Captain Scarlet SPV - 1/35th Vinyl - big 1st update!

I had visions of all sorts of resin beasts I could build for this GB, but most would have been fairly substantial builds, like a 1/32nd TBM-3 Avenger or Typhoon Ib “Car-door”, and I just don’t have the time.

But I came across this and I really couldn’t resist, plus it was super cheap, ~$100USD less than others around, plus a 1/35th Captain Scarlet SPV!!!! Gosh who wouldn’t want that. The model from General Products was released sometime in the 80’s and is long out of production, plus it is the only one available in 1/35th, all the others (only 3 strangely) are in odd scales. This model could be built as a Remote/Radio Controlled model or a static one.

IMG_5487-L.jpg

Unfortunately it’s not made of resin but Vinyl, something I have never worked with before (and the first Vinyl model I think for this GB as well). So some quick study on the net was required to figure out how to build with vinyl.

Similar to resin the model is cast in large pieces which is sort of nice, though there are huge vinyl blocks that’ll need to be removed.

IMG_5488-L.jpg

IMG_5489-L.jpg

As can be seen the vinyl is sloshed around the mould and is very thick, also notice the droplets on the roof of the mould. They were an issue with the lower half as I found out later.

IMG_5490-L.jpg

There are not that many parts to this model, most are the wheels.

IMG_5491-L.jpg

Plus the tracks, not the greatest mould work, being vinyl I will not replace them with scratchbuilt items, maybe a wee bit of filler here and there to tidy them up.

IMG_5492-L.jpg

You get some nice (?) white metal hub caps and a replacement fin, and some vinyl stickers instead of decals. Decals are non-existent for this model so in keeping with the 80’s vibe of the model I will use them, the letters I may replace, will see.

IMG_5493-L.jpg

Instructions……..well my Japanese is pretty bad….ok I’m illiterate in Japanese, so I’ll just have to look at the pictures. :D

IMG_5494-L.jpg

Ok so off we go…..and a hour later and one scalpel blade later I have this.

IMG_5590-L.jpg

Another 2 hours later and I have this, all tidied up, the side guards thinned down (what a job that was!!!), plus after a hot bath to help straighten some warpage in both parts. Also I have started to remove those vinyl droplets in the lower body section……

IMG_5591-L.jpg

………. this was done so I could fit a solid card base to it. This will help keep the base sort of straight and level……….

IMG_5592-L.jpg

……. just a little bit of persuasion required. Since this photo I’ve added some more support structure to this base as well as the upper body as it is really flexible. I’ll be adding more to help strengthen it as I do worry that any flexing will cause the paint to flake off.

IMG_5593-L.jpg

And this is why they provided a replacement metal fin, pretty sad huh!

IMG_5594-L.jpg

Now that's much nicer.

IMG_5595-L.jpg

The wheels, I started cutting the extra bits off them (I didn’t know all the wheels were doubles, on my Dinky one they’re just single ones), the smaller ones are ok, the big ones……. well they’re…… lets say I’ll need to do quite a bit of work to get them sorted. They’re moulded ok, it’s just how they’re meant to go together as they don’t at the moment! Plus I have to come up with a better solution with how they’re going to fit as well.

The paint colour is a bit unknown, I have found some references plus I have my Dinky Toy version. I may try and use a automotive lacquer as I think I’ll be able to get a better colour match.

So far I am enjoying this build, it’s very straightforward, it won’t be long before I can have an undercoat on her. This won’t be a super-detailed build or have heaps of scratchbuilt extras added, Vinyl models don’t have/need this….. now if it was resin!!! Plus I did for a short time had an idea to do a resin cast of her…….. maybe that is something I can revisit in the distant future.

• Like 19

That looks very nice, I've done some vinyl figures - Han Solo, Darth Vader, Princess Leia and Obi Wan. Only use an acrylic primer as enamel can cause the vinyl to go and stay sticky. I've got a vinyl Stingray that I keep looking at and then putting back in the box as it needs a lot of work. I built the IMAI SPV a few years ago and used Rover Zircon Blue which was fairly close, might only be a UK colour though.

• Thanks 1

ok that's good to know with the paint. I have some nice acrylic primer which will help.

Will try some paint combos on the leftover bits to see what will work the best.

Oo nice, vinyl is a tricky material to work with... funny that seems appropriate!

As for the decals/stickers - JBOT do decals in 1:32 scale but that might be too large. Maybe he can scale them down to 1:35 during printing.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Oo nice, vinyl is a tricky material to work with... funny that seems appropriate!

As for the decals/stickers - JBOT do decals in 1:32 scale but that might be too large. Maybe he can scale them down to 1:35 during printing.

cool, thanks for that, will have a look.

Hmmm 1/32nd may be a bit of the large side but it shouldn't be too bad. Will see if he can scale them down, else will just use the 1/32nd ones. Even bigger they'll be much better than the stickers

• Like 1

Nice one Rich

Is there an air valve on the bottom that allows you to inflate it to a bigger scale ?

Serious question, if the material remains flexible, how on earth do you get any paint to stick to it ?

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

I suspect this is going to be a model that, once painted and varnished, should be handled as little as possible to avoid the paint flaking! It will be interesting to see how it comes out but I am sure Rich will be able to sort it!

Pete

One of the issues with vinyl is over time it can sag and if it gets a bit warm it will quite happy distort itself. What some people do is put some expanding foam inside the cavity to fill it out without adding too much weight to the model. Care needs to be taken, though not to put TOO much in otherwise it starts to bulge and we don't want a fat SPV!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

One of the issues with Rich is over time he can sag and if he gets a bit warm he will quite happy distort himself

OK a slight bit of editing but I couldn't resist it !

• Haha 3

very funny Pat!!!!!:fight:

Haven't you got a crispy critter you're meant to be working on! :D

Mmm I am very aware of the flexing issues or afraid more like it. I had thought about filling it as well, but instead I plan to strengthen it lengths of plastic sprue and superglue. I should be nice an light and strong......well strong enough for light handling.

Will do more on her once I get a bit further along with the Skyhawks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

I thought about the chassis work, you could just hold it flat and pour in some liquid resin to make it rigid.

it would work until the resin starts to cure and really heat up!

• 1 month later...

Gosh I finally found this thread, not quite on the last page but very close to it!!

Ok I’d better get back to this build, been soooo busy on other builds for here and not here, plus all the usual stuff….. so no more stuffing around work time. OK lots in this update, been busy on her for 2 days.

First a warning for those with a delicate constitution, there will be some gross abuse and chopping up of virgin vinyl and plastic in this update by someone at first sight appear to have gone completely mad…… but there is a method in his madness… you have been warned!!  :door:

Ok first up the wheels…. I have/had no idea of how the 6 main sets were meant to go together and the instructions were completely useless. Doing it the way the instructions sort of reckoned would have resulted in the wheels being double the width….as it is they didn’t fit… more later on that. So I basically chopped them up and fitted them to brass tubes, while doing this I removed the moulded hubs and replaced them with the supplied cast ones.  Took some work, not 100% but do look much better.

IMG_5782-L.jpg

Ok the wheel problem….they didn’t fit, and the mounting points for them…. Well you couldn’t mount anything to those….so had to go with plan “G” …… trust me there were many more earlier even more bizarre plans!  So new thick plastic card side panels…..

IMG_5783-L.jpg

IMG_5784-L.jpg

…..chop off the excess, then repeat on other side….

IMG_5785-L.jpg

…… looks ok….

IMG_5786-L.jpg

…… test fit with wheel in place, hmmmm wheels don’t fit at all now!

IMG_5787-L.jpg

Profile sort of ok….

IMG_5788-L.jpg

…. looks a little better with the wheels, I can make it work.

IMG_5789-L.jpg

Actually both new sides at lined up perfectly, the top and bottom are perfectly level on the chassis, spent quite some time doing this as it would be very important later on.

Ok time to fit the small wheels first….

IMG_5790-L.jpg

…… next the main. The alignment is not 100% and the wheels are almost touching the body, not an issue, as it won’t be seen in the end as they are mostly hidden by the skirts.

IMG_5791-L.jpg

IMG_5792-L.jpg

Next off break of a wheel for no particular reason…… :doh:

Ok I forgot a crucial photo now, showing all this in place….trust me it wasn’t pretty as it didn’t fit even closely! The wheels now were way too wide for the body!!

Oh dear…. now what should I do……. :shrug:........... ok use cunning plan “G”!!!! Hence all that extra structure in the chassis section! :wicked:

So lots and lots of careful measuring, then some lines on the base of the chassis…....

IMG_5793-L.jpg

...… ok now kids look away quick!!!!!!! :yikes:

Some serious chopping/sawing later ……..

IMG_5794-L.jpg

…….. now it starts to look much better…..

IMG_5795-L.jpg

…. and even starts to line up properly.

IMG_5797-L.jpg

Even more careful measuring and marking…..

IMG_5798-L.jpg

……. now we are cooking!!!!

IMG_5799-L.jpg

IMG_5800-L.jpg

OK now all that extra plastic card and careful alignment comes together, first some locating tabs…..

IMG_5801-L.jpg

……… some glue……

IMG_5802-L.jpg

…. and we have it! More structure was added to firm up the whole chassis.

IMG_5803-L.jpg

IMG_5804-L.jpg

Stance and alignment is now right…….. actually there was a heap more work involved in getting it to this stage! Beside the body being quite warped it is skew as well! Only noticeable when you try to fit a nice square chassis to it…. plus there is a twist to one of the panels I can’t remove.  At an early stage of this I had thought of just squaring it up as best as I could then recasting you whole thing in resin. It actually would have been a much simpler build!!!

If I get bored with her when she’s done…… them I may recast and correct her…. I mean these models are near on impossible to buy any more and I’m sure someone would love a nice resin recast!

Ok major construction/reconstruction work is done on her, most of the remaining stuff is simple stuff. I need to re-mark some small buts and tidy up some bits before giving her a good wash ready for primer/primer filler. I’m using automotive lacquer for the main coat from a rattle can. I need to do some masking as will do some test masking as well to see how the paint/vinyl go together…. that’ll be interesting!

• Like 12

• trickyrich changed the title to Captain Scarlet SPV - 1/35th Vinyl - big 1st update!

thanks.

I did at the very start contemplate building a complete new chassis from plastic card as I didn't like the wheel mounting setup at all. But if I had have done that (which would have been really simple) then it would have ben a downward spiral as I would have wanted to replace more bits with plastic.

One thing I'm very surprised by is how well CA glue and vinyl works.....once glued there is no way they'll seperate again, the brass bits are a bit different though.

• Like 1