P-51 D-5 wheel well colours....

TempestV

I know, I know etc etc etzzzzzzzzzz...

I've been googling this for the past couple of hours and it throws up more questions than it answers. 

I'm planning to build Frenesi using the Revell 1/32 kit, and am considering painting the spar YZC and leaving the rest of the wheel-well in natural metal. Does that sound ok or does anyone have a better suggestion for an early D operational in mid-44?

cheers,

Chris

:worms: Here we go! That's one possibility, and for an early D, that's probably the one I would go with. There is documentation for the following possibilities. (Off the top of my head- it's been a while since I  researched this. You can also find discussions and photos on this subject here on BM, so if you haven't looked for them, you might want to.)

Main spar YZC;  remainder of the wheel bay  in bare aluminum

Main spar YZC; the stringers and stiffeners in YZC; the remainder (the sheet metal) in bare aluminum

Main spar YZC;  one side of  the wheel bay in bare aluminum, the other side has the  stiffeners/stringers in YZC.

Main spar YZC; the remainder of the wheel bay also in YZC (this for very late production)

Good discussion with information provided by Dana Bell. Worth a look.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/p-51-wheel-well-color-question-t188803.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For the D-5 I would go with Mike's suggestion no. 2 - YZC main spar and stringers, NM for the flat areas. The connection spar/area between wheel well and fuselage = the fuselage side of the wheel well was green ZC on some planes, YZC on others.

• Thanks 1