Snargasher - Finished

Sanded down, sealed with superglue and sanded down again.I’ve had to repair a little bit of leading edge with filler but I’m pretty chuffed:

6-D9-C24-A0-70-C0-4232-9929-54373517-D5-

I've put some strips of masking tape on temporarily to check my aerofoil profile over the whole wing. I’m happy with that too:

B80-F9981-9-D47-4870-8-D0-A-0-C002-FBCAD

There are some dings in the original flat balsa surface underneath but I will deal with them later when I’ve added the nacelles (which will doubtless lead to more dings). 

• Like 10

I wanted to get the wings and fuselage together before starting on the nacelles so I can get everything pointing in the right directions. So I got my big Empire vac form box out and covered most of it with paper to give me a small working area. I used a piece of cardboard for my plastic frame and drawing pins to hold the plastic on. Crude but it works:

41813521-1-B9-D-4155-A76-E-6029-E92265-B

I moulded in 20thou and, appropriately enough for Easter, the halves are eggshell-like:

A5-E51856-8363-4030-8183-DB8-F01302407.j

The shape is a good fit over the drawing but I will have to add a bit to the tail to get the point back:

E75-D304-C-29-AA-400-E-A68-F-CF332877304

• Like 17

Wow. And I thought you were going to paint the bucks and leave it there!

You could flog these you know.... :) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow. And I thought you were going to paint the bucks and leave it there!

That was my thought too; should have known better :D 

Very nice work Adrian 👍

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, AdrianMF said:

the black outline starts to show through the filler when you are getting close to an edge when sanding it down; and when it goes white, it’s time to stop sanding!

What a brilliantly simple idea...why didn't I think of that? Hmm...

I do like unusual British prototypes, especially those with odd (and, in this case, apparently made-up) names!

This is coming on a treat, Adrian. I'm unable to do any modelling at the moment, otherwise I would definitely have entered this GB, so I'm keeping in touch with the hobby via BM. Ive just found this thread so I'll keep a close eye on your progress, if I may, and no doubt pick up more tips along the way.

Jon

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

paint the bucks and leave it there!

That would be far too easy! Where’s the fun in that?

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

should have known better

So should I! As it turned out, the makeshift cardboard support worked well enough, and I only burned my fingers a bit...

57 minutes ago, Jonners said:

I'm unable to do any modelling at the moment

I hope your modelling mojo returns soon! I will try to keep you vicariously entertained.

So I had a featureless fuselage and a full width wing. Where does one start? I put the pieces in a box with some glue and shook it, but it’s not that sort of kit...

I cut out the cockpit opening and added a couple of bulkheads to the fuselage, then cut two rectangular slots to take the wing. I should have built those into the buck to take some of the trial and error away. I cut the wing centre section away to make tabs to fit the fuselage.

it was all a bit wobbly. I needed to take some degrees of freedom out of the wing/fuselage assembly. In particular I wanted to nail the dihedral and sweep of the wings with a positive spar that I could slide together inside the fuselage.

I built a makeshift dihedral jig and cut up and folded the plan to sit on top of it. I cut two lengths of Albion Alloys tubing to slide over a single longer length. I cut two slots into the wing tabs and pushed the tubing assembly into the slots and lined everything up on the jig. Then I put a blob of superglue over each side, making sure to keep way from the join. 

TL;DR I did this:

FBC4-FA3-A-4033-482-B-B678-E070-D3194115

10mm of dihedral (5+5) and the sweep is bang on:

109-BB3-F8-6-B75-4533-BE54-CB9-C3-FD16-D

And it all fits together:

EC479-BDA-6-ACA-4-B5-A-8-B11-9-B2615-E86

Phew! Now to invent a cockpit...

• Like 17

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I hope your modelling mojo returns soon!

Nothing to do with mojo - just circumstance brought about by working a long way ftom home!

This is looking great, and coming along very quickly.

• Sad 1

Well I am struggling with working out what scale I’m in today! Snargasher with 1:1 jigsaw puzzle tray for a friend’s Mum:

C8781-CF4-5-EF2-4-B86-AE8-A-DC81-DEE6-EA

Close up of the canopy blank, edges outlined and ready for some goop:

5-C398-C3-C-E42-F-4-FA4-A200-BA7-A0-D9-C

• Like 8

Car filler sets fast in the sunshine! It also fills up booboos in mitred tray corners... anyhow, ready for more vacforming:

5-EDDE7-EC-9-F45-4-AC7-A3-C3-51-BE7-EDF1

[edit] It strikes me that the Snargasher had quite a serious design flaw if the Aeromodeller plans are to be believed. The front canopy slides back under the middle canopy (as seen in photos), then the rear canopy opens by pivoting upwards at the front (like the Seafox), sweeping an arc under the middle canopy. Looks like two canopies trying to occupy the same space to me. None of the civil livery photos show the rear canopy open, and all the service livery pictures show the rear canopy removed. Hmmm.

And I still have no idea about a cockpit layout. Three-seater with pilot, radio op and gunner. Wondering about a Swordfish-style coaming for the back two. I know a photo will turn up as soon as I cut plastic...

• Like 13

Well car body filler is great in so many ways, but Milliput is great for modelling:

C609-DB3-D-9453-47-DC-834-D-6-F410-E91-C
I've managed to get the step behind the cowling and nacelle (it’s better than it looks here!) and I’m hoping it will all sand down without needing too much touching up.

Hmm... cockpit or tail while that sets?

• Like 14

Fins and rudders done:

96809001-3-BFD-4-AC0-82-B3-E8-F1-A1-EEBF

...and a mounting slot cut:

F56-D97-B8-593-B-43-E8-A986-7-CF0879595-

Although the leftover scrap of Milliput has hardened, the nacelles still slightly show thumb marks, so I am leaving them in the sun this afternoon before I start sanding.

• Like 16

I’ve done a cockpit, so now you can all send me links to the online copy of “The Snargasher Haynes Manual” to show me what it really looked like:

D3-FE1040-AE4-D-4-F44-9162-4-F200-EE8-D0

I’ve gone for a two-seat configuration, which agrees with photos that seem to show the head of someone in the back seat.

The middle portion of the cockpit would have been unusable because of the sliding and pivoting canopies. I tried three seats in the remaining space, even with a Blenheim-style tip-up seat, but I couldn’t get anything that convinced me. 

I further surmise that it was never equipped with a gun or radio because it remained civil registered. 

So, it’s time for some paint!

• Like 20

38 minutes ago, GrahamCC said:

simple and efficient

Thanks, I wouldn’t want to see what hard and disorganised looks like! 

Anyhow, two nacelles down and time for a little treat before cooking starts:

A8-CC839-A-F0-D8-4-FA6-8-D10-209-EDB4-E4

As is always the way, there’s still a surprising amount to do, but it feels like it’s reached the “fix up a FROG model” sort of stage so it’s a lot less scary now.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Quick session before work this morning. The cockpit finally gets paint:

39-B661-F5-045-F-4-DE2-AE04-D47-ACF9-FFC

And I’ve added some tabs to support the fuselage join, made from curved offcuts from the curved cockpit opening so that they conform to the fuselage cross section.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

amazing

I was truly amazed just now. I didn’t fancy gathering together the domestic vacuum cleaner and paint stripper gun at 21:30, so I tried a quick plunge mould. It worked:

27-BB1-B2-C-A004-47-F1-9-B41-8-AAB3-A6-A

Zooming out from the scene of the crime, you can see that this was strictly a one off!

851242-FC-F8-D0-4546-9516-D1420114-A101.

It’s not quite a good’un (a bit of rippling) but it was closer than I had any right to expect. Proper moulding tomorrow evening...

• Like 17