Harrier Gr.3 question

Pullin Gs

I'm working on the Airfix 1/72 Gr.3 for my Falkland project (XZ988). My question is this. Did the Gr.3 have the two vents between the cockpit and the wing? The instructions in step 12 shows them to be removed and from what I can find on the net, it's not conclusive. And I'm not sure if XZ988 had them or not. Didn't want to hack them off before verifying. You know the saying, "measure twice before cutting". Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the two rectangular vents, one that has a meshed opening, that are located on the engine covers for cooling the electronics, or the two intakes on either side of the rear of the canopy used for the  cockpit air conditioning system? See the 1st link to a closeup photo of GR3 XZ989, one number away from your modeling subject.  The 2nd link is a review of the 1/48 GR3 kit with an accompanying list of details related to making an accurate model of the GR3. At some point, and I don't know at which serial or time period, the two vents atop the engine cover were deleted. Does this help? I'm sure one of the BM'ers who has more knowledge to answer your query will be along shortly. If XZ988 is the one that was shot down, this will make a wonderful tribute model! The GR3 is my favorite Harrier variant, so I say go for it! 👍

Mike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34057640@N07/12721312575

http://www.hyperscale.com/2020/reviews/kits/kinetick48060reviewbg_1.htm

The two vents (scoops really) are just in front of the rectangular opening and facing aft. The Kinetic kit has two different wings and neither have this configuration. The instructions call for removal and with the awesome picture of XZ989 I think I'm going to remove them. Yes! XZ988 was Bob Iveson's bird that was shot down near Goose Green on May27, 1982. I'm going to show it (him) flying over a ridge line on his way to bomb and strafe GG. 

Kerry

BTW- I spent a lot of time on Fort Sam!

• Like 1

G'day Kerry,

The two vents on top of the engine access panels mentioned in the instructions should be removed as these were a feature of the earlier Harrier GR.1, and these were deleted on the GR.3.

Since the Falklands War RAF Harriers were GR.3s they did no longer had these vents,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy,

I was leaning that way with the info at hand. And as is usually the case with me, someone would point it out like the proverbial appendage growing from one's forehead if I were to leave them on. Off they come then! 

I have another question for the SME’s. The Airfix Gr.3 I am building has me puzzled, the speed brake shows two position options, neither of which is in fully stowed position in flight. The brake does not fit flush with the aircraft. Did the brake overlap somewhat or did it retract fully flush? Not sure why it doesn’t fit but I don’t want to modify until I get a solid answer. Thanks again Gents/ladies.

The bottom (rear) edge did overlap the airframe when closed. There was a mod issued to slice off some 'excess' door, I think to avoid striking the the ground on landing, or to avoid strikes by stones etc. Hopefully someone on here will tell us when, and by how much. 

Thanks Oss!

I could see in different pictures on the internet that some look to overlap while others did not. Your explanation sounds dead on. I am doing XZ988 from the Falkland’s war and wonder if this particular airframe may have had the overlap? The Airfix kit can be done as an earlier Gr.3 or Gr.1 I believe so this may be why the kit part overlaps. 

GR3 XZ988 red 34 had the full length airbrake at the time of the Falklands War. It also had the twin ALE40 flare dispensers fitted in the panel behind the airbrake; I believe these are included in the Airfix kit (I make 1/48th or larger myself, so cannot be sure).

For its deployment to the Falklands, notable additions "on the surface" are the I-Band Transponder fitted in the bulged fairing with aerial under the laser-nose and tie down rings added to the outriggers. It also had a small vent ahead of the GTS/APU intake (the mesh covered rectangle on the starboard side engine covers) to help cool the electrical system. The two larger vents you mention earlier were fitted to the GR1/GR1As to vent their different electrical system, upgraded when the GR3 came along.

Drop me a PM with your direct email in it and I'll send you some things to help you.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

BIG THANKS Nick!

I would not have known XZ988 had the older style airbrake! The "on the surface" details are also a great help. Some of these details are present though I will need to look for some of them (or your help will certainly help). Not trying to be perfect but would like to be as close to the bullseye as my limited skill can get. Putting paint to the dangly things today.

Kerry