1/35 Tamiya Wespe + a LOT of Extras

robw_uk

I don't get on very well with soldering - more practice needed (think soldering the small bits was where I went wrong). Anyway Wespe hull sides continue to evolve

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

• Like 10

Soldering, superglue... they're both a sod. At least you only need one pair of hands for superglue - I seem to need at least four hands to solder anything, and like superglue, it either works first time or not at all, and I can never work out why!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Soldering, superglue... they're both a sod. At least you only need one pair of hands for superglue - I seem to need at least four hands to solder anything, and like superglue, it either works first time or not at all, and I can never work out why!

yeah some parts I just couldn't work out how to hold together...

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Looking good Rob. Plenty of PE. Takes me back to mine, which was an enjoyable build. 

This was an interesting build blog I took some pointers from, hope it's of some help.

http://www.bpmodels.net/Model/Album/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48

Cheers

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thats a great build log. I might add some wiring from the radio, not sure yet...

• 3 weeks later...

argh the 2nd track run nearly defeated me... mojo took a dip but hope to be able to get more work done this week....

ok so managed to wrestle the 2nd set of tracks in to submission until I paint, on to more of the body.... really just the tools to do and the crew added spare wheel and it is ready to be painted...

IMG-20210612-171941.jpg 

IMG-20210612-171948.jpg

IMG-20210612-172000.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

with the addition of the spare wheel mount as seen in a 1944 photo, building is finished... off to paint (plain Dunkelgelb I think)....

IMG-20210626-172254.jpg

IMG-20210626-172314.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Looks great Rob looking forward to seeing it in paint now

Stay safe           Roger

cheers Roger... will have to wait as next weekend my son is coming home from his first year at Uni, but hopefully the following weekend I can prime it....

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 7:56 PM, vytautas said:

Hi, Rob
Wespe looks really good! Like @Hamden, I look forward to painting!

How did I understand that you are going to use the tracks from the box?

Vytautas

I may do.... the AM ones keep falling apart and beginning to annoy me

• 1 month later...

finally got painting time, so interior and gun primed... going with plain dunkelgelb I think ... may risk tri-tone scheme if I feel brave enough

• Like 2

Do you PE experts use separate flux when you solder, or do you depend on the flux-core of the solder alone? And do you clean the oxides from the contact area? I'm not very experienced with PE but I thought these two things might help you with the inconsistent soldering results.

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Do you PE experts use separate flux when you solder, or do you depend on the flux-core of the solder alone? And do you clean the oxides from the contact area? I'm not very experienced with PE but I thought these two things might help you with the inconsistent soldering results.

I do try to clean the parts (badly) and I use soldeirng paste (so contains flux & solder and you dab it on... may not be the best but for what I have done so far it has been OK

16 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

I do try to clean the parts (badly) and I use soldeirng paste (so contains flux & solder and you dab it on... may not be the best but for what I have done so far it has been OK

Thanks for that. I've never heard of soldering paste. I must investigate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chipping and some detail painting. Need to add a little more dust/grime on the horizontal surfaces then I can start to button it all up

IMG-20210819-134530.jpg

IMG-20210819-134538.jpg

IMG-20210819-134549.jpg

IMG-20210819-134559.jpg

IMG-20210819-134608.jpg

IMG-20210819-134657.jpg

• Like 11

upper hull, gun and sides mounted... leaving back off for now as I need to add a box just where the gun mount is and that needs to be painted.... not 100% with the fit of the sides so a little filler needed.... 

IMG-20210824-084949.jpg

IMG-20210824-084958.jpg

IMG-20210824-085009.jpg

• Like 7