SS United States- completed?

Well making a start on this just for something different to do and because there is a very nice gentleman on this site @stevej60 who very kindly gave me some kits he was wanting to clear out from his stash

He would not take anything for them even though I tried so I will be making a donation to the Northumberland and Borders Childhood Poverty charity to help out the underprivileged children in his name.

Wanted a simple OOB build to do while waiting for some bits to arrive for another project and had been liking what I had saw that @ChrisSC has been building lately on here

First will have to fix the bow as it looks as though it has a mould fault and the anchor position should be square not rounded I did say OOB.  :hmmm:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Edited by beefy66
Info added
  • Like 17

Excellent choice Beefy. When I was a kid I saw her very often in Le Havre in the 1960s, it is not a particularly beautiful ship, but very mysterious, its power has long been kept secret, it was an almost military class ship.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

He would not take anything for them even though I tried so I will be making a donation to the Northumberland and Borders Childhood Poverty charity to help out the underprivileged children in his name.

👍 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Excellent choice Beefy. When I was a kid I saw her very often in Le Havre in the 1960s, it is not a particularly beautiful ship, but very mysterious, its power has long been kept secret, it was an almost military class ship.

Pascal I have been doing some reading up on her very strange that she has not been made into a floating hotel like some of the other very fine older liners such a sorry looking thing she is now.

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Well..... that is a change :o

Rob

Need a change for something different as a bit of light relief supposed to be a quick build but having started adding bits this may take a while I am sure you have heard of the saying fits where it touches well this kit falls well and truly into that category

Just hope I have enough filler to last me until the local shop opens I might need extra tubes.  :facepalm:

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

I don't do liners but let's see what you can do :popcorn:

Well I will as always try to do my best and entertain along the way.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

Well this is taking some work with a lot of filler and sanding down and then drilling out all the portholes.  :facepalm:

spacer.png

spacer.png

lots of plastic and dust getting made but not much of the model

spacer.png

And the there is a step which is supposed to be the waterline about 0.5 mm that will need removed.

spacer.png

Well it will keep me busy over the weekend.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

Well this thing is giving me some issues with fit it just does not but slowly beating it into submission. 🔨

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

"He's got 2 builds on the go ....he's got 2 builds on the go - look everyone ..........."

If you could see the top shelf it is a bit more than 2 Rob but who counts them anyway.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

On 27/03/2021 at 20:15, Iceman 29 said:

As I understood it she was part designed by the US Navy for her alternate troopship role and her speed was optimised so that she could outrun any known or predicted submarine threat.  Her designer was well known for warship designs during WW2.

• Like 5

Fast work, beefy! Very neat paintjob, you'd never know there were any issues with it.

Pretty impressive ship... I've seen it many times on the way to Philadelphia airport, looking shabbier each time 😔 whatever the looks of the thing it was the peak of steam generation engineering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gent's thanks for the kind words and likes it is appreciated.

Well build completed so sticking down on a simple base hope to have it all done by Friday need to get other stuff done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

Cheers Pascal and all others for the likes.

Making waves dried out so cotton wool added with the Vallejo still water should be dry tomorrow to pick out some highlights with a bit of dry brushing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7