Bf-109 late G-6 G-14 Visual Differences

Ray_W

Are there any external visual differences that identify a Bf-109 as a late model G-6 or as a G-14?  Further, was there a visual difference for either variant if fitted with the ASM engine e.g. a larger supercharger intake?

Ray

Hi Ray,

According to Lynn Ritger's book 'the initial batches of the G-14s were virtually indistinguishable from the G-6s they were intended to replace'. He also includes graphics of the G-6/AS, G-14/AS engine areas indicating that they were identical.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Thanks Charlie,

I was struggling to find any significant visual difference in subject photos in trying to decide if I should be building a high-tail, Erla hood G-6 or a G-14 for my upcoming late war Bf-109 project.  No works number visible. I have the Eduard G-14 kit so expect most of the variants are on the sprues anyway.

Ray

Which specific aircraft are you modelling?

It's best to think of the G-14 more as a rebrand than a new type. It still failed in its goal of being a truly standard type. I think you'll be fine using G-14 sprues, although might be worth comparing sprue shots of Eduard's G-6 and G-14 to see if they incorporated any differences. There are some subtle variations over time as production goes on, a few different versions of the tall rudder and the canopy frame. They're interchangeable and don't exclusively denote a G-6 or G-14, you might be able to tell which you need if your subject is well photographed.

Edited by Vlad
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Which specific aircraft are you modelling?

Hi Vlad,

Post war Bulgarian bf-109 in OF Markings. Dénes Bernárd, in his book on Bulgarian Fighter Colours, which I have, cannot identify the aircraft and calls it as a G-6 or G-14 . I then wondered what was the difference and started hunting other images. 

This subject is of interest as I have not made a 109 with no angled horn balance rudder and Erla hood and this seems a good candidate, a unique scheme and fitting for my time in Bulgaria.

Eduard sprues for the late G-6 and G-14 are identical. Part selection variation is minimal and I think it gets down to individual subject anomalies rather than significant difference between G-6 to G-14. Eduard's chosen subjects do have small variation in terms of parts choice e.g. tail wheel mounting, fin/rudder, cockpit rear sloping bulkhead detail, canopy choice, and these choices apply within the G-6 and G-14 box options themselves. The important thing is everything is in the box.

Ray

7 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Vlad,

Post war Bulgarian bf-109 in OF Markings. Dénes Bernárd, in his book on Bulgarian Fighter Colours, which I have, cannot identify the aircraft and calls it as a G-6 or G-14 . I then wondered what was the difference and started hunting other images. 

This subject is of interest as I have not made a 109 with no angled horn balance rudder and Erla hood and this seems a good candidate, a unique scheme and fitting for my time in Bulgaria.

[...]

Ray

That two part volume is great and a wealth of reference! 

If you've went through the entirety of Vol. II you can see that the Royal Bulgarian AF operated some 'late' G-6s with the Erla canopy and the short tail (many of which I've seen for the first time here).

There are some photos with rows of 109s on the background that have the tall tail but Denes believes these were taken in 1945 after the war, so these may be very late production machines taken from Austria and Hungary.

If it helps, the Bulgarian AF was not happy about the late tall wooden tail on the G-6 and insisted on getting the shorter all metal one. I'll dig through my library to find the reference but it was a native Bulgarian source.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

I'll dig through my library to find the reference but it was a native Bulgarian source.

Hi Ventsislav,

Thank you. That would be great. 

I was opting for the OF markings in Soviet grey and squiggles, although, I admit that the flying image of G-6 White 7 short fin, Erla hood is one of my favourites. I still may have do it as at some time as I have the Kora decals. 

Ray

It's my (very simplistic) understanding that a G-14 was basically a G-6 with the MW-50 (methanol-water) power boost system. Both sub-types got a large range of late detail changes; clear-view canopy, tall tail, hatches, intakes, interior components, etc. 

The Mushroom book Bf 109 Late Versions Camouflage and Markings contains a very good list of G-14 serial number batches; and nicely describes details of changes over time, and peculiar to each manufacturer. 

The MW-50 components were procured and distributed separately by the RLM, which could lead to delays and problems. The JaPo book Messerschmitt Bf 109s of KG(J) 6, for instance, documents some individual aircraft built under G-14 contracts...but accepted by maintenance depots as G-6's as MW-50 had not yet been installed.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, Ray_W said:

Hi Ventsislav,

Thank you. That would be great. 

I was opting for the OF markings in Soviet grey and squiggles, although, I admit that the flying image of G-6 White 7 short fin, Erla hood is one of my favourites. I still may have do it as at some time as I have the Kora decals. 

Ray

Unfortunately, I can't find the source - I believe it was the Bf 109 special issue of the (now discontinued) Aero Magazine ("Ме 109 в България" сп. Аеро) from circa 2011 - but I may have lost it during the last move. I'll ping you if I find a reference.

So take it with a grain of salt! Considering the Bf 109 flew until the mid-1950s, and we built some trainers from spare frames and parts, I wouldn't be surprised if all metal tails were transplanted to planes whenever possible.

• Like 1

@Ventsislav Gramatski Thanks for the input. Still some time before a final decision is needed as this will be my second subject in the Bf 109 STGB scheduled to start May 29. 

Funny thing is the Me 109 supplement to the Aero magazine you mentioned has the two subjects I intend to model on the cover. Now I am on the hunt for a copy of this. 

bf109_2021GB_004

Your memory is good - September 2011 edition of Aero.

bf109_2021GB_005

Ray

• Like 2