Miniart 1/35 SU-122

Andy J

So next up on the bench is this fine looking kit from Miniart 

spacer.png

So why this kit 🤔...well I haven't built any Russian Armour yet and feel like I need to add one to my collection. Also this will be my first Miniart kit build and already I'm amazed at the amount of plastic in the box....there's loads of it 🙂👍. Originally I planned to paint the scheme shown on the box art however I've changed my mind and im going for the paint scheme shown below 

spacer.png

This build will be weathered quite heavily as I'm looking for a well worn and abused tank and this will also allow me to try out a couple of new techniques I've been thinking about. No real update pic's yet as I've only just completed step 1 but rest assured I'll be working on this build as often as possible in the coming days so should have a proper update soon. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11

1 minute ago, vytautas said:

We are looking forward to it, Andy!

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas I'm also looking forward to it i have a good feeling about this one 🙂👍

2 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Interesting project Andy, mind if I take a socially distanced seat?

Stay safe            Roger

You're always welcome Roger thanks for showing an interest mate 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pig of the Week said:

Ahh..here you go again..! :)

I think the only Russkies I did were a T34 85 and an SU something or other as a nipper, Tamiya naturally.

this one will give you a good canvas to do your special weathering on, the Soviet stuff seems to get nice and filthy...!

Yep this one will certainly look well used when I've finished 😉👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Looking forward to this one Andy. A beast and should be fun to go to town on the weathering.👍

My feeling's exactly Stef 👍. This tank just looks really tough to me an animal if you like. I think the parts count will slow me down a bit but the thought of applying the paint and the weathering will keep my mojo going 😉👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

Count me in on this one Andy, I like Russian tanks as if you hadn't guessed! this is one I may try in the future so will look forward to seeing this one...

Ed

Great to have you along Ed more progress soon 🙂👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Different, but something that you can go to town on with the weathering. Good luck with the build Andy.

John.

Thanks John I appreciate your comment as always mate 👍 

• Like 1

Nice choice Andy. This was the second kit i brought last year on my return to the hobby. Had one look in the box and thought no way! So i am looking forward to seeing how you get along. Might inspire me to build mine hopefully.

George

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Nice choice Andy. This was the second kit i brought last year on my return to the hobby. Had one look in the box and thought no way! So i am looking forward to seeing how you get along. Might inspire me to build mine hopefully.

George

Thanks George and I agree there are lots of plastic goodies in the box. I haven't built a Miniart kit before so it should be interesting for me as well 😉👍

I think somebody does decals for the painted on branches that are shown on the box art. But maybe i dreamt that??? Perhaps somebody else knows?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

I think somebody does decals for the painted on branches that are shown on the box art. But maybe i dreamt that??? Perhaps somebody else knows?

You are correct but if I were doing that scheme I would paint them on anyway for a more realistic appearance 🙂

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Have you been buried under a mountain of sprues yet?😀

Your not joking Stef....jeez so many parts required to make a single part i don't know whether I'm coming or going atm 😂👍

• Haha 2

So today's update and I've been busy working on the lower hull and suspension. Now it may not seem like much progress but I've completed 12 steps just to get this far 🙄. This is certainly no Tamiya kit in terms of the build progress but there's so much more detail in this kit it's been a real eye opener for me. However the big question for me is...am I enjoying the build with all this extra detail 🤔...and the answer....absolutely yes I'm enjoying it it seems to be a great kit so far 😀. I had a few concerns about whether or not certain parts of the suspension would fit together correctly but so far everything is fitting together beautifully. This build will definitely take me longer to complete than I'm used to however I have a sneaky feeling it will be worth it. Here's a couple of pics of today's progress granted not much to look at but a step in the right direction 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's it for now but I'll be back at it tomorrow thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Working suspension Andy?

K

No mate they are plastic springs that don't spring if you see what I mean 🙄👍

• Like 1

Looking really good Andy, I love Miniart kits, I know that there are loads of parts to assemble but you end up with I think a stunning model and this looks as if it will be a stunner. Don't worry about the parts count count just keep building, it's looking great so far...

Ed

• Like 1