Miniart 1/35 SU-122

Andy J

1 minute ago, Pig of the Week said:

Having done my back over the years I know it all too well !

...if you can find some decent pain killers that agree with you, they aren't a cure but help if it's particularly bad...co-dyramolΒ  ( if I spelt it right) I found was quite good tho i needed to take a lot !!.... nag your doc to give you something heavy duty that works..Β  ;)

Looks like you're doing the proper authentic Russian thing anyway...just make loads and loads of T34s and you'll win in the end !Β  πŸ‘

Thanks Thomas....now my sides ache as much as my back πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Β 

Sorry to hear you've got back problems Andy, hopeful that your on the up now!

Very nice work on your SU 122 it has come together very well looking forward to seeing it in paint now

Β 

Β  Stay safeΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Roger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Β 

Sorry to hear you've got back problems Andy, hopeful that your on the up now!

Very nice work on your SU 122 it has come together very well looking forward to seeing it in paint now

Β 

Β  Stay safeΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Roger

Thanks Roger a few more parts to add and should be in paint soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Andy. It's coming along fine. BTW. Get yourself a back belt. It's really useful if you have any lifting to do, and supports your back.

Β 

John.

Thanks John I purchased one the other day and it's helping a lot πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

So today's update and I've managed to apply the black primer to the SU-122. This has helped bring everything together and the next stage will be to add various shades of different colours that I can reveal at a later date. I haven't added the barrels to the rear hull yet as I'm not sure yet how many to add πŸ€”.Β  There are four with the kit but I may just add two to give a more battle weary effect anyway I'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow. Here's a few pic's of today's progressΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

So that's it for now hopefully I can crack on i the next few days. Thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, echen said:

Hope you're soon fully recovered. Back pain is so debilitating - I have some expeience of it myself.

Thanks Echen it seems to be improving day by day so hopefully it won't last too much longer πŸ™‚πŸ‘

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Here's a few pic's of today's progressΒ 

Looking good. These Russian assault guns look so menacing. I'm building a couple of Pegasus Hobbies SU152 and a Zvezda SU100 in 1/72. They were pretty lethal; capable of taking out Tigers and Panthers so long as they got the first hit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, echen said:

Looking good. These Russian assault guns look so menacing. I'm building a couple of Pegasus Hobbies SU152 and a Zvezda SU100 in 1/72. They were pretty lethal; capable of taking out Tigers and Panthers so long as they got the first hit.

I agree mate very menacing indeed though I'm going for a heavily weathered and very battle weary look πŸ‘Β 

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I'm going for a heavily weathered and very battle weary look πŸ‘Β 

The weathered & battle weary su's were probably the most lethal, operated as they most likely were by hardened and experienced crews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vytautas said:

Looks good, you did a great job. I look forward to painting, it will be interesting!

Β 

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas the painting is my favourite part of any build and I've got a few new ideas to try out πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

14 hours ago, Andy J said:

but I may just add two

Β 

Two? Are you forgetting your problem with even numbers tovarisch? Better make it three for luck, da?! :)

Β 

Looking really good Andy, shame there weren't any all black tanks, I think they look ace like that!

Β 

Keith

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Β 

Two? Are you forgetting your problem with even numbers tovarisch? Better make it three for luck, da?! :)

Β 

Looking really good Andy, shame there weren't any all black tanks, I think they look ace like that!

Β 

Keith

It's the other way around mate...its odd numbers that give me the jitters hence there will be 2 barrels or 4 barrels with nothing in between allowed πŸ™„. Although at a push i could make 1 and 3 work using the following equation which I use when pushed to make me feel better;

The number one has 3 letters so 3 + 1 = 4 πŸ™‚

The number three has 5 letters so 5 + 3 = 8 πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Β 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Nice progress Andy, looking forward to seeing this build develop.

Β 

Wayne

Thanks Wayne should have some more progress tomorrow hopefully πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 1

A question Andy. I have the same kit in my stash, but it has photoetch grills for the back of the engine deck. Did you not have this or just decided not to use them?

George

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

A question Andy. I have the same kit in my stash, but it has photoetch grills for the back of the engine deck. Did you not have this or just decided not to use them?

George

I did have them George but I made a bit of a mess when fitting them and they looked a little....err......well....not good shall we say πŸ™„. Totally my fault as the kit PE is actually quite good but there are a few pieces that are so small I simply left them off as working more or less one handed they are beyond my abilities πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Β 

So finally managed to spend a few hours at the bench and have made some progress regarding the painting and weathering of the SU-122. At this point I think I should say that I'm after a worn out battle weary look so this build is far from factory fresh πŸ™‚. May not be to everyone's taste but I'm happy with the results so far though I'm still far from finished regarding the final effect I'm looking for. Here's a few pic's of today's progress.Β 

First up a few different colour shades to give me a base for the weatheringΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

Next the start of the weatheringΒ 

Β 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Β 

And finally a gloss coat in preparation for oils,pigments,washes etc.Β 

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

I need to leave this overnight now to allow everything to dry properly and hopefully I can crack on tomorrow. Thanks for looking back soon πŸ™‚πŸ‘

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

I'm after a worn out battle weary look so this build is far from factory fresh

And I would say that you have achieved that Andy. It looks really good. The weathering will enhance the look. Nice work.

Β 

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

And I would say that you have achieved that Andy. It looks really good. The weathering will enhance the look. Nice work.

Β 

John.

Thanks John I appreciate your comment mate πŸ‘Β 

34 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

A good days work there ! Gives the impression of a big hefty old metal lump now.. πŸ‘

Thanks Thomas looks a bit monotone atm but that will change once I continue with the weathering πŸ™‚πŸ‘