Airfix B-17 G 1/72

11 minutes ago, George72 said:

Thank you! That's good, hope they fix it. As  matter of fact, I tried to minimize and glued the cone halves to each of the fuselages halves before put it all together. It worked in a way, leaving me with some manageable gap instead a larger step. But still a headache to make it all flushed.

Sadly, because of the very good fit I had experienced up to that point, I glued the turret halves together before checking and ended up with a step that was around 1mm on the underside. I had to get replacement parts from Airfix. These parts were a better fit, but I’ll still need to add a wedge on the underside to get a decent fit.

I started a thread about these parts earlier in the year.

Anyway, you did a good job with the turret parts. I would never have known by looking!

12 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Sadly, because of the very good fit I had experienced up to that point, I glued the turret halves together before checking and ended up with a step that was around 1mm on the underside. I had to get replacement parts from Airfix. These parts were a better fit, but I’ll still need to add a wedge on the underside to get a decent fit.

I started a thread about these parts earlier in the year.

Anyway, you did a good job with the turret parts. I would never have known by looking!

I see, I got lucky because I usually follow the instructions and would have the full step, but this time I could notice the problem and could prevent most of it. As I said, hope they fix it soon.

Cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I believe that's the finest looking B-17 I've seen on this web site.

Well, thank you!! That will be an exaggeration, but sounded good!!🤩

10 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Yes i totally agree 👍

Thank you very much!!

That is very nicely done and not over weathered as some of these didn't get chance to get to dirty unfortunately.

Good tip on the transparencies ,I'm waiting for the Airfix re release for one of these 

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

That is very nicely done and not over weathered as some of these didn't get chance to get to dirty unfortunately.

Good tip on the transparencies ,I'm waiting for the Airfix re release for one of these 

Thank you!

By far, the best natural metal B-17 I have seen in any scale for a long time! Exhaust and oil streaks very realistic, and she looks like a well-worn  high-time late production Fort. You have every right to be proud of this model. Sorry to hear about the tail turret issues on this kit- I am almost afraid to check mine, as it is still in the bag...fingers crossed!

Mike 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

By far, the best natural metal B-17 I have seen in any scale for a long time! Exhaust and oil streaks very realistic, and she looks like a well-worn  high-time late production Fort. You have every right to be proud of this model. Sorry to hear about the tail turret issues on this kit- I am almost afraid to check mine, as it is still in the bag...fingers crossed!

Mike 

Thank you! Regarding the tail turret, I'm really convinced the best option is to glue each half to the respective fuselage half before. The 2 resulting gaps are manageable and this way the circular step is also best corrected.

5 hours ago, James G said:

Lovely build

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Beautiful model! Well done man! 

Best, 

Nikola

Thank you!

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful build and great choice of scheme, the weathering is first class

Thank you!

51 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Beautiful, captures the look of a combat veteran well :)

Thank you!

Hello, George72.

I would love to have your model in my collection, because it is superbly well done! And you painted it with a brush, brilliant! I no longer know how to paint like this ...

You wrote that you used a kind of local polyester automotive paint. Can you say more?.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

3 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello, George72.

I would love to have your model in my collection, because it is superbly well done! And you painted it with a brush, brilliant! I no longer know how to paint like this ...

You wrote that you used a kind of local polyester automotive paint. Can you say more?.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Thank you! But I must say it was not painted with a brush, but with an airbrush. This paint is a regular polyester automotive like paint, ready for airbrushing. Pretty similar to those from AK Metalics, which I also use sometimes.

1 hour ago, Joao Augusto said:

Wonderful! The metal finish and wheatering are amazing

Thank you!