1/35 Tamiya Wespe + a LOT of Extras

robw_uk

Hallo once more

Isn't there as a base layer the minium? I mean if you have the bare metal sheet: First degreasing, second minium, than top layer of dunkelgelb.

Am I wrong or correct? You create a distorted top color first. Ok. Beneath is what?

Usually I build aircraft.

Such an issue we have at Japanese Zero. Here you have a minium primer.

Since I never saw a tank on a battle field, I have no clue. B&W fotos tell you 50% of reality.

Your work looks really great, beside my doubts. I can compare it with trains. Here the effect you create looks realistic! BRAVO!

Happy modelling 

3 hours ago, dov said:

Hallo once more

Isn't there as a base layer the minium? I mean if you have the bare metal sheet: First degreasing, second minium, than top layer of dunkelgelb.

Am I wrong or correct? You create a distorted top color first. Ok. Beneath is what?

Usually I build aircraft.

Such an issue we have at Japanese Zero. Here you have a minium primer.

Since I never saw a tank on a battle field, I have no clue. B&W fotos tell you 50% of reality.

Your work looks really great, beside my doubts. I can compare it with trains. Here the effect you create looks realistic! BRAVO!

Happy modelling 

so yes you "should" go bare metal, primer (red oxide), main colour (dunkelgelb)... dont think I could weather that detailed (hairspray chipping would probably give it you tho).....

• Like 1

progressed this a little... started to make a (bad) base for it... small photo frame with some card to try to give a few hill edges, using acrylic binder to make that a bit more solid then some texturred mud (AK) and real earth will form the base... have some dried sea grass (thanks "Uncle NightShift" for some vegetation... may post photos of that later in the weekend if it progresses pass the mess it is now....

ok, so I invested in some AK mud effect textured paint and thought, well a muddy tank with no base looks odd so why not try a base... so an old phot frame, some card "hills" (liberally coated in acryllic binder to strengthen) and then the textured paint, some stones from the garden and then a sprinkling of dirt... need to add grass  (paint brush bristles and dry seed grass I believe) and a little bit of stowage... may even add 3 figures (2 form the kit and 1 from the tamiya german infantry with bicycle....)... anyway, go easy, first attempt.....

IMG-20220502-141009.jpg

IMG-20220502-135842.jpg

IMG-20220502-135834.jpg

IMG-20220502-135823.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Base progressing... green was mix of NATO green and light green kahki (best I had) and earth base was equal parts desert sand, khaki and then a touch of dunkelgelb. Next stop is the enamel wash earth tones and some detail painting.... Wespe still needs to be weathered but thats how it will look (in hindsight more grass where the oil drums/boxes will go may have been better...

IMG-20220514-150850.jpg

IMG-20220514-151724.jpg

IMG-20220514-154515.jpg

IMG-20220514-154522.jpg

IMG-20220514-154532.jpg

IMG-20220514-155445.jpg

IMG-20220514-155435.jpg

• Like 15

Really like how this is turning out Rob, nice job. I think the Wespe itself is spot on. I know there are some out there that lean towards very light weathering, wear and tear. If you study images, especially the Eastern Front, the AFV's and soft skins were well dogged. I think you've achieved that look. Nice all over.

earth and mud tones added (Ammo range) plus tried to add in a bit more of the green (wish I had put more grass on, maybe if I build a second diorama). Meed to paint some of the stones then start on weathering the Wespe and painting the stowage elements

IMG-20220515-155418.jpg

IMG-20220515-155412.jpg

IMG-20220515-155940.jpg

• Like 9

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking great Rob not far to the finish line now!

Stay safe          Roger

cheers Roger, need some paint time which will be in the New year, but close yes

In what is probably my last modelling day of 2022 I have continued with the diorama. First run of tracks on, wooden crates finished. Need rest of tracks on and both weathered and then the infantryman's bike painted and loaded up....

IMG-20221217-151806.jpg

IMG-20221217-154925.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

More work on oil drums  trying watercolour pencils. The buff AK Interactive was just too close to the dunkelgelb but the white cross marking works well .. may have to get a full set (not AK)

IMG-20230109-203013.jpg

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Started and ended 2023 with this (taking time to finish off a few things before I shut down for Christmas.... Think my fist diorama is done .... 

IMG-20231203-171220.jpg

IMG-20231203-171231.jpg

IMG-20231203-171249.jpg

IMG-20231203-171259.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Keeff said:

That looks great, and for your first diorama, you've done well. 

Weathering and chipping look spot on  👌

Keith 😁 

thanks Keith... unfortunately I dont have space for more bases otherwise I would do some more... might have to try a "multi-purpose" one - just a generic field or road (maybe the miniart country road set)

• Like 1