Questions about Sea Harrier FRS1 "Operation Corporate".

DrumBum

Greetings all.

I have recently become inspired to build my first diorama, having recently returned to the hobby after several years away.

Last month I spent several hours driving solo on a photo trip through central California listening to various Youtube interviews with Nigel "Sharkey" Ward and David "Mog" Morgan. Very interesting listening about a war I knew very little about.

Fast forward several weeks and I have finally tracked down a Kinetic FRS1 and a Kinetic "Dagger" will be arriving soon.

My plan is to represent the Sea Harrier flown by Ward and the Dagger he engaged on 21 May, 1982.

So far it appears there are not too many photos available online of the FRS1 during the war and already I am running into problems researching the cockpit layout of the SHAR.

The kit gives 2 options for the instrumnet panel, one with 2 display screens and one with one screen to the right hand side of the panel. 

However research has shown that the FRS1 originally had no display screens and then in later years appears to have had a cockpit upgrade to include a single screen.

Can anybody shed some light on when this may have occured and did the SHAR have the screen during Operation Corporate?

Regards and thanks in advance.

If I have understood your question correctly you will need the version of the instrument panel with one screen for a Falklands/Operation Corporate era Sea Harrier FRS Mk.1: the version with two screens is for Kinetic's F/A Mk.2 version of the Sea Harrier which shares a number of common sprues with Mk.1 version of the kit.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I've got some good pictures of frs1 cockpits I'll post them up. There's a single radar screen on the right hand side. The cockpit is the old fashioned one with dials rather than the modern 2 screen MFD type found in the FA/2. Interestingly there was a new screen added to one of the frs 1s that was in the Falklands as it was testing the 'Sea Eagle' Air to ship missile, although this wasn't in service during CORPORATE. 

Drop me a PM with your direct email in it and I'll send several things over to help you out with your build of ZA175/004 as flown by Sharkey Ward on that occasion.

Cheers

Nick