul821 said:

Spruce

Close but no cigar! Balsa. Keeping it light because the bin is a long way away and I don’t want to strain my throwing arm...

[edit: I think I may have missed a pun there - sorry Paul!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Is that a Spruce shot I see there?

This will be an interesting build to follow

Anyone who thinks I'm going to modify the supreme spreadsheet... it's going as a sprue shot on that. But the name of Snargasher is the best yet, full marks for that alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted a former to show the plan fuselage outline and something to mark out where the cockpit should be:

8-CA0-AED9-6166-41-F6-A478-9-E36-B358-B3

I’ve now stuck everything together, given it all a light sand to level things off and outlined the edges with a Sharpie:

CBFE51-B9-5-BAF-42-A4-8906-9-B9739-C636-

2-C9-B1510-2432-4051-95-D9-A4-FD354-FBE4

Time for a cuppa while that all sets up before I slap on the filler (outside because it smells and it’s not raining). The Sharpie marking is there for two reasons: the black outline starts to show through the filler when you are getting close to an edge when sanding it down; and when it goes white, it’s time to stop sanding!

The Aeromodeller plans that I’m using don’t quite agree between the profile and the plan but it hasn’t been too bad. This is pretty much the norm for plans from that era.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

What an awful name for what it actually quite an attractive-looking aircraft

If you search for this aircraft on the internet and entry comes up in the pprune forum that suggests the name was in in-joke from the factory where it was produced and as it never got an official name it stuck.

It;'s proving to be an interesting build, will continue watching with interest.

As to the looks at first I thought it was a Bristol Brigand with inline engines!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

What an awful name for what it actually quite an attractive-looking aircraft :) 

You're off to a good start I see Adrian :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Oh, I think it's a brilliant name; if Dennis the Menace had been a pilot rather than Biggles, Dennis would certainly have flown a Snargasher🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Snargasher sounds like something Calvin as Space Man Spiff ( of Calvin and Hobbes ) would fly on his intergalactic space missions where he would meet the likes of the bat-webbed booger being.

Good start on an interesting aeroplane.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

attractive-looking aircraft

It is cute in a small pug sort of way, I admit.

30 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Dennis would certainly have flown a Snargasher

Well if WIFs are allowed, a red and black striped one would be tempting...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

never got an official name

You should always have an official name and a project mug. In the US, prior to the 1980s, it was widely believed that a defence project with its own mug never got cancelled.

My (unofficial) mug from a project back then was adapted from a Viz comic frame - so much better than block colours, swooshes and boring font choices of the official mug:

2-A594-E23-37-A4-49-F1-B768-BF716-CC38-A

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

So I split the fuselage in half and made some wings:

C3-F1-D37-D-40-DF-4-AF4-9-B49-BAA808244-

The pinker patch on the fuselage is where I filled a slightly sunken area. The fuselage is pretty much dead on and a teeny bit small all around, so I can do some plunge moulding next, with 20 thou card:
D7-D8-B03-B-B06-E-4017-A82-D-17755-C3-D8

The wings were cut out carefully, edges marked with a sharpie, strengthened with superglue and sanded down to crisp and sharp leading and trailing edges. The wing blanks were then tapered down with a sharpie patch at the wing root to act as a “tell” to stop me sanding too far.

Fabulous.

Unfortunately, the maker of this kit failed to trace over the distinct kink near the wingtip, so my decision to use balsa for these is paying off already:

341-D0-AAD-B01-E-4-E68-9-D7-C-2-EA4-E952

New wings tomorrow. I thought they were looking a bit narrow. At least I’ve practised the method now.

• Like 11

Waste not, want not. I tried out my wing preparation for painting, and it seems to work, here with a coat of Revell Acrylic Grey:

384-D5-BA0-3745-4267-AB1-E-B63675-F27-F4

I’m using superglue with baby powder, so it’s a nod back to dope’n’talc. I asked Mrs MF to get me some, and only just now did I realise why she was asking me if I was sore!

Note the perfect fit to the shape as traced:doh:

Time to go clean superglue and baby powder off now. My phone is refusing to work with my index finger. At least I haven’t glued it to the screen...

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Marvellous work so far. As you’re probably aware I have shamelessly copied your method for my Oertz.

I do love the name and seeing as I built a Sopwith Snark last year mostly for the name and intend to build a Sablatning for pretty much the same reason I think one of these will be going on the list :) 

50348019991_12e0e658ca_c.jpgMy Snark.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Marvellous work so far. As you’re probably aware I have shamelessly copied your method for my Oertz.

I do love the name and seeing as I built a Sopwith Snark last year mostly for the name and intend to build a Sablatning for pretty much the same reason I think one of these will be going on the list :) 

50348019991_12e0e658ca_c.jpgMy Snark.

Did you build it for the name or because it has a lot of wings 😂

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Did you build it for the name or because it has a lot of wings 😂

Probably both. I started on triplanes ( I now have three with a few more in the works, a Fokker DR1 an Osprey and a Sablatning W4) then Quadruplanes ( I have two with another on the way and a fourth planned) and I do plan to build a Fokker V8 sooner rather than later (quinquplane ?)

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1