Painting vinyl or rubber kit tyres?

GMK

Hello all,

looking for tips/advice on whether kit rubber or vinyl tyres can or should be painted or coated to preserve them? If yes, what paints can be used?

thanks. 

I don't paint rubber tyres.  The only "treatment" they receive is a coat of gloss acrylic varnish prior to application of sidewall decals, followed by a satin, or matt, coat once the decals are fully dry.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Depends. I usually paint them “Tire Black” front Gunze or some other tire-colour. Yesterday I painted the tires for my current motorcycle kit in Tire Black, then applied a satin gloss and drybrushed Ammo MIG Earth for that dirt road effect. I think it came out rather nicely!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have a nice weekend!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

I don't paint rubber tyres.  The only "treatment" they receive is a coat of gloss acrylic varnish prior to application of sidewall decals, followed by a satin, or matt, coat once the decals are fully dry.

Trevor

I do the same as Trevor. What I do though, is if I'm not changing the wheel colour from what comes in the kit, I coat the meeting surfaces of the wheel where the tyre fits with clear acrylic varnish, as I have in the past have tyres degrade with a reaction between kit plastic and tyre rubber, so I basically always try and ensure there's no bare plastic in contact with the tyre. I also separate rubber tyres from the rest of the sprues in any new kit and put them in a separate sealed bag until needed.

Keith

I've never had a problem with vinyl tyres degrading.   I have had rubber tyres perish and break up, especially Revell truck tyres, but whether a coat of matt clear would have prevented that (or even adhered) I don't know.  Either way, I tend not to paint tyres other than using weathering pigments.