1/72 - Heinkel He-111H-2/-3 by Hobby 2000 (plastic Hasegawa) - released - new He-111D & P boxings in 2024

Homebee

Hobby 2000 from Poland is to re-box the Hasegawa 1/72nd Heinkel He.111

- ref. 72048 - Heinkel He.111H-2/H-3 - Western Front 1940

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/H2K72048

H2K72048.jpg

He-1.jpg

- ref. 72049 - Heinkel He.111H-3 - Eastern Front 1941

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/H2K72049

H2K72049.jpg

He-2.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Anyone about to comment on how good the Hasegawa kit is? 

Haven't built it, only seen it in the box. Looked nice, but I felt the panel lines would have been enough to make Matchbox blush.

• Like 2

Airfix is far better kit, from surface detail( cannot believe I am saying this, but true) to internal ones, far superior, unlike almost all other Hasegawa kits, He 111 has trench like panneling, on the contrary, one of the best or constrained surface detail on Airfix kits is in He 111 boxings. Again interior detail is better in Airfix.

Edited by Thomas V.

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Anyone about to comment on how good the Hasegawa kit is? 

Basically it is the same plastic as the Revell one (Revell reboxed the H-6 by Hasegawa). BTW - I was converting the H-6 into H-3 lat year (ugh... - beecause H3 was not available). I cannot tell that Airfix is better, for me they are of very similar high level, the panel lines are perhaps more delicate in Hase (Revell) kit..... For me it is top standards kit.

Regards

J-W 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Haven't built it, only seen it in the box. Looked nice, but I felt the panel lines would have been enough to make Matchbox blush.

Yeah, not sure what happened there, but I thought they were worse than anything Airfix has done in the past ten years. The one I did didn’t fit too well either.

I've got a couple of the Hasegawa ones. They look good to me.  The panel lines didn't seem that bad and in fact, I felt they were fine.  I was in the middle of adding rivets to the wings but had to store the kit away because of work commitments at that time. Should dig it up again. I remember the test fits didn't show any problems.

3 hours ago, Jackman said:

I've got a couple of the Hasegawa ones. They look good to me.  The panel lines didn't seem that bad and in fact, I felt they were fine.  I was in the middle of adding rivets to the wings but had to store the kit away because of work commitments at that time. Should dig it up again. I remember the test fits didn't show any problems.

Like Jackman, I felt the panel lines were fine. I built the Revell release a few years back and happily picked up another a couple of months ago (though it's a h-6 from memory).

• Like 2

I've the Hasegawa H-2/3 and I have never seen such deep and wide panel lines on any other Hasegawa kit.  However they are no worse than the equivalent Matchbox Heinkel and if anything better.  They certainly mar the appearance of what was a very smooth-skinned aircraft and an otherwise excellent model.  They have put me off starting the kit as filling them, even with Mr. Surfacer, will be a long and tedious process.  (Not that I don't have several hundred other reasons for not starting this particular kit including an Italeri Zwilling and a Matchbox Heinkel bought in order to convert the Zwilling to two bombers and provide spare engines for a JRS.79B - the letter no longer needed given the Azur kit.)

On 3/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

You're correct. I don't personally know enough about Heinkels to tell the difference between an H2/H3 and, an H6 though ! 😉😊

John

Guns.

Lots of guns.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/29/2021 at 3:57 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

You're correct. I don't personally know enough about Heinkels to tell the difference between an H2/H3 and, an H6 though ! 😉😊

John

Visually, it is replacing the VDM metal propeller, on a wooden propeller and an enlarged spinner

http://scalemodels.ru/images/2016/11/1478787117_123.jpg

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_p_1310406.html#1310406

• Like 1

Plus the refined (armoured?) forward gun position in the gondola - possibly the closed rear to the dorsal gun position too.

Having a forward gun position in the gondola at all seems to vary in photographs claiming to be H-3s.  Sources differ.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

John

Besides what was told already about the differences one more  detail: the removing of two MGs firing back in the rear of fuselage (H2/H3 did not have them)

Cheers

J-W

There were never two machine guns in the rear fuselage, there was only one upper one. What did at the bottom of the fuselage tail on the Hasegawa model was a hook for gliders. The machine gun in the rear fuselage as an option was installed from the end of 1940, and could stand on all early modifications. See photos He111H-3 Wnr.3349 A1+CM 4./KG53 which made a belly landing 18 February 1941 Ovington, near Watton, Norfolk.

Not wider but crisper.  However,  although you can find Italeri kits in Tamiya and Revell boxes I don't think that you can find Matchbox in Hasegawa!  I don't have the Airfix, but do have the Hasegawa and can't imagine Airfix is vastly better in any respect other than panel lines: and Airfix do not have a clear record on those!  I don't doubt it's good to very good, however.

• Like 1

Airfix is vastly better, cannot understand all the conversation, if one does not have a kit, Google and Youtube can give you good comparision, yes its anomaly but in this case

Airfix is vastly ( inside and out) better kit, and more accurate as well, Hasegawa giving more or less generic interior, Airfix providing all the small differencies.

Only up for Hasegawa being better quality plastic.

I don't care too much about the inside, feeling that with all the framing very little will be visible anyway.  (And no-one is going to look except me - but that argument can also be used against getting the shape right and that I do care about.)   I do not share any desire for details that cannot be seen once the kit is finished, which can only drive up the time taken to make it, after already extending the time taken to research and design the kit, and thus drive up the price.  Plus the Hasegawa kit has the correct lines and appearance, plus the correct pieces for the variant I want to make.  From long experience of both companies, and particular reference to some recent Airfix subjects, I expect the Hasegawa to fit better and the kit to assemble more easily.  Yes, the panel lines need filling which is extra work but Hello!  Airfix Spitfire, Hurricane, Vampire...

After experiencing the Roden Heinkel, and the Airfix Blenheim (in particular), after accuracy I'm all in favour of fit and ease of assembly.  Throw in getting the exact variant I want.

To be absolutely fair, at my age and stash size, I simply don't need another Heinkel to make.  Otherwise I might be tempted by the Airfix, if the right version came along.

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Heinkel He-111H-2/-3 by Hobby 2000 (plastic Hasegawa) - box art+schemes - release in 2021
  • 2 years later...

Three new boxes with the Hasegawa plastic.

72075 - Heinkel He 111D

• Heinkel He 111D, WNr.2447, 42+A00, Stab./KG 254 [Stab./KG 54], Fritzlar, Germany 1939
  • Heinkel He 111D, WNr.2447, B3+FA, Stab./KG 54, Ohlau, Germany, 15 August 1941

72076 - Heinkel He 111P Outbreak of War 1939

• Heinkel He 111P, WNr.2133, G1+CC, Stab II./KG 55, Germany, Autumn 1939
  • Heinkel He 111P, WNr.1417, 1G+FN, 5./KG 27, Seerappen, East Prussia, September 1939

72077 - Heinkel He 111P Western Campaign 1940

• Heinkel He 111P, WNr.2497, B3+BL, 3./KG 54, Epinoy, France, 19 May 1940
  • Heinkel He 111P, 1G+BL, 3./KG 27, Münster-Handorf, Germany, 10 May 1940

72075.jpg
72076.jpg
72077.jpg

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
Markings options added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Heinkel He-111H-2/-3 by Hobby 2000 (plastic Hasegawa) - released - new He-111D & P boxings in 2024

That first one cannot be a He 111D. The D still had the stepped nose and the fully elliptical wing. Also, there were very few Ds built, production being cancelled in favour of the improved E variant (which still had the stepped nose).

• Like 3

Contrary to many modern English-language publications on the subject (whose authors likely just repeat after each other...), He 111 D was essentially a 'pathfinder' variant of the He 111 P with enhanced radio equipment, with a total of 30 machines built. Here's an extract from the excellent article on the He 111 production written by Dr. Volker Koos and published in Jet & Prop Issue 2/2010:

7cms7a2.jpeg

If He 111 D was based on the earlier variants, it wouldn't be covered in the same manuals as the P version as an addition ("He 111 P und D") and mention of 2 DB 601 engines.

rBHf0Gm.jpeg

Edited by KFS-miniatures

9 minutes ago, KFS-miniatures said:

The answer to your question what is and what isn't a He 111 D is in my post above, and more specifically in the relevant of portion of Dr. Koos' article.

That doesn’t answer the question because clearly there was a D version with the stepped nose and DB600Ga engines produced in 1937 in the amount of about 20 airframes. 

• Like 1