SAAF Junkers Ju.52 +++Finished+++

CliffB

Hi all.  Here's the replacement for my failed Safari Rally Ford Focus entry.  It's something pretty simple, because I need to make up for lost time.

This artwork caught my eye on Wings Palette.  It shows what I believe to be one of the South African Airways Ju.52s that were impressed into service during WWII, to provide a ferry transport service between RSA and the North African battlefields.  The paint scheme appears to be Dark Earth/Mid Stone over Azure Blue, but I'm not sure.

Elsewhere, I've found this reference to a SAAF Ju.52 being Dark Green over Azure Blue.  Mind you, this same source says that the SAAF Ju.52s were captured ex. Luftwaffe aircraft (which I don't think is correct, unless there were two fleets of aircraft). 

So I'm puzzled as to what scheme (or schemes), these aircraft carried.  Can anyone help on this please?  Likewise, were the markings 'standard RAF' (as the second source says), or would the red parts be orange?

I shall be using this 1/200 scale Zvezda kit as the canvas.

P1120107.JPG

P1120108.JPG

It should be a simple build, although the starboard side of the kit's fuselage features large cargo doors (which may not be appropriate), and I may also need to add some wheel spats :coolio:

Cheers

• Like 7

A nice subject, Cliff. I know there is a good site on the net covering these machines but my old brain is not remembering at present. I’ll give it some thought .... :)

Martin

There were different engines (cowlings) variants of Ju 52 in SAAF, both imposed from civil pre-war use. 

Here is with 3 blades props and NACA cowlings https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-junkers-ju-52-of-south-african-air-force-89534303.html

1839344939_40-45N.jpg.978e03b97f0a7ed42a

1286846631_Ju52.png.5f52cec9da2c3b9a6cb9

But some had more regular look 

http://www.dws-xip.pl/encyklopedia/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ju52_1.jpg

The other story are he captured one, like that one named "Libyan clipper":

ju52libyan2.jpg

ju52Libyan.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8lutQC1Z6i7jm3B7mk_n

Here one will not need any conversion of plastic parts (what can be treated as pros or cons as well, depending what you like ;) )

Regards

J-W

• Like 6

• CliffB changed the title to SAAF Junkers Ju.52

Thank you @RidgeRunner and @JWM.  The resources you've provided, or directed me to, have been a great help.  As a result, I'm currently heading towards "26" a dark green aircraft which is twice described as being a captured machine.  Only artwork to go on at the moment, but who knows, a photograph may yet turn up!

Cheers

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Cliff 

Although at 1/200 I'm envious of your eyesight  !

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.  Luckily I have a magnifying glass (so that I can more clearly see my hands shaking ;)).

Cheers

• Haha 3

Hi Cliff,

In my ignorance I did not realise that the SAAF flew these planes - I knew they had a few Ju86 and had ordered a version of the Ju 90 with P&W engines, but never received them.

Pete

• Like 1

BTW - the Xtradecals produces decals in 1/72 (not in 1/200) for  "Libyan Clipper", a captured Ju52, however with mistake. They suggest A roundels on fuselage junkers-ju-52-3m-1-72-x72283-xtradecal.j

But on this take (obviously on orthochromatic film) they are A1.ju52Libyan.jpg

It is clear, that yellow ring exists. Moreover, the inscription "Libyan Clipper: seems to be a bit darker then white (light blue? sky? some grey?). The next observation is that bottom side was not repainted and is left in RLM colors with white wingtips and only overpainted  Luftwaffe code letters and crosses. 

For "26" (still in 1/72) decals exists

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/k716previewbg_1.htm

Best regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Cliff,

In my ignorance I did not realise that the SAAF flew these planes - I knew they had a few Ju86 and had ordered a version of the Ju 90 with P&W engines, but never received them.

Pete

and I didn't know about the Ju.90 order Pete!  That would have been impressive had it come to pass.

20 hours ago, JWM said:

BTW - the Xtradecals produces decals in 1/72 (not in 1/200) for  "Libyan Clipper", a captured Ju52

Thanks J-W.   I'm starting to think that 'Libyan Clipper' has been built before on BritModeller - but I may be wrong.

I got a few hours on my Ju-52 yesterday and made some good progress.

P1120109.JPG

P1120110.JPG

There are 11 parts in this so far and they fit together pretty well.  The kit's advertised as being 'snap fit', but fortunately it's not.  The parts only hold themselves together because they are a tight fit, which means that you can take easily take them apart again for fettling.  Mine's now glued together though.

Having previously built a couple of 1/72 Ju.52s, I'm really appreciating the fact that the elevators etc. are moulded integral to wings.  If you've ever built a Ju.52, you'll probably understand what I mean!

Finally, I should mention that I'll be painting over the transparency.  My personal preference in 1/200, is to paint the windows black.  Either way, the framework on this one is going to be tricky ;).

Cheers

• Like 7

A quick update, as the main colours are now on.  Dark Green over Azure Blue (please ignore the colour balance in the photo!).

P1120113.JPG

Cheers

• Like 2

Another update folks.  Detailed painting done (although the photo is showing that I may need to revisit the top of the canopy ;)), and u/c fitted.  

IMG_2040.JPG

Cheers

• Like 5

Thanks @RidgeRunner @Grandboof and @Col. :thumbsup2:

Well, it's finished now and I'm reasonably pleased with it.  Unfortunately though, the orange centres of my homemade roundels do look remarkably red!

P1120119.JPG

I'd love to do another African build, but I must stick to a strict timetable if I'm going to support all the GBs this year.  I'm broadly on course at the moment :winkgrin:.

Thanks to all of you that have supported this build and to the hosts for making it happen.

Cheers

• Like 4

• CliffB changed the title to SAAF Junkers Ju.52 +++Finished+++